Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need ur expertise

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need ur expertise

Mornin' Gentlemen,
I'm new here, and after doing a couple of days of research on the boards, I have some questions that I couldn't find answers to.

My Rig:
1994 4Runner, 4WD, auto. 114k miles on the truck, 54k miles on the block. Auto tranny rebuilt summer of 2001.

My problems:
1. general lack of power (compared to a couple years ago... we went to the Blue Ridge pkwy this past weekend and it rarely made it out of 2nd gear)
2. even crappier gas mileage than ususal
3. phantom oil loss... seems to lose about 1qt every 1100 miles or so. Cannot find a leak. Oil is not in the engine coolant, nor is it in the tranny fluid. No drips under the truck and no oil coating on the underbody to indicate a major type of leak. I did find that the valve cover gasket on the driver's side is leaking near the firewall.

What I've done:
1. new spark plugs (wires have been ordered)
2. new dist cap and rotor button
3. new O2 sensor
4. UKMeyers airbox mod.

Results:
1. smoother throttle response
2. shifting is much more smooth
3. exhaust doesn't smell as much like raw gas

While I was underneath working on the O2 sensor, I noticed that my cat has a bit of a rattle and there are several quarter-sized rust spots on the muffler. I picked at one and I bet that I could rap on it hard enough with my knuckle to make it pop through. So my next question is: I know that I am looking at a new muffler soon, but is my cat fried (i've always heard that if it rattles the brick inside is shot).

So I need exhaust suggestions. I plan on keeping this truck for many more years (because, after all, it's paid for!) So I don't mind sinking around $500 in the exhaust. From what I can tell, the Downey headers are well respected, but I don't know who is a reputable seller of them. If I did go with the Downey headers and a custom crossover, what type of piping and muffler would be good to look into? I want better flow, but this vehicle is largely used in a "soccer mom" capacity right now... so a loud muffler would not meet with spousal approval.

Thanks!
Reepicheep
Old 08-31-2003, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 93 and think I have developed an exhaust leak up by the cat or even before it (I hear what sounds like a leak when driving next to a wall on the passenger side) I'm going to try one of those free flow cats and probably the Downey headers. I have a Borla stainless cat back setup that I've had on for a good 5 years +. No small accomplishment being in the rust belt.

You may want to change the fuel filter while you are at it. Its on the right side tucked up above the frame rail. I've not done mine yet, but I hear it's pure joy...

Welcome aboard!!
Old 08-31-2003, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech Reepicheep, First you might want to change your pvc valve and like Ceeby said your fuel filter. Also check your tire pressure, most keep theirs at 32 to 35psi. Check your timing, may be off. Your cat. probably is bad and it will cause poor performance. You can get a free flow one through performance products, check vendor links, as far as muffler, many here like the Dynomax. It is not supposed to be very loud and its around $50. As far as new headers, Check with Mike at Extreme Offroad. He has been very helpful to alot of people here, including me. Hope all of this helps.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Set your timing to 12 degrees advanced.

2. Change your fuel filter.

3. Clean your throttle body.

4. Exhaust.

5. PVC - I also am losing oil at the rate of about a quart every 1K miles. I do know that I leak a little oil but it isn't enough to leave spots on the ground. I put in some stuff to seal up the gaskets a little while ago and it didn't really do much. So I think my problem is pressure related. I just had my PCV replaced this week. So we'll see if it helps the problem.

That ought to make your rig run much better.