95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Member. 12 Years Dealer Experience.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 02:52 AM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Member. 12 Years Dealer Experience.

Hello

Just offering my advice to any of you needing it. I have 12 years of dealership experience working on Toyota's. I currently live in Oregon. I own a 98 xcab Taco 3.4L.

I have spent a few hours reviewing the topics, and see some rather valuable advice from your peers. Some of you really know your stuff. I applaud you all.

Jay
Old 11-05-2002, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome Jay. We are glad to have you. I know for myself, as well as others, that it will be very beneficial to have you here and give your advice on things. Thanks for coming and enjoy your stay! :fireman:
Old 11-05-2002, 04:59 AM
Erc

Wow!! Awesome to have someone here who trully knows these vehicles (not that others don't )
Welcome aboard!
Old 11-05-2002, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Jay,
Welcome to the club. What part of OR. are you from?
My wife's family lives in Bend, and I will be up there in Dec to try out Mount Batchlor (since Utah DOES have the best skiing, i have to compare it with something )
Old 11-05-2002, 05:24 AM

Welcome to the board Jay!!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the board Jay, glad to have ya here. I can't wait to hear some of your insight on the topics raised here. Glad to have ya here, and I hope ya enjoy are happy little community,lol .
Old 11-05-2002, 06:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the boards Jay.
It's always nice to have technicians on tap for valuable Toyota info.

I read your reply on the brake pads with the part # designating it's from the US instead of Japan.
That might be my problem, I'm not sure.

Dealer replaced front pads a year ago, and they squeak every morning for the first minute.
Or that could also be the condensation wearing off that collects over night.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:16 AM

Welcome to the board Jay!!! Whoa we got ourselves another techy.

Danny
Old 11-05-2002, 06:36 AM
Away

Welcome Jay! Glad to have you aboard.

Dr. Z
Old 11-05-2002, 06:37 AM

Welcome Jay!

It is good to have you and your wealth of knowledge join us. It is also good to see that not only have you worked on Toyota's for 12 years but you also own one.......That speaks volumes about the product!!!! I have a friend who is a Jeep wrench at the local Jeep Dealership and he would never own a Grand Cherokee....he bought a new Honda Accord!!!!

Again, welcome......
David
Old 11-05-2002, 06:40 AM

Welcome dude! Don't take our dealership (sometimes referred to as stealership) comments to heart. Some of us have just had bad exp. w/them and like to share our bent-up feelings hehe.

Anyhoo...glad to have you here. I'm sure you will be able to offer us a lot of insight. Cheers.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:48 AM

Jay..A question..

Can you think of any long time negative affects of the the air box and silencer mods outlined in the tech pages?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:08 AM

Hi jay,

Well i'll get right to it then. I have a 90 4runner v6 and it has a terrible valve rattle on the drivers side. Pinging and can't get the timing right no matter what i try. Does this sound like bad valves or possibly burned valves. Passenger side just had the gasket done. Loss of power when warm, and gets progressivley more noisy. I'm considering having the whole thing rebuilt, but if it could be just a head that needs replacing would be much happier.

Also SLC Punk,

You have heard of Whistler right. Utah may be the best in the USA but we still got snow up here. LOL

Thanks in advance
Steve:beaver:
Old 11-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Hey dlotoy4runner, I just now noticed that you are from High Point, just like me. Sorry I don't know why that shocked me soo much, maybe it's because most everyone here is fromt he west in some way. That is awsome to finalyl meet someone that lives here in NC, let alone someone that lives in the same city. Any ways I just had to say hey and make a contact.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:09 PM
Jay

Originally posted by SLC Punk
Jay,
Welcome to the club. What part of OR. are you from?
My wife's family lives in Bend, and I will be up there in Dec to try out Mount Batchlor (since Utah DOES have the best skiing, i have to compare it with something )
Beaverton.

Originally posted by HBoss
Don't take our dealership (sometimes referred to as stealership) comments to heart. Some of us have just had bad exp. w/them and like to share our bent-up feelings hehe.
I understand. I work hard to not let this kind of impression be made with my customers. I like to think Im the most honest mechanic youll ever meet.

Originally posted by 4skiner
Can you think of any long time negative affects of the the air box and silencer mods outlined in the tech pages?
Nope.

Originally posted by Babypig
Pinging and can't get the timing right no matter what i try.
Actually sounds sorta like the timing belt is not set up correctly. Like the Drivers side head's camshaft is off time ( which drives the dist ).
Old 11-05-2002, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Re: New Member. 12 Years Dealer Experience.

Jay: this isn't 4Runner related, but it is Toyota Related.

I have a 1993 Camry V6 XLE with 121,000 miles.

I had a problem with the transmission not shifting correctly in cold weather. After the car warmed up it was fine. Accelerating out of the parking lot (only in the mornings) at 1/3 throttle, the car would feel like there is no power, then out of no where it would "FEEL" like it shifted from 1st to 3rd gear, the RPM would drop and it wouldn't move. The engine doesn't stall, but I have to let off the gas to get it to start moving again.

I replaced the auto tranny fluid and filter, and added a conditioner. The fluid was pretty bad but not burnt. There wasn't very many metal shavings by the magnet, and no chunks of metal. No change, I changed the fluid (via drain plug) again 3,000 miles later and added more conditioner. After this change it shifts a lot smoother and it no longer cuts out, but I still feel less power when in the morning. I don't accelerate fast when it is cold, so can you tell what the problem is?

I checked the spark plugs and they still look good, and the gap is ok.

I am an ex-ford mechanic so i know the basics of engines, drivability but my knowledge on auto tranny's is very limited..

What do you think?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:36 PM

hey, and welcome. it will be good to have you here and i bet you will have some really good/interesting opinions and feedback.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:44 PM
Jay

What do you think?
I think you are beginning to show signs the transaxle doesnt live forever. Definitally the weak part of all front wheel drive AUTOMATIC toyotas.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:45 PM

Jay you have a PM
Old 11-05-2002, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jay,

Welcome aboard! I'm a former TMS USA guy from Certified. Didn't spend a lot of time there but just enough to figure out that TMS is one truly dysfunctional family.

Bob

Quick Reply: New Member. 12 Years Dealer Experience.