Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need some advice on SC'd 4runner purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I'd steer clear of any "modified" vehicle unless you can verify exactly how well things are installed. People take so many shortcuts when trying to modify vehicles for more power. Instead of investing the money for the correct mods up front they wait until something happens on the back end. I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend on this 4Runner but I am sure there are plenty of lower mileage stock 4Runner out there that have less headache potential.
And believe me, I have concerns about the same thing. I am trading him my 2000 Excursion with a V10, 7" lift, and 37s for this 4runner. Based on value, they are the same. The way I see it is that my rig as well as his requires a specialized individual to purchase it. I am not scared of mechanical work either.

He says he has all records of the work done by Toyota when they installed the Supercharger. I am hoping that Toyota had the insight to tell him that he needed fuel upgrades as well, and therefore he did it. I am just waiting for his response today.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
And believe me, I have concerns about the same thing. I am trading him my 2000 Excursion with a V10, 7" lift, and 37s for this 4runner. Based on value, they are the same. The way I see it is that my rig as well as his requires a specialized individual to purchase it. I am not scared of mechanical work either.

He says he has all records of the work done by Toyota when they installed the Supercharger. I am hoping that Toyota had the insight to tell him that he needed fuel upgrades as well, and therefore he did it. I am just waiting for his response today.
Toyota and TRD state that the stock injectors and fuel pump will supply sufficient fuel with the s/c installed and that fuel upgrades are not needed. so im sure that they didnt tell him squat about fuel upgrades.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo3
Toyota and TRD state that the stock injectors and fuel pump will supply sufficient fuel with the s/c installed and that fuel upgrades are not needed. so im sure that they didnt tell him squat about fuel upgrades.
Okay. I just got off the phone with him. He told me that the only upgrades were a larger injector. It was done in Minnesota so the tech didn't even do the lower thermostat or colder plugs. He said that it does ping even with premium under load below 2000 rpms. The supercharger oil was changed at 118K.

Makes me wonder since every gas station out here runs ethanol during the winter as to how it would react. Our lowest Octane is 85-87-91 out here since we're at 5000ft in elevation.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kaleb
It's called a fork lift. You can see it holding the tire up, and in the reflection of the runner.
i agree
Old 09-13-2007, 10:59 AM

its still a sick pic
Old 09-13-2007, 12:35 PM

This is what I know. Its a 2000 SR5 Sport. 143,000 miles on it. The TRD Supercharger was installed at 96K along with a new timing belt by a dealer. It also has the TRD Headers and TRD exhaust on it. It does have the E-locker rear as well.

Other than that its pretty much stock, or he hasn't mentioned anything other than that. He claims that synthetics were used with Lucas additives. I know this should never be a selling point since everyone sells a car for a reason.

My question is in regards to the supercharger and motor. Its got 47K on it since installed and I am curious about the reliability and longevity of the motor. He did say that the supercharger oil and stuff was changed recently. Any advice on this? I have never owned a supercharged rig, but have heard of them needing maintenance every 50K or so which worries me. All my experience is with 22REs and 3.slows.

What kind of mileage should I expect? Can I run normal 87 Octane or does it need premium? Any issues with high elevations? What upgrades should have been done or will need to be done to it because of the supercharger? From searching, it looks like a tranny cooler will be needed. What else?

The general plan for this rig for the first 8 months is simply as a daily driver for my wife. However, I own an offroad and fabrication shop, and I will eventually use this rig as the marketing base for the business. The plan would be to drop a Diamond front axle underneath it, 5.29s, HP E-locker front, and 37s. However, I will immediately put on an OME 2.5" lift and some 285s on it since it needs tires anyway.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
put it this way, any motor thats had forced induction without fuel upgrades has a much shorter lifespan than one with fuel upgrades. The main problem is burnt valves due to lack of fuel "lean out" & ping-even if he said he's never heard it ping he's lying. The other thing is the tranny. The valve body needs to be upgraded or your gonna have burnt/slipping clutch packs in there thus eventually needing a new tranny.

A runner thats supercharged for 40k out of its 160k mile life is not worth the same as your excursion with everything youve done on it, youll need new heads and a tranny before you know it.

Do yourself a favor and go over to customtacos.com and start poking around and asking questions - youll see. Good luck.

Last edited by j-man; 09-13-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Okay. I just got off the phone with him. He told me that the only upgrades were a larger injector. It was done in Minnesota so the tech didn't even do the lower thermostat or colder plugs. He said that it does ping even with premium under load below 2000 rpms. The supercharger oil was changed at 118K.

Makes me wonder since every gas station out here runs ethanol during the winter as to how it would react. Our lowest Octane is 85-87-91 out here since we're at 5000ft in elevation.
ok, just read this post: He said it does ping, well then your gonna need new heads/valves soon. Remember, he's been running like this for at least 40k miles - not good. do yourself a favor and get a runner thats never been blown - thats my free advice - it's your $$. Do your reasearch before messing with forced induction.

I know cause i had a tacoma that was supercharged and a lot of trial and error was done on it. Going one step further - superchargers suck, go intercooled turbo and tune it right from the begining - youll get far more power and pump much cooler air into your motor.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by j-man
ok, just read this post: He said it does ping, well then your gonna need new heads/valves soon. Remember, he's been running like this for at least 40k miles - not good. do yourself a favor and get a runner thats never been blown - thats my free advice - it's your $$. Do your reasearch before messing with forced induction.

I know cause i had a tacoma that was supercharged and a lot of trial and error was done on it. Going one step further - superchargers suck, go intercooled turbo and tune it right from the begining - youll get far more power and pump much cooler air into your motor.

I appreciate the advise. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 PM

Man it never gets old seeing pictures of that 4runner its shweeet....i remember seeing it on craigslist 2 times i think he was asking 15 or 17k who ever the owner was seemed to have had a hard time selling it.