Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runner is almost finished...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well hey man, it looks like you've put some serious loot into that truck to make it offroad worthy. I wheel as much as I can, but I have no $$$ to fix stuff right now. I wish there were a way for me to do crazy stuff with my cars, but I can't. Yeah, we discuss a lot of stuff here, and maybe there's not a TON of wheeling, but I for one feel that the pursuit of knowledge is worthy in and of itself. Anyway, that's a sweet rig, good to see it being used how it should!!! I dunno about 200 hp out of the 3.slow, though. I thought it took serious modifying to get 200....anyway, more power to you if it is!!! I wish I were going wheeling....I have school though. I want to try and do as much wheeling as possible with 2wd, just to see if it can be done. I know I will be vindicated when I rescue my first Jeep .....you will all be made to see! muahahha
Old 04-22-2003, 09:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: more pics....

Originally posted by 4 the Hard Way
44Runner: I wasn't looking for a dedicated wheeling board, just asking the question. I do go to 4x4Wire and Pirate...and some others, and yes I get ribbing from the Pirate guys, so what, they are on the West Coast and are "into" body damage. As far as painting the truck one color and the axles black....let's just say I want people to know that it is the same truck that was featured in OffRoad, Tough Trucks & Fourwheeler magazine. Axles black...what difference does that make? And your "street queen" statement is way off base. Okay, I didn't wheel the truck really on 44's, but it's been wheeled before that and is and was certainly never a trailer queen. I'm not even sure why I am explaining myself here? I look forward to seeing you at EC4RJ'03, it should be fun...in fact, that is WHY I "re-posted" to my thread, to see WHO was going, not to get into yet another pissing match as to why my truck is a show truck and am I going to scratch it. It will be interesting to see how an EXshow truck does offroad with a 117:1 crawl ratio. I hope you do take some pics...you will only never see it happen again if you are not at an event that I am at. Sorry if I am coming across with an attitude...it's my nature to be defensive, can you blame me. Sorry. Friends?

Greg
My GAY poser flex pics.....why even look here?
Friends? Sure why not. I didn't mean you wouldn't take the thing offroad again, I just mean that I might never see a truck like yours off road again. Trust me, lots of pictures will be taken of everything. I just wish I could snap as many shots of my truck as I do everyone else's...
Old 04-23-2003, 05:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more pics....

Originally posted by 44Runner
Friends? Sure why not. I didn't mean you wouldn't take the thing offroad again, I just mean that I might never see a truck like yours off road again. Trust me, lots of pictures will be taken of everything. I just wish I could snap as many shots of my truck as I do everyone else's...
44Runner: Like I said, I get very defensive when people seem like my truck is just some show truck. I apologize for being like that, but not having a Chevy, Ford or Dodge when going to truck shows, you hear a lot of ignorant comments. I hope we are cool. I saw your truck and it takes some balls to cut up a newer 4Runner...more power to ya! I tried looking at some of your pics, but they don't load properly for me? Anyway, hope to see you at EC4RJ'03.

Los Gatos?: I hear ya, education and knowledge is key in this sport. I try and give advice wherever I can...I think I have aquired some over the 10+ years of building and changing my trucks. Anyway, the hp really is around 200. With the cams, t-body and especially the port & polished heads. Combine that with losing the belt drive fan with the electric fan and headers and exhaust...I think the number is accurate. Check out DOA Racing's website and see their numbers. They actually get over 200 hp out of the 3.slow.

Cebby: See you there!!!!!!!

Also, on a side note....ANYONE WHO NEEDS A PLACE TO STAY FOR EC4RJ'03 (AND THE TTORA TAKEOVER IN MAY 24th & 25th) LET ME KNOW. I OWN A HOUSE IN MT. POCONO WHICH IS ABOUT 20 MIN. FROM PARAGON. I WILL BE STAYING THERE WITH A FEW FRIENDS AND ANYBODY IS WELCOME THAT IS GOING TO THE EVENT. JUST E-MAIL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED: Greg's e-mail FREE PLACE TO STAY...WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT?

Greg

Last edited by 4 the Hard Way; 04-23-2003 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more pics....

44Runner FREE PLACE TO STAY...WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT?

Greg [/B]

Free beer, and lots of HOT naked chicks!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:52 AM

more pics....

Originally posted by ejlarson
Free beer, and lots of HOT naked chicks!
I'll go ahead and second that one!

I appreciate the offer man, but free beer and naked chicks would be the only thing that could rip me away from the camp site. I love BSing around a camp fire almost as much as I love wheelin'. There are a lot of people here that can attest to that...

We are most definately cool bro. I may not like the way the truck looks, but that is just my opinion. There is no denying that it will be a beast off road. I look forward to meeting you and seeing that thing perform in person.

