Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Member. 12 Years Dealer Experience.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, according to the site, they have a ton of turbo's that will fit in my truck...sweet, and the prices are similiar to the SC..some are even cheaper....
Old 02-26-2003, 05:17 AM

Jay it seems to me people ar misdirecting their anger towards TRD to you which obviously you don't deserve. This is very typical of people with aftermarket parts. I love my aftermarket parts but I can't blame Toyota if some of my parts fail - especially considering the use that I put my truck through at times. Keep your chin up man, there are plenty of people here who appreciate your advice.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jx94148
Wow, this thread is a head scratcher.

I don't blame Jay one bit for washing his hands of the S/C issue. He can't fix it from 3000 miles away. Give the guy a break. He has better things to do with his free time. The pointed questions being asked may be more likely to drive him away from our message boards. Don't bite the hand that feeds you to put it bluntly.

If you go into a dealer's service dept. demanding that they do a bunch of stuff for free that you heard about on the internet, I doubt they would be very happy with you. Likewise saying stuff like, "A mechanic on the internet with 12 years of experience says it might be...", probably won't win you much respect either.

That's all I have to say about that for now.
Matt,
I respect your opinion although I don't agree with your theory for how to deal with a dealer. As for respect ... well what can I say. If YOU don't respect me I am sorry, but I am not worried about the dealer. Matterafact, it works exactly the opposite of your perception ... as long as I act with the proper respect and intent. I have been through this many times with other Mfg's and other problems. The problem, in general, with us as consumers is that we are willing to take the lame excuses and promises that mfgs make and remain complaisant. We never take them to task for their irresponsibility. We say ... it's General Motors and we will never be able to reason with THEM. Well, that is just not true. A good arguement can get results, a-n-d with the proper reinforcement, changes can be made. If you come from fear, you get squat! I am not saying that I WILL have any success with Toyota. Afterall, they are not an American company and their support system here, from what I have experienced thus far, is less than acceptable. They are strictly mainstream for the consumer. Did you know that Toyota has the largest privately owned R&D oval test track in the world and it is right here in this country, but they try to keep its indentity hidden? It's in Arizona some place I think. Anyway, what you guys don't realize is that negative publicity has taken on a whole new dimension since we have the Internet. If I tell you that I have had the worst experince(s) with SLP Performance. They are liars and I know of many others who have had similar experiences with their Headers and TC's, do you think I might give a number of you rason to pause and consider not buying from them? They are going to lose sales. I have found that one of the problems we as men have is that our egos refuse to let us admit when we made a mistake and a poor decision ... or that we really don't know. That in itself is irresponsible. Ie: I was reading a thread on LED bulbs and a guy referenced a URL for a mfg. What he failed to say is that he had not had experience with the mfg or the product and that if you bought these bulbs they would not fit without alteration to the lamp housing. How many guys do you think were ready to go out and buy bulbs from that company based purely upon the shallow suggestion he made. I don't fault him on what he did but he should have given a disclaimer. I am sorry to digress here but there are many guys who, if and when they have the money, will want to buy a Supercharger. Many of them are like me. They want the added zip without the zap they would get if they had to start playing Rube Goldberg. They may not have the knowledge or willingness to get into what could amount to an additional +$2K in parts, time and service with aftermarket tuners and parts suppliers. Many of them use their 4Runners as their sole source of transportation and can't afford the down time.

I don't want to go into a dealer, throw my weight around and demand that they do a whole bunch of stuff for free ... I could give a damn. I spend on an average of $10K / year on aftermarket auto parts and services for my hobby. I want what I paid for, and in this case it is a plug and play Supercharger :rolleyes: I also want the service accountability that is outlined in my service contract. I, like you, want the best bang for my buck ... can you blame me. As for Jay leaving the board, I doubt he will do that and I am sure he is not thin skinned. He is already picking and choosing what discussions he will and will not get envolved in as we all do.

Thanks for your comments Matt.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:28 AM

Hey Victor, I'm not angry at anyone or anything ... just disappointed and frustrated. No big thing. I can always take the SC off and sell it for salvage
Old 02-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Away

Peter,

I had a busy day yesterday. I was out and about most of the day. As for your fax, I don't know if I understand why you feel the need to send it. Maybe so you have some proof later that you told them ahead of time what you expected during your appointment?

