Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OH MAN!!....Don't tell me there's a problem with the rack!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Sublime,

Don't worry much about not knowing alot about cars- I'm 30, and I've probably learned more in the last 3-4 months than in the previous 14 years! That's what yotatech is all about. To if your stearing rack is going bad, I think you basically get underneath the vehicle and try to shack the inner tierod. It shouldn't move much if at all, and if it wiggles around a bit, thats a bad sign. Someone else may correct me on this.

yeah but the sad thing is, whats a tierod and where is it at.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:05 AM

KEISUR!! :pat:

Last edited by sublime_4runner; 07-10-2003 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:11 AM

Re: Mikey

Originally posted by TOR

Sublime, first off I like the name that is one of my all time favorite groups. Secondly, don't feel bad that you don't know much about cars. At least you have forums such as this to help you out when you need it. Let me know if you ever need anything for your rig or if you have any question I am always happy to help if I can.

Todd

todd

thanks for the help. its one of my favorite groups too, plus i like the definition of the word. i think it fits my car well but probably everybody thinks that of their own vehicle
Old 07-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sublime_4runner
yeah but the sad thing is, whats a tierod and where is it at.
They are the rods coming out of each side of your rack that connect to the spindle, look at this picture. the stick sticking out of the boot in front is a tie rod.

Last edited by keisur; 11-17-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:57 PM

Sublime- I don't beleive you have a rack and pinion in yours if its a 92. I believe they went to that set up in 95 when the tacomas came about.

Back to this rack issue- Man I'm really hosed about this!!! I haven't had that much luck with this truck. Granted its not a Ford but between the stinky converter, tires cupping, I lost my turn signals, and now this rack thing I'm getting a little mad!!! What really bugs me is that I just drice it to work and back. I don't beat this thing at all.:pat:
Old 07-11-2003, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Mikey
Sublime- I don't beleive you have a rack and pinion in yours if its a 92. I believe they went to that set up in 95 when the tacomas came about.
well that makes things much easier. thanks mikey!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:25 PM

Sublime- The only thing i read about the early 90 toyotas was the pitman arm wearing out (I think it was the pitman arm??) But it'll cost you a ton less than this lousy rack and pinion ordeal. Installed probably about 100 buck or so.

Keisur- Man!! I'd say that CV boot had it in your picture!!
Old 07-12-2003, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mikey
Keisur- Man!! I'd say that CV boot had it in your picture!!
yea, that was from a thread that Toyo_Runner96 posted about his boot rupture:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...7&highlight=cv
Old 07-30-2003, 10:52 AM

I have a 99 Taco (64k) with what appears to be the same rack problem. It's loose on the driver's side, and it's not the tie rods.

Do you have a ton of vibration at highway speeds ? I just replaced the shocks, lower ball joints, and tie rod ends.. it tightened things up, but I still have the vibration and shimmy especially in the steering wheel.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:51 PM

rcrop50- Sorry for the extended delay. My old computer went the way of the do-do bird and died. So I finally got a new one and am back on line

Yeah, I notice it shaking much more. I fact it's getting worse. It's not awful yet but I feel it in the wheel. Check your rack. That's probably where it's coming from. Lower Balljoints!! Man. That's the first I heard of anyone replacing those on the Taco's:cry:
Old 04-23-2004, 11:36 AM

Unhappy rack and pinion prob?

undefinedundefined
Originally Posted by Mikey
Anyone else notice this??? Has anyone had a problem with a Rack and Pinion??
hey i was 4 wheelin the other night and the next day had a small puddle under the truck. i got to lookin and there was a tear in my passenger belows boot. it was leakin oil. i have been told that this means the rack and pinion is bad. any thoughts? i have also heard this is a prob with 96-98 tacomas.

justin

'97 tacoma v6 3.4 4x4 3" revtek suspension lift, k&n fipk, flowmasters, 32x11.5x15 bridgestone dueller a/t's
Old 04-24-2004, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by tytataco4x497
undefinedundefined

hey i was 4 wheelin the other night and the next day had a small puddle under the truck. i got to lookin and there was a tear in my passenger belows boot. it was leakin oil. i have been told that this means the rack and pinion is bad. any thoughts? i have also heard this is a prob with 96-98 tacomas.

justin

'97 tacoma v6 3.4 4x4 3" revtek suspension lift, k&n fipk, flowmasters, 32x11.5x15 bridgestone dueller a/t's
Yeah, more than likely. I'd take the boot clamps off and pull the boot back. If there is oil inside the boot then you got a problem too.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:36 PM

I just checked under mine and my rack and pinion boot on the passenger side is totally ripped. I just poured a litte bit of water out of it also. Does toyota just sell the boot for the rack? Won't I have to take out part of the rack to put on a new boot? I wonder if the rack is ruined now since I've gotten water in it....grrrr...
Old 05-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by data
I just checked under mine and my rack and pinion boot on the passenger side is totally ripped. I just poured a litte bit of water out of it also. Does toyota just sell the boot for the rack? Won't I have to take out part of the rack to put on a new boot? I wonder if the rack is ruined now since I've gotten water in it....grrrr...
Yes, they sell just the boot. I think I paid about $12 for the set. I don't quite remember, I got mine from Todd (TOR on this forum). Mine didn't come with new clips for the inner end (the larger diameter) so I used a nice ziptie and it has been just fine.

To install you will need to disconnect the outer and inner tie rods from eachother. yes, alignment afterwards unless you either don't care or are really good. either way, a $60 alignment is worth it just to make sure. if anything they can just check your alignment which should be free or very cheap if they charge at all.

Last edited by keisur; 05-08-2004 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Part # for the boot is 45535-35030, yesterday I was getting my new exhaust system installed and noticed my right boot was torn from a recent outing, so I had ordered 2 boots, they are $12.00 each.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sublime_4runner
yep thats what im asking. because i sure dont got no $900 to spend. sorry im so dumb about all this, im just a kid. and a girl at that
sublime, you won't have rack and pinion steering on your 92. We have good strong steering on ours. We also have a stronger fully boxed frame. If only we had those 3.4L engines, our trucks would be perfect.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:51 PM

Need a new steering rack for my 01 taco w/46000 miles. It started with a bad inner ball joint that I ignored, this bumping has caused the rack shaft to get loose and leak too. POINT IN CASE: replace a bad tie rod as it is putting stress on your rack. Hope somebody has one for sale, if not I'll go through the steering shop for $265 and keep an update if problems arise.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

thanks, I look forward to pics and your opinion on how it is performing because I've been nursing a loose rack for a while now and I may need to get a $265 rack sometime soon too. please keep us updated on how it performs.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 PM

more help

I was on an outting and smashed the $#%$ out of the right tire. :pat: It looks like the inner tie rod is mess up pretty good. (had to adjust the outter 10 turns to get home)

My question is can I just replace the inner tie rod?
Is the rack going to be ok?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yes the inner tie rod can be replaced.....

After refreshing myself with this thread and reading the original post, I doubt that rack was toast if only one side had play, most likely a worn joint.

Quick Reply: OH MAN!!....Don't tell me there's a problem with the rack!!