Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Which Exhaust System is the best(for my prefernces))
Dynomax
25.00%
Magnaflow
44.74%
Flowmaster
30.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-01-2002, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tone on mine is horrible. It is *real* loud grumble around 2k, but it isn't the right kinda grumble. It is too loud for that RPM and it sounds more like a wet fart. It quiets down at any other RPM, and doesn't growl or put-put at all, just a constant loud tick. Not to mention it tries to stall out the truck anytime I slow down. Mine is the FP214. I will be going back to the shop in the morning to see what they are going to do about it. I just can't drive another day with it. If I can't get them to let me try out other muffs before making it a done deal, I will just go back to stock.
The sound just doesn't fit my truck, it sounds like it should be on a souped up Civic.

Originally posted by Corey
Flo Pro is almost the same as my Magnaflow.
But I would not say it sounds like a rice rocket at all.
Just the oppisite.

Mine has a V8 type of tone. Sounds really nice.
If they do have the Mag, try the same part # I have that is lsted on my exhaust page.
Corey
Old 10-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Stump,
I went with the Pacesetter Monza Big Bore Resonated Pencil Tip. The part number is 95-9125. It has a 2 1/4" inlet and the tip OD is 3". Some of the guys on here are using Pacesetter's slash cut tip and they have noticed a "whooshing" sound from their exhaust. I have never heard that from mine. Mine sounds perfect, and I mean perfect. Not too loud, but enough growl to know its back there. I have listened to the Dynomax on Corey's page and mine is not near that loud, but I think the Dynomax on his page might be the Ultra Flo, not the super turbo. Hope this helps. Later.

Matt
Old 10-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
A good shop should let you listen to a fw before they weld it up.
Perhaps if they slipped a few different ones in there, then fired up the engine.

If you go with a Mag, use the part # I have on the Exhaust page.
TS1 just got Mag'd, as well as 91Runner, and Bradon.
All three were done this past week, and they seem to like the Magnaflow.

I wonder if there are different sizes in the FloPro?
Todd's really sounds nice.

Good luck on getting the right sound. Once you find it, you will know.
Corey
Old 10-01-2002, 04:04 PM

Yup, mine doesn't sound like a ricer at all. I would of taken it back asap if that was teh case cuz I too can't deal with that.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:24 PM

Corey's right, if you go with Magnaflow (which I really like, it's the perfect sound in my opinion) The part number that I have is the same one that Corey has (11225) If you want a great sound that makes your truck sound like it should (and not some stupid Honda ) I'd get the Magnaflow, A few people also really like the Dynomax's because they're not quite as loud as the Magnaflow, but still give a nice growl. The sound on Corey's Exhaust page is very nice, but definitely does not give the Magnaflow the justice it deserves.

and Corey I think you goofed up a bit when you ere saying who had recently gotten Magnaflows You said 91Runner and Bradon, hehe I am Braden

So Juppers, I personally would go for a Magnaflow (because that's what I got ) It gives your truck a very nice sound (like Corey said it sounds like a V8 ) It's a fairly loud sound, but if you don't want that then my next suggestion would be a Dynomax.

Good Luck with the situation!

-Braden

Last edited by 91Runner; 02-22-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am going to try the magnaflow. If that is still too loud I will make them order me a dynomax super turbo. If i'm still not happy, I will track down what kind of muff I put on my old Jimmy, that had the perfect sound I am looking for, I just be darned if I can remember what I put on it.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Matt, sorry to keep asking questions but youseem to be really happy with the combo of tip and muff. your running and I'm interested in it even more now. Where did you get this tip? I would really like a good chorme tip that gives good sound like you say yours does. So you run a Dynomax Turbo muffler w/ this tip and you get a good throaty sound from your Runner? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Stump1883; 10-01-2002 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:45 AM

Just wanted to post my thoughts about riding the max. With the stock exhaust and cat, the Dynomax 17747 with 2.25" tail pipe made the best sound to me. just a tad louder than stock, just enough to let you know it was there. It had a low HMMMMM to it. No resonance at all that I could tell. At 1500 rpm it was a tad louder than idle, but still that same nice, easy low HMMMMM. Well it started to get a hole in it. I had put it on in 99 or 2000, I forget. It was used though cause i had taken it off my 87 GP. So since I was having head work done also and was recomended to run a full 2.5" exhaust, I ordered a 2.5" dynomax of the same type. I had a full custom exhaust done(pics in the 90 4 runner section of my webshots page) to include a free flowing cat. Now I get the Ricer sound. Its quite a bit louder, has a bad resonance at 2000 thats very audible even in the car, and putt putts at idle up till 1500 to 2000 rpm. So I guess the stock cat acts kind of like a pre muffler. I looked through it and it was a honeycomb brick, but it was not blocked anywhere. I guess the free flowing cat is TOO free flowing. Im going to try the Monza Pacesetter tip soon. Thinking of using the dual outlet tip but not sure yet. I looked around town for a glasspack that I could slip onto or into the tailpipe and just listen to the exhaust, but I cant find one at the auto stores. Anyway, thats my ride with the max.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:04 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
oooops

Sorry Braden...
I think at least 3 have bought the Magnaflow in the past week.
You, TS1, and another.

