Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance 4runner? 10-12K budget 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had that kind of money I'd buy a '98 Impreza 2.5 RS (due to DOHC) for like let's say 8 grand? then do an STi block conversion, forged pistons, Stock STi turbo, BOV, TMIC, STi Pink injectors, probably have to get a new tranny with cryo'd gears... You may not be able to do everything at once, but even if you just got a stock STi turbo and ran 6PSI, you'd get 100hp over stock. After '98 they went to SOHC to improve the NA engine's low end torque... but still my dream car... dang Subaru for not bringing the 22b to the states... even if it was a 2.2L. Imagine if they did a newer more refined version... MMM I'm going to purchase a 2001 2.5RS (easier to find with low miles even though I want a '98) pretty soon... CAN'T WAIT! Oh, sorry this didn't help out AT ALL.

Last edited by Keggo; 09-21-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some punk at my school has the 98, black, 5 speed 2 door...roll cage, he said he bought it like that, he doesnt even know what hes driving...damn
Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

ok, i may be the only one here, but why ? why would you want a 4x4 to be fast ? or to be a sports car ? if i have that extra cash, rather than making a lifted 4x4 go fast, i would buy a fast or quick "car" but thats me, please dont take this as an insult, its not meant to be, i just dont understand, then again, i didnt understand when my brother wanted to put hydrolics on his show truck, but i helped him anyways please if ya do, let us know the before and after times at the strip, good luck and do it right.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swissdrums
some punk at my school has the 98, black, 5 speed 2 door...roll cage, he said he bought it like that, he doesnt even know what hes driving...damn
OH my... ask him if he'd ever think about selling? THAT's EXACTLY what I want... but you can have first dibs...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 PM

haha, his rents bought it for him, and says "i like my car, its fast, but very jerky"
man o man
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

hahahah...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12k? spend 5 of it building a 400hp 302, and the rest putting it in and beefing up the drivetrain to handle it
Old 09-21-2005, 07:57 PM

seriously though, i would supercharge it...
Old 09-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
why would you want a 4x4 to be fast ?
Ric -

For me, I really enjoy not having to downshift just to get around a grandma in her Buick. Now, on the freeway, I just slowly put the pedal to the floor in 5th gear and rip by slower vehicles. It is also great for passing confidence; high elevation two-lane road passing no longer has my passenger(s) pushing their feet into the floorboard in fear and bracing themselves. Every now and then you get that ricer next to you that wants to be a jerk and ruin a nice night on the town with his fart-can - they are no longer an issue.

There are times when I question whether or not I really need the extra power, especially when I am at the pump and push the "Premium" button.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Ric -

There are times when I question whether or not I really need the extra power, especially when I am at the pump and push the "Premium" button.
but I bet you won't take it off
Old 09-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Looks like you have the LTD which means Auto trans. Don't forget the Valve Body upgrade. You are going to need it. Level 10 offers a great service on those. I think his username is "Transdude" here on YT.

I think that runs $500 or $600. Well within your price range!

By the way, in regards to handling and the amount of power you want...I would definetly consider firming things up a bit at the corners, or at least beefing the sways and installing disco's if you wheel. I am probably pushing about 250 at the crank and my wife has officially classified the 4Runner as an "ice cream truck with rockets attached." In other words, it can be a bit scary, especially mashing the pedal in 2nd gear. I can't imagine 300 WHP!!
They guy's name is John (Transdude) as Christian mentioned, but he is at IPT not Level 10 (I think he used to work there though). If you do the S/C route and want to drive it at all, this mod is a MUST or you'll roast your tranny. You should also put on the largest tranny cooler you can fit (make sure it is a stacked plate style).

Valve body upgrade links (IPT first link, DIY second link):
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/
http://members.cox.net/mgriese5/Level10.html

Tranny cooler links:
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ler/cooler.htm
http://www.hboss.net/4runner/tranny-cooler-install.htm
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...annycooler.htm

.....Christian, we need to get you more coffee I think.
j/k!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-22-2005 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Seriously!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ric
ok, i may be the only one here, but why ? why would you want a 4x4 to be fast ? or to be a sports car ? if i have that extra cash, rather than making a lifted 4x4 go fast, i would buy a fast or quick "car" but thats me, please dont take this as an insult, its not meant to be, i just dont understand, then again, i didnt understand when my brother wanted to put hydrolics on his show truck, but i helped him anyways please if ya do, let us know the before and after times at the strip, good luck and do it right.

No no very very valid question, I had mentioned earlier that my mom drives an S500 and my dad drives an SC430, now granted both very nice and fast cars sub 6 second 0-60 times but the ONLY real thing that I like about them is when Im in traffic that taking over doesnt require me to jam the pedal to the floor.

Plus when I was driving to west virginia on some 9% grades with 4 people and camping gear man did she struggle, slow lane going 55-60MPH, while being passed by jeeps etc.. didnt like it at all...

I just dont like sports cars no practicality other then getting me in trouble for speeding. (In my disillusioned mind when I drive my brothers 450HP 3000GT I think Im Mario Andretti and invariably get tickets without realising; drove that stupid thing twice and both times got tickets, only 2 tickets I have ever got if I may add.) , but thats me, I dont want to have 2 vehicles when one can suffice. Plus I love my runner
Old 09-22-2005, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
They guy's name is John (Transdude) as Christian mentioned, but he is at IPT not Level 10 (I think he used to work there though). If you do the S/C route and want to drive it at all, this mod is a MUST or you'll roast your tranny. You should also put on the largest tranny cooler you can fit (make sure it is a stacked plate style).

Valve body upgrade links (IPT first link, DIY second link):
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/
http://members.cox.net/mgriese5/Level10.html

Tranny cooler links:
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ler/cooler.htm
http://www.hboss.net/4runner/tranny-cooler-install.htm
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...annycooler.htm

.....Christian, we need to get you more coffee I think.
j/k!

Great! thanks for the links Ill start researching after I get some work done this morning.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:43 AM

Like everybody else said. Talk to gadget and I'm sure that you'll be able to get enough power out of your 4Runner to be very happy.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

drive my truck. You will see what a s/c can do for performace.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
drive my truck. You will see what a s/c can do for performace.
Hey Eric, do you have the VB upgrade?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

not yet. I have a Hayden tranny cooler and I don't dog my truck. Hopefully by this winter I can send mine to John at IPT
Old 09-22-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
not yet. I have a Hayden tranny cooler and I don't dog my truck. Hopefully by this winter I can send mine to John at IPT
Not to sound like a 5yr old school girl but I am pretty damn excited about taking your truck for a little spin this weekend.

Hey if everything goes to plan I should have a SC and URD upgrades within the next 6 weeks and we can take our vehicles to IPT together maybe get a 2 for 1 discount
Old 09-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

I talked to John about a group buy/ discount. He very nicely explained that his prices are already extremely low, especiall for the quality of work he performs. He then tells me that if I get like 10 or so people he will happily cut us a break.

I am not going to try to wait or get that many people together. It is a few hundres bucks--I will just get it down when I have the $$$. I was thinking about a road trip to see him. Have him do the work, then hit up Paragon or something on the way back.

I think my truck is quick. It moves, gets through traffic nicely and will piss off a ricer (i get a kick out of it when they try to crap, that and I love the expression on their face when they get smoked by a FILTHY truck on 33s)

Quick Reply: Performance 4runner? 10-12K budget 3rd Gen