Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need Help Asap Pleaseeee!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Asap Pleaseeee!!!!!

i HAVE A '96 RUNNER SR5 MANUAL 3.4l, my engine has seized and I need to replace it. My question is will a 1999 AT supercharged motor fit and work n my '96 manual? The dealership is saying no because the wiring harnesses are differnt and that the supercharger was made for an AT vehicle. What do you the experts think? Thanks in advance.!!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

a supercharger, assuming its a TRD supercharger, is made for any type of motor, AT or manual. Im sure the wiring harnesses are different, but I think you can make it work, I dont know the details, maybe someone else can help on that.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RIPPER
i HAVE A '96 RUNNER SR5 MANUAL 3.4l, my engine has seized and I need to replace it. My question is will a 1999 AT supercharged motor fit and work n my '96 manual? The dealership is saying no because the wiring harnesses are differnt and that the supercharger was made for an AT vehicle. What do you the experts think? Thanks in advance.!!
The supercharger, if it is a TRD supercharger, will work just fine. I do think the wiring harness changed a little, but I don't know that it was enough to make the swap that difficult. I think the ECU was changed in 1999, so you might have to purchase the updated ECU. I know someone who managed to wedge a 3.4L engine into a 2nd Gen 3.0L 4Runner. If that can be done, and the wiring harness created for that conversion, I know the dealership can install a newer 3.4L where a 3.4L originally existed, if you want to fork over enough dough.

Good luck.

-Sherpa

Last edited by Sherpa; 01-25-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:21 AM

Thanks for responding so far. I knew that some swaps have been done and thats what drove me here. I think Toyota is trying not to do this cause they just called and said they would recommend the '96 motor be replaced with the same year to make it easier. Well I am not easy for $1300 labor and parts if it will fit it will go in. If I have to purchase new wiring so be it.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

I replaced my '97 with a 2000 engine. I just unplugged the whole harnass, and used my original one. The only thing which is always the question about engines which came from an auto is that they have the hole in the flywheel for the pilot bearing.

I would defenately recommend buying a newer engine and use the old harnass.

I found it easier in the swap too, since the harnass goes overtop the trannie to the oxygen sensors and 4wd indicator switches on the transfercase. I left the harnass in the vehicle and after I unplugged it, I laid it down on the windshield.
To unplug the fuel injectors wiring I had to remove the intake plenum which is minor. It might be a bit more work with a supercharger installed.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
take it some where else then the stealership. any compentant performance shop could manage that swap no problem.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stegall984R
take it some where else then the stealership. any compentant performance shop could manage that swap no problem.
I had two friends helping me and it took us about 6 hours (a long evening) to get it done, nothing hard about it.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RIPPER
The answer is yes it will work.
If you are going to use the AT then you need all the harness and the new ECU (from one with an AT). Superchargers are not specific to any transmission so the dealer is full of it on that one. You could just use your old harness and everything should bolt right up (I know the MAF was different in 99+ as was the TPS too I think....but they should still use the same connectors). Also as was mentioned, be sure to check the crank for the size to insert a pilot bearing (some ATs have smaller holes).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-25-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 AM

Thanks all for replying. I am having pictures taken of the flywheel to show the mechanic the pilot bearing hole. I will need to keep my old throttle body and MAF and some other stuff just in case. If all goes well I should have my baby back next week. I need to get a hold of Gadget for his charger upgrades now.

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

So what happened to your engine if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 PM

I was parked at work and revved it up to 3k when snap, rattle and roll happened.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK now the dealership says they wont install the motor I found due the difference in years and AT to Manual. They say the harnesses are dfferent and they wont work. Also they say that the suprcharger they will not install due to problems being installed, especially wones with the 7th injector. I checked and this one has no 7th injector. Anyway does anyone know of a competant place in NC that i get this swap done at? Thanks