Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Poor man's black pearl emblems---not bad! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Poor man's black pearl emblems---not bad! (pics)

Guys,

http://www.4runners.org/articles/blackpearl

I forgot who brought up this topic awhile back w/ a link to some Toyota Cressida owner. To recap, the guy used Pactra "Window Tint" colored paint and clear coated it. I noticed from the pics that it didn't have the metallic particles in it that give it the pearl effect.

On Wednesday, I had a doc's appointment in my old neighborhood and stopped by a good RC car store. They actually have black pearl paint so I bought that and some clear coat:

The paint code numbers are 1813 (Black Pearl) and 1814 (Clear coat).

So I carefully removed all my emblems on Wed night and test painted the Toyota one (I'm not going to put that one back on). Then I painted the Toyota logo. Yesterday, I clearcoated it and let it dry.

Well, here are the results. I think it looks good and only cost me a mere $7 + change. Much cheaper than buying the black pearl emblems, that's for sure!

And here's a close up:

I didn't do as good of a job painting the inside areas of the emblem. If I tried to get them perfect, the paint would gob up on the top of the emblem. Thus, I made multiple thin bursts of paint from a distance. From a normal distance, you can't even tell.

Enjoy your weekend everyone and be safe.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 09-02-2003 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another good use for modelling paint! Way to go, Bob!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:36 PM

That does look really cool Bob. Very nice. How many coats of each did you put on? Very nice looking. :fireman:
Old 11-15-2002, 03:55 PM

Looking good, glad to see that mod worked out for you. I think you actually improved on the Cressida idea.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Write-up?

Did you take pics along the way? How hard are the emblems to get off? Did you scuff them for good paint adhesion? What did you use? What did you put them back on with? We are all full of questions...
Old 11-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

For $7 you cant go wrong . Mine cost around $200.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good Bob. I was thinking about having my brother paint mine to match the body color of my truck. They are the only thing on my truck that is chrome colored and I hate them.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:07 PM

Got the stuff

OK, I got the black pearl paint and clearcoat at Walmart today. I have a 2nd Gen that has Chrome on it that will not be going away (mirrors, door handles, plate trim, grille surround, bumpers-for now). I really like the look of the black pearl emblems on dark vehicles (my Runner is Dk. Blue). Two questions:

1. Should I do it?
2. If I do it, should I do the individual T-O-Y-O-T-A letters above my rear plate? If so, how do they come off.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks GREAT! You can even see the hint of pearl in the close-up picture. Maybe you should start taking orders?
Old 11-18-2002, 07:06 AM

Tomus and Cebby:

I took my emblems off with monofilament fishing line. 15lb test to be exact. Waxed dental floss will work too. On my 98 SR5, I had 4 emblems to remove:

1) Toyota oval "T" emblem
2) 4Runner emblem
3) Toyota emblem
4) SR5 emblem

One too many emblems if you ask me. In anycase, #3 and #4 are the easiest to remove. #1 and #2 emblems have male ends on the back side of the emblems. #1 has 2 of them and #2 have 4 of them. If you look at the middle pic, you can see the 4 female holes in the licence plate frame holder and that should give you a good idea where the male ends are on that emblem.

As far as preparing them, all I did was to clean them with Dawn and clean the surface with alcohol before painting. In retrospect, removing the original clear coat with 00 wool or some fine sand paper and also a primer coat (maybe a white primer coat) might have been better. Since I only did #1 emblem, I may remove the paint from it and do it over again using this technique.

I didn't put any tape on the back *yet* but you can use "3M double-sided emblem tape." I believe you might have to order it b/c I called about 5 stores who said I would have to special order it from them.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 11-18-2002 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:03 AM

Bob,
Thank you! I have wanted some black pearl emblems to go on my runner since Jan., and now I can finally have them. Thanks for the detailed procedure! Great Idea as well!!!

Outkast`
Old 11-18-2002, 08:49 AM

Started already

Bob,

Thanks for the ideas on getting the rear units off. I was leary of taking them off, but it sounds like the fishing line/floss idea is a "damage free" removal technique - GREAT IDEA!!

I was itching to start last night, so I tackled the grille. On my second gen, I have the middle Toyota emblem and the "V6" designation on the grille. I was thinking of omitting the V6, but I painted it anyway - fun to mask off too.

So I roughed up the surface first with a "scotch-brite" pad and layed on two coats about an hour apart. I'll need one more coat I think, since I was doing thin coats. I bought the clear coat, but do I really need it - does it offer any protection?

To further snazz up the front end, I installed the infamous "gutter guard" behind the grille. I have it cut in behind the emblem too, but it might make it stick out too much - we'll see. I'm going to add the gutter guard behind the valence as well. I'll want to see the consensys on this "look". If too "ricey", I will yank it out - completely reversable since I did it with silicone on the back.