EDIT: I just looked over this thread and I didn't see any specs for the rig other than you are running one hopped up 3.slow. I am hungry for specs! Give me the low down on the axles (gears, lockers, shafts?). Rest of the drivetrain? Wheels? Who's locks are those? Lift? Blah blah blah.... Give it all to us, it will round out this thread quite nicely....

Last edited by 44Runner; 04-23-2003 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: more pics....

Hello????? Does anyone on this board actually wheel?
Greg
Dude, those are pretty harsh words. I wheel all the time. I know you didn't mean to be offensive, but you were... There are plenty of people on this board that wheel. Even some of the people who are concerned about their Maglites wheel... Sheesh... There is no need to get offensive just because no one jumped in on your thread...

I get very defensive when people seem like my truck is just some show truck.
So how do you think you make the people here who wheel feel when you make a comment like the one above? Hmmm?
Old 04-23-2003, 07:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: more pics....

Originally posted by Gene
Dude, those are pretty harsh words. I wheel all the time. I know you didn't mean to be offensive, but you were... There are plenty of people on this board that wheel. Even some of the people who are concerned about their Maglites wheel... Sheesh... There is no need to get offensive just because no one jumped in on your thread...

So how do you think you make the people here who wheel feel when you make a comment like the one above? Hmmm?
While I feel like you are right, he definately went about that in the wrong way, don't get your panties in too tight a wad. It ain't a big deal bro. If you wheel, great. If you don't, good for you. You know which group you belong to. Either one is fine. Don't take offense to people calling you out over the net, life's too short.

Last edited by 44Runner; 04-23-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:59 AM

Re: more pics....

EDIT: I just looked over this thread and I didn't see any specs for the rig other than you are running one hopped up 3.slow. I am hungry for specs! Give me the low down on the axles (gears, lockers, shafts?). Rest of the drivetrain? Wheels? Who's locks are those? Lift? Blah blah blah.... Give it all to us, it will round out this thread quite nicely....
44Runner:Well, since you asked....here is the breakdown:

Front axle: Narrowed Dana 44 built by Dynatrac running 5.89 gears and a Detroit locker.

Rear axle: Narrowed Dana 60 with disc brakes and 35 spline 1-1/2" dia. axle shafts built by Dynatrac running 5.86 gears and a Detroit locker.

Steering: Parts Mike high steer cast knuckles with Parts Mike billet steering arms. 1-1/2" dia. steering rod & tie rod with 1 ton GM tie rod ends. Drilled and tapered IFS pitman arm.

Motor: 3.0 V6 with DOA Racing Engines turn-key port & polished heads with oversized intake/exhaust valves. DOA cams and 3mm oversized t-body. Flex-A-Lite electric fan. Downey headers and open air cleaner assembly. Magnaflow cat. and muffler.

Trans/t-case: Stock Toyota 5 speed with a Dual Friction Centerforce clutch. Dual Marlin crawler t-case with 2.28 gears in both cases (for now). BudBuilt low profile dual case x-member. High Angle Driveline long spline front cv driveshaft and cv rear driveshaft with 1350 u-joints.

Suspension: AOR 5" front Orbit-Eye springs with orbits in the fixed end and poly bushings in shackle end. AOR 5" rear Orbit-Eye springs with orbits in both ends of the springs. AOR shackles front & rear. 12" travel 7100 series Billstein shocks with remote res. (short body rear, std body front) on custom mounts.

Rims & tires: Allied Rock-A-Thon 32 bolt steel 15" x 10" 6 lug 3-5/8" backspacing beadlocks. 38" x 12.50" x 15" Swamper TSL SX tires.

Misc.: Landcruiser master cylinder. Spray-on-bedlinered lower quarters, fender flares, and now...hood, roof and cap. Smittybuilt rollcage. Custom built sliders, front bumper, rear bumper and 2" receiver mount in front x-member all built by4x4CustomAdventure.com. Recaro seats. And lastly...my hideous paint job!! Well, I don't think it's hideous, but it's my truck...so...

Gene:To quote 44Runner "It ain't a big deal bro." It's all good...can't we all just get along? Where's the love? Seriously, I mean nothing by the comment. I think we are all over it by now? Let's move on....

Greg
MY WEBSITE

Last edited by 4 the Hard Way; 04-23-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:19 AM

[B]44Runner:Well, since you asked....here is the breakdown:

blah blah blah...
So in short, I won't be following you!

That is one hell of a sweet parts list, that thing should rip up the trails. Can't wait to see it in action. Definately go to that TTORA run so you can get those springs nice and broken in when we see it at the EC4RJ

Last edited by 44Runner; 04-23-2003 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Hello????? Does anyone on this board actually wheel? Seems you are more concerned about how many batteries to put in your Maglite...or what percent window tint to do...I'm not knocking that, just wondering.

Whatever.

