Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mysterious Plugged hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious Plugged hose

Just picked up a 1996 4runner, automatic transmission. While I was poking around under the hood I noticed that there was a soft hose about half inch diameter running up the drivers side of the engine right around the number 4 cylinder. Previous owner installed a separate trans cooler and disconnected the lines for the rear heater located under the passenger seat. I have a feeling this hose may be related but after scouring diagrams and shop manuals I have not been able to figure it out. It has about a foot of soft line and right around where the block meets the oil pan it goes to hard line and appears to run toward the passenger side. I tried tracing it underneath but didn't want to lay in the snow too long. Any ideas? I plan on doing a JDM engine swap in the future so I'm sure I'll find out its just been something thats nagging me. Will take pictures next time I'm out there.
Edit, took this screenshot from a youtube video, thats the approximate location and that line may or may not be it, hard to tell from the video

Last edited by mrwuffles; 02-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
That is the breather for the front differential, does it have a breather cap attached to the top of it. Difficult to tell which hose you are circling. And save your exhaust when you do the swap, JDM engines cross over pipe go under the engine not over the bell housing like USDM.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 02-11-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, yeah it has a breather cap, and thanks for the heads up I've been looking at just stripping the jdm to a long block and then transferring all my US accessories. Plan on setting up two engine stands side by side and building the engine like that.