But, as I and several others have already mentioned, your beef is with TRD and not the dealer. Yes the Sport T-Stat and colder plugs will help minimize the ping, but you're still going to be running lean under a load. The only way to fix that is to redesign the fuel system or install aftermarket parts and the dealer CAN'T and WON'T be doing that.

I doubt that anyone at the dealer knows as much about the S/C as you do at this point. So, with that said, I'd direct your energies, if you really want things fixed "correctly", toward TRD and having THEM admit there is a problem and making THEM provide the fix. The dealer's hands are practically tied in this situation.

If you aren't going to be driving the truck aggressively, then the T-Stat and plugs might be all you need to have the experience with the S/C that you are looking for. Somehow, I sense this is not the case. It wouldn't be satisfactory for me either.

Yes, the dealer's should know about ths stuff, and yes TRD shouldn't be selling them without additional upgrades. Most aftermarket S/C kits include computer and fuel upgrades, even on units that "only" provide 6-8 lbs of boost. Most of them cost over $4000, too...

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 02-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Victor
I can't blame Toyota if some of my parts fail
You can if they are Toyota aftermarket parts WITH a warranty.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Peter,

I had a busy day yesterday. I was out and about most of the day. As for your fax, I don't know if I understand why you feel the need to send it. Maybe so you have some proof later that you told them ahead of time what you expected during your appointment?

But, as I and several others have already mentioned, your beef is with TRD and not the dealer. Yes the Sport T-Stat and colder plugs will help minimize the ping, but you're still going to be running lean under a load. The only way to fix that is to redesign the fuel system or install aftermarket parts and the dealer CAN'T and WON'T be doing that.

I doubt that anyone at the dealer knows as much about the S/C as you do at this point. So, with that said, I'd direct your energies, if you really want things fixed "correctly", toward TRD and having THEM admit there is a problem and making THEM provide the fix. The dealer's hands are practically tied in this situation.

If you aren't going to be driving the truck aggressively, then the T-Stat and plugs might be all you need to have the experience with the S/C that you are looking for. Somehow, I sense this is not the case. It wouldn't be satisfactory for me either.

Yes, the dealer's should know about ths stuff, and yes TRD shouldn't be selling them without additional upgrades. Most aftermarket S/C kits include computer and fuel upgrades, even on units that "only" provide 6-8 lbs of boost. Most of them cost over $4000, too...

My .02
Dr. Z
The short answer here is that I agree with everything you are saying ....

The long-er answer is:
I am starting a paper trail because, in my experience, that is the only way you get results in what is, shall we say, a friendly adversarial relationship. Phone calls dwindle into hearsay and vanish from memory very quickly.

I know my "beef" is with TRD and the dealer knows that too. What I want is to stir things up to the extent that the dealer, a-n-d TRD, will realize that I am not going softly into the night and therefore they need to communicate with me. At this point, the dealer is not putting me directly in touch with the right person(s) at TRD. I get the feeling that TRD doesn't want to talk to the consumer (yet), at least in my case. I think that Gadget has had a dialogue with TRD but that was a while ago and since he went Hi-Tech, his situation is far beyond their concern or responsibility. I kept hearing before I bought the SC that some (mysterious) guys have done things that really brought out the beast in the SC. These statements were delivered as if they were folklore.

The dealer has admited that he doesn't know that much about the SC except that he wants to keep selling them and doesn't want bad press. He is very interested, or so he says, in coming to a solution for what he knows are common complaints and glitches in the system. I am not so naive to believe that he is not withholding information and I know that when he told me that TRD wanted them to handle the problem the same as they would if it were an NA vehicle, he did so with an aire of disbelief and skepticism. I am hoping that after this appointment, the dealer will introduce me to one of THEM and I will be able to establish a dialogue with THEM. I move very slowly and without being haughty, because these guys in the dealership do not respond well to ranting and raving. They'll spit on my hamburger.

Dr. Z you have a PM
Old 02-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Away

Originally posted by ManyMods
<snippity> Dr. Z you have a PM
No I don't...

Dr. Z
Old 02-26-2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
No I don't...

Dr. Z
I suck at multi-tasking ... try again. :confused:
Old 02-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Away

Okay, I got it now.

I will reply to after I install some new spark plugs which mysteriously arrived in the mail yesterday...

I have no idea why SparkPlugs.com would send me some.

BBL
Dr. Z
Old 03-11-2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Jay
The part you are talking about is called the "Blower Motor Resistor". It is located near the blower motor, should have 4 wires leading to it, and has one screw fastening it into the cooler unit. Very simple repair.

