Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runner Threw a ROD! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some of these salvage yards are out of their minds! Check that Craigslist, I see 3.4's complete all day for way less than that.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Sorry about your loss. I'd be looking for a new engine though.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, found 2 more motors at a local yard...both out of a 2000:

122K miles - $975

118K miles - $1100

Both come w/ a 6mon warranty.

122K motor sounds doable.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Schaden freut, just kidding, oh the humanity.
So what is your plan, mmm i smell a rebuild.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Parting it out is no longer an option.

Sell it as is - Don't foresee us doing that.

Put another motor in it and drive it 'til the wheels fall off (or until another rod shoots out) - We've decided to go this route.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FogRunner

Looking at the rod bearing surface in that pic it looks like there is a good amount of scoring/polishing from the crank. You normally only see that as a result of very low or total loss of oil pressure.

That's one reason I hate the idiot light and put in a oil pressure gauge.
Yeah thats nasty looking. You have had some other issues going on. You said the oil looked good, thats why you cant just look at it and say its ok it has to be tested. That looks like its been run low or hard a bunch. do you warm it up any in the morning before tearing out?
You were going to change it , did it happen to be low also?
Driving habits?
Oil brand?
Have you looked at any other bearings yet?
Maybe find a wrecked one that is being parted out in good shape
Good luck
Old 06-27-2009, 05:23 AM

I agree that this didn't occur just out of the blue. If it would have "worn out", it would have knocked and been loud for ALONG time.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:06 AM

I don't agree with some of the posts here; high RPMs are not the only cause of rod failure. A loss of oil supply to the rod bearing will cause this kind of failure. The scoring of the bearing (in my opinion) is likely a result of this loss of oil supply, not necessarily something that took place over the course of months or years. The engine will continue to run (sometimes without much sign of a problem) for quite some time before something fails. I have seen this before (though not on a Toyota), and it was the result of a sudden loss of oil pressure and eventually the friction between the rod bearing and crankshaft bearing surface put enough stress on the rod that it failed.

My $0.02.

Dan
Old 06-27-2009, 06:09 AM

This has caused such a stir, that should illustrate just how almost "unheard of" this type of failure is.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dbcx
Yeah thats nasty looking. You have had some other issues going on. You said the oil looked good, thats why you cant just look at it and say its ok it has to be tested.
-Good idea. I might just get it tested.

That looks like its been run low or hard a bunch. do you warm it up any in the morning before tearing out?
-It's my wife's 4Runner. No, she doesn't warm it up in the mornings, but neither do I with my own. And no, she's not hard on it at all. She drives more like an old lady!

You were going to change it , did it happen to be low also?
-No ,not at all. Still looked clean too. Just thought about changing it this weekend b/c it had been 5k miles since the last change.

Driving habits?
-Again, picture an old lady driving a buick and that's my wife behind a 4Runner.

Oil brand?
-Don't remember the brand, but it was not the most expensive oil, but it wasn't the cheap stuff either.

Have you looked at any other bearings yet?
-Not yet.

Maybe find a wrecked one that is being parted out in good shape
Good luck

See comments above

Originally Posted by danimal92sport
I don't agree with some of the posts here; high RPMs are not the only cause of rod failure. A loss of oil supply to the rod bearing will cause this kind of failure. The scoring of the bearing (in my opinion) is likely a result of this loss of oil supply, not necessarily something that took place over the course of months or years. The engine will continue to run (sometimes without much sign of a problem) for quite some time before something fails. I have seen this before (though not on a Toyota), and it was the result of a sudden loss of oil pressure and eventually the friction between the rod bearing and crankshaft bearing surface put enough stress on the rod that it failed.

My $0.02.

Dan
Dan, that does seem feasible. Like I said, the 4Runner had been driving great, until the very moment the problem happened.

