Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Optima Battery (Red Top) for my Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regular batteries use a lead acid base to them, optimas and odysseys use spiral cell technology which is proven to last longer. They are not the same

However I would say that my work van uses a 65 series battery which has about 800 cold cranking amps. The van is used daily for up to 20 hours a day sometimes on and off all day long, battery powers my 2 way mobile radio (2 meter), my computer from AAA (stay on all the time) and the air compressor and never a problem. Left the lights on once all night and day it cranked over with ease. These are just plain old AAA batteries we have in there (cause we sell them) nothing special. Other van uses a special 75 series dual terminal, same thing it hasnt died yet.

My bosses 75DT only quit after it was discharged like 50x b/c he was dispatching and wasnt on the road and didnt run the van alot.

So either battery is ok really depending on use, although a fully sealed spiral cell deep cycle is better in the long run as it will last longer and can be drained down alot.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also, the sipral cell optimas have a WAY higher recharge rate so for stereo's and such things that put sudden drains on them optimas will charge back up faster so they ARE better for these type of situations period.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 AM

That was my whole point of just suggesting a deep cycle. A few months back someone was complaining that he had been back to the autoparts place 5 times to swap these "junk" Redtop batteries. It's not the batteries. He was doing it by draining them over an over with his amped stereo. It's the way they're designed and there fine if you use them for what they are intended, "Starting". If your going to use if for anything else, spend the cash and buy a deep cycle, Optima or not, you'll be better off when powering accessories.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the 34R but you will need a spacer that you can get from optima. Ive had mine for two years now and so far it hasnt let me down.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
Regular batteries use a lead acid base to them, optimas and odysseys use spiral cell technology which is proven to last longer. They are not the same

However I would say that my work van uses a 65 series battery which has about 800 cold cranking amps. The van is used daily for up to 20 hours a day sometimes on and off all day long, battery powers my 2 way mobile radio (2 meter), my computer from AAA (stay on all the time) and the air compressor and never a problem. Left the lights on once all night and day it cranked over with ease. These are just plain old AAA batteries we have in there (cause we sell them) nothing special. Other van uses a special 75 series dual terminal, same thing it hasnt died yet.

My bosses 75DT only quit after it was discharged like 50x b/c he was dispatching and wasnt on the road and didnt run the van alot.

So either battery is ok really depending on use, although a fully sealed spiral cell deep cycle is better in the long run as it will last longer and can be drained down alot.
Where is it proven? Where is a comprehensive unbiased review of this? I can find you reviews of the Tornado that goes into your intake for better fuel economy but we all know that thing is a piece of ˟˟˟˟ that doesn't really work but marketing keeps on shelves nationwide for $60.

I cannot find one real test where an Optima battery outperformed another quality batter at half the price. If such a test existed I'd be happy to see it. Everything good I hear about the Optima comes directly from their marketing word for word.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM

Battery

I sent you a message about the battery--interested

Sorry to Hijack a little also--but think of it this way--keeps you post at the top

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
LOL, yeah i would keep it if not for needing the $$

And long story short the custermor service at Odessy is great. The positive terminal on that one was a little too big and i took it by a loacal dealer and he said they will send me a new termainal for it. So i called and they just sent me a new battery instead so i have an extra one sitting there ready to go in perfect condition. Just doesn't have a wanranty.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:02 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that standard lead-acid batteries should not be run at extreme angles, while you can safely mount an Optima on its side. This is a consideration when you are off-camber on the trail.

I used to have a standard battery in my truck bit it failed after a year, it looked like one of the cells broke loose and shorted out. I've had an Optima red top in the truck for 6 years with zero issues.

- Matt
Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Where is it proven? Where is a comprehensive unbiased review of this? I can find you reviews of the Tornado that goes into your intake for better fuel economy but we all know that thing is a piece of that doesn't really work but marketing keeps on shelves nationwide for $60.

I cannot find one real test where an Optima battery outperformed another quality batter at half the price. If such a test existed I'd be happy to see it. Everything good I hear about the Optima comes directly from their marketing word for word.
Aren't You being a hypocrite yourself? You say Optimas are only "known" to be better because of their marketing word. But you yourself are preaching of how they are not because of the "word" of your father in law. Isn't that the same? Who's word is better? He's been in the battery industry, but hasn't Optima too?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Don't waste your money. They're all made in the same factories, Optima just has awesome marketing. I'm not trying to start a flame war it just that my fiancee's father has worked in the battery business for over 30 years. Their batteries at 3x the cost of any other name brand is not 1x or 2x, and certainly not 3x better. It does look cool so if spending $150-$180 on a battery for looks is worth it then give it a go.
Why would one want a brittle plastic box filled with concentrated liquid sulfuric acid under the hood of one's car if there was an alternative. My first Optima red was still going 7 years later(albeit at slightly reduced capacity), after being drained flat twice(by accident) in it's life. IMO, that's roughly 3x better.