Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ok, truck been running great for a year and then all of the sudden won't drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieleephd
Fuel Filter x? this is where I would start other than the MAF plug! and intake tube.

Crap can back out of the filter then when you go to start it clog it quick.
usually this issue is the intake or the fuel filter could be the air filter though
Rare but it could be!

Vacuum can usually be heard if it is the instigator!
he said his funds are very limited, so in a limited money situation or a normal situation checking possible causes is the smart thing to do before you go and buy something to put in and see if it works
Old 07-13-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I use an K&N filter in my air box, makes this cheap!

Last fuel filter I got was about $20.00 and last I checked that was much cheaper than a
Fuel pump!!!
And no one said to go buy one all that would have to be done is to pull the filter pour out
the remaining fuel through the inlet and flush with more fuel or just blow through it!
Re-install an see!
This will usually tell you if you have so much in your tank that you should think about flushing it out sooner than later!

listening and cleaning the intake then putting it back together the right way making
sure that the maf plug is tight using dielectric on it seems to be a hell of a lot cheaper than
throwing parts at it!!!

Any way he can do it him self or go throw that money at a good Toyota Mechanic
Which we all know is the cheapest thing you can do!!!

Last edited by eddieleephd; 07-13-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 AM

thats my point

Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL, yeah i plan to check everything out first then try parts.

Just got the 300zx started yesterday, now going to try to get it running right today. As soon as i get it running i can start working on the 4runner. Just have to get that 300 done first.

In a way it is kinda fun having to drive the MR2 that doesn't have an exahust. My ears are ringing by the time i get anywhere and i sound like a ricer but it does like the open exahust and really moves with the new turbo!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a thought and I see no one mentioned this but with high humidity, temp goes down at night, very low fuel in tank, you may have some H2O in your gas tank from condensation. Sometimes this will cause shudder/spurtering when fuel level is low and condensation collects in the bottom of the tank, even after you add new fuel it still can be sucked into the fuel line. Would be worth putting can of dry gas in the tank, can't hurt and may absorb any extra condensation. That would also explain why when you got home everything was fine, temp drops condensation forms in tank and the next morning you got problems, just a thought as I had it happen to me so I never let my tank run below 1/4.

Another thought along the lines of letting your fuel tank run too low, another friend of mine routinely let his tank run low and after awhile he had on going issues with the fuel pump. They don't like to suck air, so it still may be a potential fuel pump issue as well, but try the dry gas additive. good luck

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 07-14-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Just a thought and I see no one mentioned this but with high humidity, temp goes down at night, very low fuel in tank, you may have some H2O in your gas tank from condensation. Sometimes this will cause shudder/spurtering when fuel level is low and condensation collects in the bottom of the tank, even after you add new fuel it still can be sucked into the fuel line. Would be worth putting can of dry gas in the tank, can't hurt and may absorb any extra condensation. That would also explain why when you got home everything was fine, temp drops condensation forms in tank and the next morning you got problems, just a thought as I had it happen to me so I never let my tank run below 1/4.

Another thought along the lines of letting your fuel tank run too low, another friend of mine routinely let his tank run low and after awhile he had on going issues with the fuel pump. They don't like to suck air, so it still may be a potential fuel pump issue as well, but try the dry gas additive. good luck
Interesting idea, and it is possible. Though it does not get cool enough here for due to form (low are still WELL into the 80's at night) but we DO have a LOT of humidity. I will look for that dry gas additive, can't hurt.

I usually never run my tank below 1/2, in this case just more driving then normal got it low.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, well figures, went out this weekend to look at the truk and low and behold, it starts up and runs great!

Didn't touch a thing. I had a feeling this would be the case but don't you hate it when it IS the case?