Greg
I DO. it's actually a little TOO FAR for me to drive to it from Houston. Plus the gas it would cost to trek up there and back. I will stick to my hometown wheeling until an event moves closer. Also, there aren't many people on this forum that have taken rebuilding and modding to the level you have. But from discussions around the beginning of the year, you should see a good bunch of people from here at the event.

Last edited by keisur; 04-23-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: more pics....FLEX PICS THIS TIME!!

So in short, I won't be following you!

That is one hell of a sweet parts list, that thing should rip up the trails. Can't wait to see it in action. Definately go to that TTORA run so you can get those springs nice and broken in when we see it at the EC4RJ
44Runner: You can follow me...I'll just tie a strap around your bumper and drag you!!! Ha-ha, just kidding. Your rig is more than capable. Seriously though, I look forward to meeting you at the EC4RJ...it's gonna be cool. I still haven't decided what trails to run. I guess I will have a better idea after we get back from Paragon tomorrow!!! Then you can see some action pics instead of these lame lift pics.

And now...for the newest flex pics...testing the rear...never lifted the rear tire, but maxed the front to the bump stops...and if you notice, the spray-on-bedliner is now on the hood, window pillars and cap...I think it looks good.

And anyone who says AOR's Orbit-Eye springs are just a gimmick, take a look at this pic and tell me if a spring with a regular bushing could hold up to that angle. Notice the springs are still in line with the axle...no spring "twist".

Last one until the real deal action pics....

Later.

Greg

MY WEBSITE

The shop: 4x4 Custom Adventure in Ledgewood, NJ

Last edited by 4 the Hard Way; 04-23-2003 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:32 PM

Just a thought

Do you think that maybe sitting that high you shouldve gone full width 60s? Nice parts list! I wouldve probably gone with the Shakerbuilt crossover though. See ya at EC4RJ
Old 04-24-2003, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: more pics....FLEX PICS THIS TIME!!

44Runner: You can follow me...I'll just tie a strap around your bumper and drag you!!! Ha-ha, just kidding. Your rig is more than capable. Seriously though, I look forward to meeting you at the EC4RJ...it's gonna be cool. I still haven't decided what trails to run. I guess I will have a better idea after we get back from Paragon tomorrow!!! Then you can see some action pics instead of these lame lift pics.

And now...for the newest flex pics...testing the rear...never lifted the rear tire, but maxed the front to the bump stops...and if you notice, the spray-on-bedliner is now on the hood, window pillars and cap...I think it looks good.

You sure don't have much flex in that "HEAP!" Just kidding. Man, I'd love to have a solid axle in mine up front. Maybe one day though, take lots of pics to share at paragon.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Wow Greg, I wish I could make it to EC4RJ to see your rig in person.

Do you still go to the Bloomsburg jambo? I went to a few of those years ago when I still lived back that way.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:12 AM

4 The hard way

well dude...I wheel all the time up here in Maine and I plan on making the trip down to PA this june for my first major jamboree....Hope to see alot of people from the forum there....Although my trucks not going anywhere right now...It's sitting in my garage with a blown head gasket and a bad water pump....Beautiful truck though I have to say....I thought mine sat high....lol....I wish I could but I can't go any higher then what I'm at now because of the bs Maine laws...But anyway...I hope to have some more mods done before Paragon and hope to see ya there....Rock on and Roll over!!!! (obstacles of course, not your truck lol)
Old 04-24-2003, 08:59 PM

BACK FROM PARAGON!!!!!

Well, the 4Runner did Paragon today (Thursday). I am getting the pics off my camera now, so here's a "fuzzy" teaser pic for ya. I hope to have them all on one page on my site very soon.

Greg

MY WEBSITE

Last edited by 4 the Hard Way; 04-24-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:09 PM

Re: BACK FROM PARAGON!!!!!

...another "fuzzy" teaser pic...I figured I'd put the crappy ones on first just so you have some idea of how the day went....now I am going to bed, I'm tired.

Greg

MY WEBSITE

Last edited by 4 the Hard Way; 04-24-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:37 PM

I'll be there at Paragon for EC4RJ. Just need to get my welding done by then and hopefully have the welds cooled off by the time I roll in with my SAS'ed 88 4Runner. Looking forward to seeing that truck in person. I remember browsing a couple years ago and seeing the pic of it flying through the mud.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:20 PM

Link to the pics from Paragon...

Well, here is the page I quickly put together from my trip to Paragon on 4/24/03.

PICS FROM PARAGON....

I have over 30 pics of me, and at least that many of Andrew's "JeepJeep" (it's called that because of it's width) that he was testing for competing at the NEUROC events at Paragon this year.

Let me know what you think of the pics.....

Later.

Greg

MY WEBSITE
Old 04-26-2003, 05:00 PM

Link to pics thread...

Paragon pics thread

I figured I'd post them there...for some reason the page I made on my site only shows the red x's....

Hope you guys like them.

Greg

Quick Reply: My 4Runner is almost finished...