However, you state the fan works in all but the third one, which I assume is medium-high. (Low, medium, med-high, high) The resistors are in series to one another, meaning that if there was a problem with the med-high resistor, you would loose all speeds below it. Id presume you might have another problem.
Jay, I checked the switch. All contacts are solid. I then disconnected the harness to the blower motor resistor. I get good readings from every wire when I cycle through the switch positions - a steady current on each one and 12v on the H postition. It appears that a steady 12v is fed through the H position and then the resistors step down the output power - I looked up a blower motor resistor on e-bay and found this which matches your description:

This does not look like mine. Mine has 2 screws mounting it and there is a large ceramic cover over the actual resistors in the unit - another one I found had exposed wires in back of it. Since I have current in all positions I am planing on changing out the blower motor resistor - does this sound like a good idea or did I miss something?

Almost forgot - Jay I don't think I described the problem correctly. I get air in all positions but on med-hi it steps down to the setting for lo. It looks like the resistor pack is shorted down to lo in that position.

Last edited by Victor; 03-11-2003 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:19 AM

Just called the Toyota dealership - they want $67.85!!
Old 03-11-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Jay
I saw this comming years ago... when I first heard about the dealer installing superchargers offered by TRD. The Factory warranty does not pay the dealer to attempt to fix your car. If there is a problem with the design of the TRD supercharger, or the compability with the powertrain (as many threads on this board point out) youll find little help out of the factory warranty, or extended warranty.

Have you spoke to TRD? Has Gadget not exhausted this dilemma with them already?
This may be a little late, but are you saying that if you have an SC and the auto tranny goes then Toyota Extended care will not cover it?
Old 03-11-2003, 12:09 PM

Well it looks like I'll be patrolling for a used relay. Anyone have a wrecked 4Runner? I'll take a pic and post details to tell this relay apart from the stock one that most of the other models have. Although both Checker Auto and Carquest list an application neither had the right pins.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yikes!!

Please let's not run off Jay. He is obviously a great dude for helping us all out like this.

Jay - I wanted to say THANK YOU for your input and help to everyone here on this site. Your knowledge and opinion is invaluble and very very much welcome on any topic here.

I have an easy question for you...lol
'90, 4WD, 3.0L, IFS - when you install low profile bump stops, have you seen anything negative go wrong related to the axles, cv's, etc? My entire truck is at 217,500 miles without any rebuilds and I dont want to do any mods that will hurt the longevity of the truck....

thanks man
Steve
Old 03-11-2003, 02:45 PM
CTB

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
yikes!!

I have an easy question for you...lol
'90, 4WD, 3.0L, IFS - when you install low profile bump stops, have you seen anything negative go wrong related to the axles, cv's, etc? My entire truck is at 217,500 miles without any rebuilds and I dont want to do any mods that will hurt the longevity of the truck....

thanks man
Steve
Low profile bumpstops aren't gonna hurt anything...just put them on already!!
Old 03-11-2003, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by CTB
Low profile bumpstops aren't gonna hurt anything...just put them on already!!
I put 3 of them all on one side today and left the other side stock. Tomorrow is the big offroading day to measure the difference. I guess Ill have to take pics eh? But I guess Ill finish slapping them on tomorrow. Liquid wrench is amazing btw....lol
Old 03-11-2003, 03:20 PM
CTB

Ya, I had 5 come off easy, and one just wanted to be stubborn. It was so hard to get off...I almost turned the nut into a circle!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Jay

Victor - There were two styles of resistors, one did have a ceramic shell and the other had exposed coils. So the fan speeds you get are (from left to right) Low, Med Low, Low, High? If this is the case I suspect resistance in the Med High circuit, not a short. I short implies less resistance. Your symptom does not resemble any symptom that has led me to the blower resistor. I instinctivly wanna point you to the blower fan switch itself.

FattyCBR - No, I was only refering to warranty coverage where the super charger and driveability was concerned.

Bumpin' Yota - I cant think of any problems you would have with the bumpstops. However my expertise is repairing the vehicle and restoring it to the way it comes new. I am of little help in regards to 4x4 modifications and the like.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Jay
FattyCBR - No, I was only refering to warranty coverage where the super charger and driveability was concerned.
Thanks for the clarification, you had me worried there.

Quick Reply: New Member. 12 Years Dealer Experience.