Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question about mounting racks (Thule or Yakima) on tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about mounting racks (Thule or Yakima) on tonneau

Should I do it?

I've thought about this for a while and it's getting close to snowboarding season. I want to mount a rack mount system on the tonneau for various reasons. 1) The whole thing is removable without much hassle 2) better mpg by not having your "stuff" so high up and they're also behind the cabin 3) Camper shell isn't an option for me 4) will fit in my low overhang work garage 5) etc...

I'm looking at purchasing these parts since I already have Thule crossbars.
1. Thule Tracker II
2. Thule Top-Tracks with Bolts - 60''
3. Tracker Kit

Has anyone done this here? I've seen a few of this setup before but being that my tonneau is not the most securely mounted object on the car it worries me to put any type of weight or potential wind sails on top of it. It's only mounted by two metal guides (not even hinges) towards the front, the hydraulic shocks, and the two locking latches towards each rear corner. I'm not sure if the fiberglass can handle the weight of 4 snowboards/skis and possibly two bikes and if a wind gust hits, will it stay on? I suppose if anyone has any educated guess or first-hand experience that would be very helpful.

I know Tonneau covers are built differently so opinions will vary. Mine is made by Innovation.

hmmm.. Yakima seems to promote installing it on a tonneau - http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...ack-bases.html

Last edited by TacoTruck; 09-04-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wondering, why does everyone always need to put the boards on top? They fit fine into the back of the truck. People always do that with surfboards too, I just keep mine in the back all the time. Unless I am going camping with a ton of gear, I see no reason to spend $200+ for racks!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Just wondering, why does everyone always need to put the boards on top? They fit fine into the back of the truck. People always do that with surfboards too, I just keep mine in the back all the time. Unless I am going camping with a ton of gear, I see no reason to spend $200+ for racks!
I guess it matters of you drive a SUV or a Quad Cab Truck like mine. In my case, there just isn't enough room. All the bulky boards and bindings is better kept outside when there's 3-4 passengers + luggage in the truck. It's nice to keep the luggage sealed in the tonneau.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I don't have a hard bed cover but I have seen a couple of Tacomas running around with a set up like you have described. They had a rail system mounted into the cover that was like a track I believe is something similar to this: http://www.rei.com/product/686210