As a side note here is what i was also working on this weekend:

[YOUTUBE]3u_UTDIs1uA[/YOUTUBE]
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 AM

If it happens again, check out the TPS. I wouldn't say they are notorious for them, but it is about the only thing that does go bad on these trucks.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jeremy9allen
If it happens again, check out the TPS. I wouldn't say they are notorious for them, but it is about the only thing that does go bad on these trucks.
Will do!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, so drove it for a week or so after my last post when my exahust decided to fall off while going down the road (bolt came lose that connects the headers to the rest).

So got that fixed today and started back up, at first all was well, but then after i let it idle for a little bit i tried to drive it and the problem is back!

I am thinking it is the TPs but can a TPS really do this much?

If i press the gas just a little it will stutter real bad and it will even die, can a TPS make it die?

If i press the gas down further, it will drive/rev fine.

Sure sounds like the TPS but how can i test it? do i have to replace it or can i fix it? i really need my truck in the morning to tow an RX7 i am about to buy.

So any help would be good and quick.

Also where can i get a TPS for cheap and NOW?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Local parts store should have a tps.. I like my aisin electronics but in a bind use what you can.. Your close to Toyota of Dallas I'm sure, they might have one for a decent price..

Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

And another odd thing, when it is stuttering, it seems to lose spark and then regain it from time to time. The RPM's will be up and then suddenly drop like a rock like it lost spark and then come back, all the while the engine stays running and RPM's only change slighty, sounds horrible though).

Anything with the ignition system that could be the problem?

I also tried unplugging the TPS altogether and it seems to do pretty much the same thing only you can't ever get it to rev right but if you slowly roll on the gas it will rev smoother.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba
Local parts store should have a tps.. I like my aisin electronics but in a bind use what you can.. Your close to Toyota of Dallas I'm sure, they might have one for a decent price..

Hopfully, will check it to find out.

I hope that like before i start it up tomorrow and it runs fine so i can go get the car.

If not then i get to try to fix it.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, so after messing with it some more it finally threw a code, pulled it and sure enough it is the TPS.

So i am now looking for a new TPS, found one at pepboys but they want $100 for it!

On ebay they are $45 but i can't wait for shipping. Fun either bite teh bullet and pay out the nose for the TPS now or wait and lose the car (which i have waited for months for).

Choices, choices.....
Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Well I think you ought to pay out the nose, Losing the RX is much worse than paying 50 more to get your 4Runner running
Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GLittler
Well I think you ought to pay out the nose, Losing the RX is much worse than paying 50 more to get your 4Runner running
LOL, same part, just a $50 price differnce (actually the ebay one is OEM toyota). And paying out the nose WILL allow me to get the RX7, saving some $$$ will make me lose it.

The 4runner will get fixed right no matter what, i take real good care of my cars, the RX7 though i have been waiting to long to just let it slip away.

Just the thought of ~500rwhp LS2 in a 2400lb car is enough to make me giggle like a school girl . The 4runner is great, and with the SC pretty quick but there is nothing like a REAL sports car with an american V8 under the hood.

Once you catch the power bug it is nearly impossible to lose it, guess thats why i have been building fast cars since i learned how to drive. Heck going to the dyno tomorrow to see what the MR2 can do with the new turbo, should hit ~325rwhp if i am lucky on a bone stock engine.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Kinda sounded like the TPS.

I just changed mine on my 2.7, It was sorta a PITA, To get the lower screw out I just broke the rest of the sensor off..
It was bad anyway

Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba
Kinda sounded like the TPS.

I just changed mine on my 2.7, It was sorta a PITA, To get the lower screw out I just broke the rest of the sensor off..
It was bad anyway

I might have to do that, i am having the same problem with the lower screw on mine, i was just going to take the TB off but this might be easier.

Was lucky and found a TPS for $50 locally.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Glad you've narrowed down your problem TA, hopefully the TPS will fix it
Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by okie81
Glad you've narrowed down your problem TA, hopefully the TPS will fix it
Yeah i hope so too, will know in a few hours, the part should be in the store in an hour or 2.

Quick Reply: Ok, truck been running great for a year and then all of the sudden won't drive?