Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pics of the new camper

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is soooo nice! I want one sooo bad (both a taco and a camper)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I am not sure if ARE will do a window swap or not - I imagine it could be done pretty easy - but you would need to verify with your local dealer.

Pat, I bought it at a place in Prescott valley called Trucks n' stuff.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 PM

How is the rack attached to the topper? Is there a subframe that it bolts to? I want to get an topper with a rack on top.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:27 PM

nvm, I see how you did it.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:17 AM

Super nice!!!

I am glad someone finally came up with that type of system. I remember looking for a camper for my old truck and wanted the same thing but the kind that snug-top offered did not look that good at all.

Oh, I like how your 2m radio says "bajataco"
Old 03-11-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

For those of you looking for something like that; check out Leer. I know they do it. They have for a long time. The price will be a premium though.

p.s. still looks great!
Old 03-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks!

Originally Posted by blupaddler
...Oh, I like how your 2m radio says "bajataco"
I have posted that pic even before this thread, and you are the first person to ever notice that!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BajaTaco
Thanks!

I have posted that pic even before this thread, and you are the first person to ever notice that!
Probably because it's washed out and you gotta look reeeeeeeeeeeeallly hard to see it.

Good eyes! I never would've noticed that.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:11 PM

cheap plug

cheap plug

My camper is still for sale: http://hong.freewebpage.org/tacomashell.html

hong
Old 01-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

I plan to get some no-seeum mesh screen, and make full window screens for the side windows. The screens will be trimmed with velcro so that they should stick to the carpet lining of the camper for easy attachment and removal. This way, I can do full side window ventilation (with windows flipped out) and keep bugs out when I want/need to.
excellent camper. that really looks sharp. great rig. word to the wise, the no-seeum mesh screening i did with velcro shrinks and expands (grrr) depending on temperature, to the point where it peels off a bit from the vinyl around my windows. maybe you won't have as much of a problem in the camper as i do in the front of my truck. i'm not sure how i'd change things if i were to do it over again, short of stitching it on, haha. let us know how yours turns out. btw cut the mesh larger than you think you need it, then trim after it's stuck down and tested.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks guys.

I can't tell you what the cost is w/o install, because it was not a line-item on the bill, it was included in the price. Here is the break-down...

$959.00 shell w/3rd brake light, factory paint match, installed
$45.00 Limited Lifetime warranty
$178.00 screened vent work doors
$90.00 drop-down slider window
$119.00 fabric lining
-------
$1,396.00

$30.00 add for matching carpet that I bought to do the cargo deck

$1,426.00 sub total
$123.78 tax
------------
$1,549.78 Grand Total

FYI - A.R.E. no longer offers all of the carpet color options. I think they only have 2 colors to choose from now - I can't remember what the other one was - I think it was just a lighter grey, like silver. I chose the charcoal grey. The paint match is perfect.

Sorry for bring up this old thread but thats a great price for a really nice campershell. My snugtop with xtra vision shell was about 500$ without pop out side windows.

Did you put cap tape on the bed rails? I unfortunately have over the bed line x and have some water speeage problems in pouring rain but I think some silcone or cap tape will solve my problem.

Here is a picture of my truck:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~supe...os/photo1.html
Old 01-10-2006, 03:51 PM

nice, nice, looks comfortable as home. I usually throw an air mattress in the back of my runner with the seats down, and a little mosquito netting over the rear window. I have to say, your setup looks a bit more comforatble if you happen to be anywhere over 5'5" though.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

First I've seen this thread, and I'm usually on the lookout since I live vicariously through your expeditions! Very nice rig, even a good color match.

Couple questions...how's it holding up? I don't know what sort of internal bracing it has, but looks like you're asking it to support a lot of weight and potential flex. Also, curious if it would qualify as an RV = tax deduction if fitted with a porta potty and camp stove?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

You need to have at minimum a functioning toilet, don't you?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

My understanding, from claiming a boat, is that the "vehicle" needs sleeping accommodations, cooking facilities and a toilet. The boat had a removable chemical type that would be too big for his rig, but there must be other legal ways that work.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 AM

You could modify the passenger seat in the cab. My God, that would be hilarious -- pop the top off the cushion to reveal a toilet seat and rig one of the radio knobs to flush. TP dispenser would logically come out of the glove box. Hehe...I just might start working on this!

Ed
Old 01-13-2006, 06:55 AM

Dose are also make the roof rack mounts and rack.I have an are on my dbl cab and Im looking for one for my ext cab.Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

photoleif, thanks for the tips on the screens. I still haven't fitted them yet, so I will keep that in mind.

SuperDoody, yes, there is an adhesive gasket tape between the bed and the shell.

BT17R, thank you. The shell is holding up great. No problems thus far. Good question on the RV tax deduction. I never even knew about that, but it seems like it might be a stretch... I guess verifying the definition in the tax code would be a good start. If a fixed toilet is not required, a portable toilet would certainly be possible. Same for the stove, I wouldn't want to add a big fixed stove.

rugerm44 - I'm not sure I understand your post. Could you elaborate? Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 09:37 AM

Very sharp looking!
That is a great set up for storage and camping. What else can you throw on the roof besides the canoe? Does the roof rack have attachments for bikes?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:47 AM

photoleif, thanks for the tips on the screens. I still haven't fitted them yet, so I will keep that in mind.

SuperDoody, yes, there is an adhesive gasket tape between the bed and the shell.

BT17R, thank you. The shell is holding up great. No problems thus far. Good question on the RV tax deduction. I never even knew about that, but it seems like it might be a stretch... I guess verifying the definition in the tax code would be a good start. If a fixed toilet is not required, a portable toilet would certainly be possible. Same for the stove, I wouldn't want to add a big fixed stove.

rugerm44 - I'm not sure I understand your post. Could you elaborate? Thanks
It'd be cool as heck if we could get an RV discout. Time for some research!

Quick Reply: Pics of the new camper