I'll probably start the rear tonight. Should I do the separate T-O-Y-O-T-A letters abover my plate or should I leave them alone. Might look silly being the only chrome emblem left...
Old 11-18-2002, 08:59 AM

Outkast and Cebby:

Well it wasn't my idea but I did happen to find a good black pearl paint.

Cebby: I'm not too familiar with the 2nd gen emblems so I really can't offer my opinion. Though if you suspect it will look ricey, it probably will be.

Also, I read the original Cressida guy's write up and he said that without the clear coat, the paint washes off (or something like that). I haven't actually tried washing the emblems yet, but I can tell you that the "practice" emblem (TOYOTA one) I painted does not look as shiny without the clear coat, thus I would do it.

I do think you are right to do a second coat of paint. I noticed on my Oval Toyota logo (the one in the pic), the leading edges are showing a bit too much of the silver. Maybe if I primered it, the edges wouldn't show. But I think you are right on the ball to add a second coat and that might be enough.

Cebby, when you are done, take pics and add to this thread re what worked for you. Also, I need your help w/ my amp install. Did you get my email?

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 11-18-2002 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:52 AM

Email

Bob,

Thanks for the thoughts. Regarding your ampp install, I think I emailed or PM'd you with a few questions. I haven't seen your reply yet. You can either PM me or email to mike.cebulak@boiseoffice.com. The email I have in my profile is my home one and my wife is a bit quick with the deleting (I've been checking there too - that's where your first one was) Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:43 PM

For Sale: ebay black pearls for $85

Guys,

If you want the real deal, I found a dealer who is willing to sell them for $100 (with shipping). Contact me if you are interested.

Bob
Old 11-19-2002, 01:06 AM

Hey Bob. Looks great. I would suggest anyone doing this paint procedure to take their time, do it right, do it once. It's a real pain to cut 3M double stick (I did it on my Hilux Surf to reposition) and put it perfectly back on the emblem. REMOVE all sticky goo from the back of the emblems BEFORE you paint...lots of manhandling, and chemical use. Clean it off completely if you can, any 'bump' from old glue will 'lift' the emblem and not look factory flat. Black pearl (factory) looks like black chrome. Don't use any primers. The chrome 'base' looks more correct. Scotchbrite (white) is all you need to scuff the chrome. Do a good job (even dullness) as paint likes to peel off slick chrome...it is paint. Proper prep is critical to any good lasting job. Being enamel, use light coats. A 10 minute dry time between light coats is fine. Make sure you paint in a well lit area so you can see when to stop. I double fold masking tape to hold down small pieces to the bottom of a small box while painting so I can rotate the box and spray all angles of the piece. Let final color coat dry 30 minutes. You must use clear. It adds depth and shine. It protects the color coat. If I were doing this, I would shoot a coat of automotive clear urethane as the final coat to really protect it. Believe me, once you've taken off all your emblems, preped, painted, double stick yada yada, you won't be too happy if they start flaking 'cause ya did a bum job. Take your time, do it right and you'll be happy for a long time. Good luck guys. BTW, my Napa store had the 3M grey double stick emblem tape. 1/2" wide and thin. Perfect stuff. Expect to spend a lot of time trying to cut those tiny shapes perfectly.
butnut
Old 11-19-2002, 08:14 AM

One coat of clear

I have 3 coats of Black Pearl and 1 coat of Clear. Do I need more clear coats? If not, I'll have pics of the finished grille tonight - hopefully!

I got Navy sign vinyl and put it in the oval for under the black pearl Toyota symbol to set it off. It isn't identical to my truck color (close though), but I have no way to spray that area with my vehicle color. I need a detail sprayer - already have the paint. If I hate how it looks, I'll have to break down... Sounds like a spring project anyway - By then, I'll need to repaint the black on my grille - it's starting to chip (another use for the detail sprayer)
Old 11-19-2002, 10:59 PM

Cebby. More clear would give you more durability. Don't go heavy. If it has been over a day dry time, lightly scuff with the 3M and spray. You can give 3 light coats with 10 minute dry time between coats for a good build. Let dry overnight. Enamel dries slow compared to lacquer and has a higher build. Post pics when you guys are done. It's all in the details right? :confused:
butnut
Old 11-20-2002, 05:19 AM

I'm impatient

I got too impatient last night, so I popped the grille back on at about 1am. I spent an hour+ trying to get the valence off. Stripped one of the bolt heads in the process. Thankfully, it's in a place I can cut it off. The valanence is coming off for the gutter guard mod. I like the grille - it looked good covered in frost this morning. Will take pics when I get it all together. BTW, the black part of my grille looked ragged compared to my nice "new" emblems. Maybe a little touch up is in order...
Old 11-20-2002, 05:24 AM

Thoughts

Anyone have thoughts on if I should take the "T-O-Y-O-T-A" letters off of the chrome plate surround and black pearlize them? I've thought of painting the chrome trim the body color around the plate. Has anyone done this? Am I asking for trouble..:mad:

Quick Reply: Poor man's black pearl emblems---not bad! (pics)