Originally Posted by Hawkflyer
This has caused such a stir, that should illustrate just how almost "unheard of" this type of failure is.
I agree! Sucks I had to be the victim of such an occurance.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 06-27-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Wow that sucks Rock Slide. I think if I were you, I would 1) Call the insurance company, just in case that's covered; 2) Get a good junkyard engine if you can find one; or 3) If all else fails, get a rebuilt motor.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM

How many miles between typical oil changes?

Sucks
Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by roger
Wow that sucks Rock Slide. I think if I were you, I would 1) Call the insurance company, just in case that's covered; 2) Get a good junkyard engine if you can find one; or 3) If all else fails, get a rebuilt motor.

Good luck
Thanks.

Called the Ins Co just to check, but they don't cover repairs of this nature. A few friends of mine said I ought to check out Mogi Ins b/c they cover stuff like this. However, it might be too late for that...

BTW, still searching for j.y. engines. Probably the route I'm going to go.

Originally Posted by raydouble
How many miles between typical oil changes?

Sucks
Oil has been changed every 3K-5K miles. Never gone longer than 5K w/o changing it.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Should of used synthetic oil, haha. I had a buddy who bought a used Mazda 3. One day the engine blew...caused by oil pressure loss. The shop tore down the engine and found sludge on the oil pick up screen. My buddy claims that running GTX cleaned up the sludge and caused the screen to get backed up.

Its possible that your 3.4L was the same way.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
See comments above

Dan, that does seem feasible. Like I said, the 4Runner had been driving great, until the very moment the problem happened.

I agree! Sucks I had to be the victim of such an occurance.
You dont need to send it off now and test it it is to late. i you test it on a regular basis say once a year,it would of picked up a trend and you would of been getting readings letting you know something was going on. It didnt happen overnight it was an issue that was going on that you were unaware of. Thats why I push oil test and their importance it will let you know whats going on inside there. Running a 0w oil or a 5w oil can help on cold startups it is thinner at startup so it gets to where it needs to be quiker than a 10w oil hope you get it worked out soon

Last edited by dbcx; 06-27-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Smile

man I feel your pain!! I threw a rod in my 93' Cherokee a few years back. Mine was due to wheeling and attempting to go through about 4 ft of water. Water and oil don't mix to well....

Comments about the insurance taking care of it are pretty funny!! I love it when people suggest insurance fraud. I personally love catching people doing it .
Old 06-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Wow that is the first time I have ever seen that on the 3.4 especially with such low miles. sorry to hear that
Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by hurricanes99
man I feel your pain!! I threw a rod in my 93' Cherokee a few years back. Mine was due to wheeling and attempting to go through about 4 ft of water. Water and oil don't mix to well....

Comments about the insurance taking care of it are pretty funny!! I love it when people suggest insurance fraud. I personally love catching people doing it .
BOO!........... way to ruin our fun!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think someone missed too many old changes... you gotta change oil regularly. was you wife having it done on her own.... not to be mean or ofensive but i know women they will not do things they are supose to sometimes. i think she skipped oils changes and told you she was doing it...unless your at fault and did not do it.....she hit a huge puddle or something a suck water....unless its 1 out of 1,000,000,000,000 chance you got a defective motor i think its little care to truck from owner.... 5VZ's don't throw rods on purpose EVER! HOWS THE WARRANTY!!!! Call Toyota and see what they think.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 06-27-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
i think someone missed too many old changes... you gotta change oil regularly. was you wife having it done on her own.... not to be mean or ofensive but i know women they will not do things they are supose to sometimes. i think she skipped oils changes and told you she was doing it...unless your at fault and did not do it.....she hit a huge puddle or something a suck water....unless its 1 out of 1,000,000,000,000 chance you got a defective motor i think its little care to truck from owner.... 5VZ's don't throw rods on purpose EVER! HOWS THE WARRANTY!!!! Call Toyota and see what they think.
lol, she never missed an oil change as I changed her oil every 3K-5K miles.

And no, she didn't hit any water...it's been dry here for a week. Only water around here is the water in the lakes.

No waranty either. I called Toyota...they said they've seen this happen once or twice before.

Quick Reply: My 4Runner Threw a ROD! *pics*