Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is the new V8 worth it compared to the V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sac State,

Is that mileage according to your trip computer, or are you actually calculating based on fillups? I just ask because that's easily the best gas mileage I've heard for the V8.

I am leaning V6 because, from what I have read here, on Edmunds, etc, there is about a 3 MPG difference for 4WD versions. To me, that's worth considering (along with the $1200). And after driving both, I think the V6 is close in feel. Also, it seems like I can find a better deal on V6 SR5 right now, since there are more of them out there...

Either way, the new engines both kick ass
Old 08-08-2003, 09:56 AM

I think the engine noise issue is an early production thing and not an issue for anything built after 6-03. That's my understanding of it.
I think Mish was taking some calculations on V6 mpg- very happy as I remember.

Man, I'm going to stop reading this forum for awhile so I can enjoy my truck!

Last edited by FirstToy; 08-08-2003 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:16 AM

I have the V8 in my SR5. Just got back from vacation. Put 700 miles on the new rig. I'm at 7500 miles and purchased mine back in January 03. Mileage has been getting better ever since I first purchased this truck! It started out at about 15mpg 50 city/50 hwy. On my way down to vaca, I stopped to fill up. Put in 89 octane. Drove hwy. down to vaca and 4 days of city/hwy before filling up again for the ride home. I calculated it out to be 17.5 mpg. That is amazing for a V8! My wife and I took the truck to Maine two months ago. 5 hours of driving all hwy. and I was getting almost 19 mpg. Not bad for the V8. With all the problems I read about the V6, you can't go wrong with the V8! It's tried, true and proven to be pretty bulletproof. It's still going to take a while for the V6 to prove itself. For the small difference in gas mileage, you can't go wrong. Got to love racing people off the line. They look at you going, "Holy sh$t, that's a 4Runner!" And the tone of the engine as you hit the gas, no words can explain other than the V8 rocks!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by romus
Test-drive both trucks on the highway get them running over 75 miles an hour for a few miles. Then decide which one you like. The V6 4runner that I have runs smooth & quiet and has plenty of power. Good luck
On the highway the V8 pulls past 100 don't know about the V6 but his thing has alot of power
Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 AM

Re: Is the new V8 worth it compared to the V6

Originally posted by abunich
Considering a lomited 03 in black. Is the V8 option worth it? Used mostly in town as an everyday car.
If your buying it get the V8. easier to sell and will give you a higher return
Old 08-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Sac State,

Originally posted by Hannerhan
Is that mileage according to your trip computer, or are you actually calculating based on fillups? I just ask because that's easily the best gas mileage I've heard for the V8.
Either way, the new engines both kick ass
I use magic gas. My thinking....if you continually calculate statistical info make sure it is consistent.....I use the trip computer. I drive about 15 miles round trip to work, averaging 20-25mph and fillup about once a week. When I travel highway and 75mph, I average about 18.6mpg.

I realize the onboard mileage calculator has been accused of overinflation by some posters, but then again as long as it is consistent and within the guideline set by EPA, I am happy.

Last edited by Sac State; 08-08-2003 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

I have a V8 in mine, because i do a lot of towing and hauling. Horsepower was not an issue, just torque. I think the V6 is adequate for most driving situations and styles. IMHO, if you tow, get a V8. If you don't plan on towing much of anything over 5000 lbs get the V6, it offers plenty of pep and decent torque.

Both engines have gotten praise from all over the place, so I think you'll be okay with either.
If you really want speed get a Supra. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:06 PM

I didn't read all the posts... But, didn't someone dyno the V8 and say the listed HP was lower than the 3 runs they had ? By something like 30HP ?

I have the V8 and love it... The real kicker between the V6 and the V8 is the 5sp tranny... That is where the V8 shines and gets it's edge, IMHO.

FWIW: If I recall correctly, the V8 isn't really full time AWD.... It switches prower (%) between the front and rear wheels as needed... Sort of like the Porche AWD Twin-Turbo 911.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:16 PM

V6 versus V8 could almost become a religious debate. Both are fine engines, and you have a risk with the V6 of the engine being new, while the V8 has a brand new transmission.

I have one of the first V6's built and have not had a bit of trouble with it (I don't count the fuel damper recall as an issue because it didn't cause me any problems). It runs well, plenty of power for our needs, gets 21-22 mpg on the highway with no difference in 87, 89, or 93 octane fuel. At highway speed (70 mph), there is plenty or reserve to get around an 18-wheeler in a hurry.

The truck has been at the dealer all week while I was out of town so they could work out some squeaks and rattles -- certainly something that is not related to the engine. But the service manager -- who used to work at the local Lexus dealership -- told me this afternoon that they had a great time riding around in the truck while they were finding the cause of all the rattles and that it's fun to drive. (BTW, they think they found them all.)

You can't speculate on the variables you can't control-- if Toyota had matched the V8 with the 4WD system that's on the V6, that would be a great ride. Then again, if they would put the 5-speed with the V6, that would probably give better acceleration and better mileage.