Yeah, I had you mixed up for those two names.

Reading Willies post above makes me wonder if my Magnaflow will be to loud if I get a free flow cat down the road.
Loud is good, as long is it's not to loud, but I don't want it to sound like a bumble bee exhaust like on my son's Integra.

His sounds very nice. One of the nicest sounding import type of exhausts I have heard, but the sound does not belong on a SUV
Corey
Old 10-02-2002, 02:44 PM

Well I finally got to my exhaust shop this afternoon, and it looks like they aren't going to cut me any breaks on the second install. I'm going to call them again in the morning and see exactly what they are going to do for me cause they were locking up when I got there.

Since I was out and about, I decided to go to the parts store where I got my muff for my Jimmy a bit over a year ago, cause I LOVED the sound it made. Turns out, I had bought a Dynomax Super Turbo last fall. *DOH* I guess that answers which muff I am going to end up with. If the shop isn't going to cut me any breaks, I'm gonna order the Dynomax online and put it on myself this weekend. I have all the tools and knowledge, I just like being lazy and letting a shop do it. You live and learn, and I will still probably be able to keep the whole project under $200.

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Stump,
I got my tip directly from Pacesetter. Their site is

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/

I love the sound from my 4Runner after installing this tip. Before, with just the stock pipe out the back and the Dynomax Super Turbo, there was a good bit of resonance inside the cab from 1000 RPM up to about 2500 RPM. Especially if you gassed it going up a hill or something. I added this tip and it is like night and day. You can just hear barely enough inside the cab to know it's there, but outside it has a nice deep tone. Definitely not a "V8ish" sound, but a great sound. The tip is only about $40 so if you don't like it, you can take it off and someone on one of these forums would probably buy it from you. BTW, when you get it, you will notice the obnoxious yellow paint on the inside of the tip. Don't worry, by the time you get home, it will be gray and you will never know it was yellow. Hope this helps. Later.

Matt
Old 10-02-2002, 06:13 PM

What part number Dynomax did you guys get for a 3rd gen? I only see a center inlet on the hemi model. But I have read a bit about them being reversible. Is all I need the 2 and 1/4 with one side center, one side offset? Trying to get all my ducks in a line before the morning. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

It is the Dynomax Super Turbo Model 17747. Check it out at their site.

Matt
Old 10-02-2002, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

so how much does it cost for the magnaflow(estimate) and what exactly do you get out of it besides the nice sounds....thinking of getting an exhaust but I don't know which one, and right now I need to get a new alarm first
Old 10-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Watch out sleepy, asking people here about exhaust doen't get you very far, my poll has been split right down the middle the whole time, HAHA. But I guess it's all going to come down to my personal preference anyways. One thing to add, does anyone run a tip on the magnaflows, I really want to add a tip(chrome) to whatever exhaust I go with. So does anyone run one on a mag, if not whoever runs a mag. do you think a tip would mess up the sound of the mag mufflers?
Old 10-02-2002, 07:24 PM

Stump- I'm not sure if the tip messes up the sound of a Magnaflow, I had a tip put on mine, but as far as I know it only makes the tail pipe look better I don't think mine changes the sound at all. I have no idea what kind mine is, but it's just a chrome piece that slips over the tailpipe and is welded on about 3" under the truck.

Sleepy- Besides getting a very nice sound (which was reason enough for me ) you also gain some horsepower from it, I Don't know how much you gain from them, but it's definitely noticable. My Magnaflow cost me $65 or $70 if I remember right.

-Braden
Old 10-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

The only reason I want a tip is b/c I don't like the look of the black tip pipe sticking out from my nice chrome bumpers, it looks out of place, and breaks the flow of thing. Maybe it's just me, but I like the tip. I just need to head out to a muffler shop and take a listen to a few, would they really do that for me, put a few one and let me turn it on and listen to it in person instead of the sounds on-line(I doubt that those sounds can really capture what it sounds like in person)?
Old 10-05-2002, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

I just got my Dynomax muffler and Pace Setter Big Bore tip installed yesterday. It sounds nice and deep, not a high pitched "Rice Burner" sound at all. It's very quiet until you accelerate and get up near 1500 RPM then you hear a nice deep tone.

I could not bring myself to pay the $49.99 price at the Pace Setter website so I got the 3.5" O.D. Big Bore tip from Summit racing for $29.99 instead.
Monza Big Bore Tip

So, far this Tip doesn't make any of the hissing or swooshing noise that people with the Slash cut tips are complaining about.

Here's the link for the Dynomax muffler:

Dynomax 17747

My 2002 Runner seems to accelerate a bit quicker from 0 to 60. I'll see if the gas milage increases this next week since I drive about 40 miles/day.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Here are the pictures!!

This shows the yellow paint burning away after only 20 miles

So, the 3.5" Tip doesn't look too big or too "Bling Bling" and seems to work Ok for now.

Just got the Shell on the wife's Pre-Runner last weekend....Had to sneak this pic in too!!

Quick Reply: Poll on Exhaust Options