Basically, figure out what you'll be using it for and what you can afford, then buy what fits best.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:34 AM

I've been a V8 guy forever, so I'm allttle biased here, But just start up the V8, and you know you've made the right decision. Right after we bought ours, we went out and started a v6 to see what it dsounded like. Not as good as the V8, Just has that certain sound that makes it worth it, plus the torqure is nice, I tow a small boat, but thats about it, the V6 would do, but hey muscle cars where overpowered, why not my new SUV.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:08 AM

I got the most rattling early V6 here and besides rattle and Toyota's Corp. assholeness I like the setup. Power is good and I am towing 4000Lb boat with 5 people easy, no problem with 75 mph on freeway.
If Toyota was to stand up for their f@ckups I would buy another V6, 20+MPH is something V8 could never get
Old 08-09-2003, 01:40 PM

I understand the V8 in the 4 Runner is the same I had in my 1991 Lexus 400 which I just recently sold to get the 2003 4 Runner.
Since 1991 this engine has been great never had a problem and ran very smooth. From my experience you could not ask for better.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:46 PM

I recommend the V-8. The power is effortless and you can use 87 octane gas which more than makes up for the mpg savings on the V-6 which requires 91 octane gas.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by rayh78
I understand the V8 in the 4 Runner is the same I had in my 1991 Lexus 400 which I just recently sold to get the 2003 4 Runner.
Since 1991 this engine has been great never had a problem and ran very smooth. From my experience you could not ask for better.
Both are great V8 engines but Im not so sure the 4.7 shares anything with the LS400 engine you had, your LS was a 91 and the 4.7 was brand new in the LandCruiser/LX back in 99 and then dropped into the Tundra in 2000, the LS was a car engine this 4.7 is a truck engine, from what I read they are different
Old 08-09-2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by hunter3203
I recommend the V-8. The power is effortless and you can use 87 octane gas which more than makes up for the mpg savings on the V-6 which requires 91 octane gas.
Both engines require 87 and not 91! BS you might have heard about V6 and 91 comes from ignorant dealerships that do not read manuals for the car.

So your 20.5mpg on V6 is different from ~15 on V8, no matter how much you do not care about the money.
My gas and my truck is paid by my company, that I own anyways and normally one would not care about the money on gas in similar situation, however I think that hauling just my skinny ass daily with V8 power is simply wrong for the environment sake and all.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by rayh78
These are completely different motors, thay might share some things theoretically, but not more than that. 4.7 is great and reliable motor and I am sure 4.0 is also fine if properly adjusted, I could fix the rattle cheap, but choose not to, because Toyota the way it acts deserves no favors, their ˟˟˟˟˟ does stink and they know it
Old 08-09-2003, 02:42 PM

The V8 delivers better performance than the V6, but you won’t notice a huge gain. The difference will be noticed primarily after hooking up a trailer. I think the V6 drives smoother then the V8 because the V8 4WD 4Runners operate in full time four-wheel-drive; unlike the V6 4Runners, the V8 4WD models do not offer a 2WD High mode.

If you going to use it mostly in town and as an everyday car go with the V6 but if you need it to pull then buy the V8.

Last edited by romus; 08-09-2003 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:56 PM

I assume V8 would gain speed faster with boat on the back, but even with V6 I push gas very smoothly and accellerate adequately, because giving more gas would only result in overheating transmission and ripping out my towing gear. I think anything below 5000lb on the back does not need V8. Even 7000 lb of towing (with additional transmission cooler) is still possible on V6.
I would take V8 now, only because of the engine rattle, but I am sure this issue is not permanent and not every V6 has it.

Possible plus of the V8 is 5 speed automatic, I think this transmission might be better and smoother than what 4 speed V6 has. I am kind of tired of jerking from first to second and running in between gears from 3rd down to 2nd.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Mish
I think that hauling just my skinny ass daily with V8 power is simply wrong for the environment sake and all.

I don't know where the 91 for V6 and 87 for V8 comes from. I think both do fine with 87 or 89 octane. I put in 89 and it's great. I've read others use 87 with no problems.

Well, I noticed the 1st on the V8 is very short and I believe it's geared for towing; which is why it's so good off the line. Anyway, the V8 is great but that was once a "new engine" just a couple short years ago too. I believe the V6 is a solid engine. Toyota knows how to make V6's. I also believe the noise is isolated to the pre-May 03 trucks. Mine is really quiet.

Like Mish said, it just didn't make sense for me either. I'm not towing huge and honestly, a pop-up camper or flatbed is the heaviest I'm probably going to tow (My V6 is rated to 7500lbs. Not sure on the V8...must be more tho).

For my beloved road trips, I need the best MPG's for range. Synchronizing gas and bladder stops would be ideal- range depends on how many Cokes and snacks I eat on the road :pig:

The V8 is marvelous but I think the V6 is the best comprimise between power/fuel economy/ daily driving/ off road.

I like the t-case switch better than full-time 4wd. My totally unreasonable dislike of the full-time system is a boss of mine had a Land cruiser and the AWD busted. Don't know details but he was without for about a week. Anyway it's a stupid reason but I like the choice to select drive options better.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by jharris2
V6 versus V8 could almost become a religious debate.
Gosh I think you're right!

Quick Reply: Is the new V8 worth it compared to the V6