Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is it me, or is the A/C in the 3rd Gen not so strong??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,
I've had my 96 LTD for 10 years out here in Phoenix. I probably use the A/C 5-6 months of the year and it still blows cold. 113 Yesterday. Leave your recirculating slide halfway between recirculate and outside air.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Logisticus
Hey guys,
I've had my 96 LTD for 10 years out here in Phoenix. I probably use the A/C 5-6 months of the year and it still blows cold. 113 Yesterday. Leave your recirculating slide halfway between recirculate and outside air.
Hmmm....What does leaving it halfway do?

On a side note, I took a road trip in my buddy's 02' last weekend. It blew at least 2X as cold as mine, and there were 4 people in the 4runner on a 5 hour trip up to Maine. I would hate to pay for a recharge if it didn't help.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
lee
Contributing Member

to make my AC cold, i let it get its coldest on regular, then i turn recirc on which makes it a LOT colder
Old 07-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

Its been so effing hot here In SC, I was waiting to get some food from fazolis with AC full blast and it wasnt doin much for me but blowin air. My moms lexus rx300 makes me feel like im on a decent on a mt snowboarding.

Maybe it was just the heat issue.

but I feel like its not as cold like you say. Could be I need to do some adjusting
Old 07-19-2006, 08:09 PM

Anyone here with a 3rd gen pay for a charge and have it make a significant difference?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by third4runner
Anyway, the musty a/c smell mentioned above is often caused by mould in the evaporator. If you start the vehicle, and put the a/c on fresh air intake(not recirc), fan on high, windows down, and spray Lysol aerosol spray into the fresh air intake at the base of the windshield, it will usually kill the smell causing mould until the it develops again down the road.
Told you guys.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by third4runner
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum as a poster, but a lurker for a few years. I worked in a Toyota dealer here in western Canada as a Service Advisor for 11 years and am now at another import dealer as a Service Manager for the past 5 years. I am a huge 4runner fan, having previously owned a gen 1, gen2, and now a 2000 3.4 5spd. Anyway, the musty a/c smell mentioned above is often caused by mould in the evaporator. If you start the vehicle, and put the a/c on fresh air intake(not recirc), fan on high, windows down, and spray Lysol aerosol spray into the fresh air intake at the base of the windshield, it will usually kill the smell causing mould until the it develops again down the road. There are many a/c cleaning kits that are a lot more expensive of a fix, but this, I have found, is effective. Just roll the windows down while you're doing this to let the Lysol smell out. One can would do a couple of dozen vehicles. Hope this helps someone!
Great tip.....that would make sense since Lysol kills mold, bacteria and fungi.

Little technical info.....
The active ingredient in Lysol is ortho-phenylphenol it is derived from natural plant materials or coal tar and have some resemblance to the compound phenol. Lysol is also 79% alcohol, enhancing the effectiveness of the phenylphenol. The phenolics act by disrupting cell membranes, inactivating enzymes, and denaturing proteins. The alcohols can kill bacteria and fungi, but are not effective against endospores or nonenveloped viruses. Alcohols act by denaturing (unfolding) proteins and disrupting cell membranes by solubilizing fats some water is needed for protein denaturation and usually 70% alcohol with water is used. Lysol II is a different product which uses QUATS (quaternary ammonium salts) and also contains 79% alcohol (ethanol).

Makes me wonder how far just straight isopropyl alcohol would take you in removing the smell?
.....since most rubbing alcohol is usually mixed 70/30 with water and is a great disinfectant.

Parents with kids....(can also be useful for frat and sorority members )
On a side note for parents with young kids, (I know it's gross!) that have them throw up on a carpet or hard to clean surface.....just dump isopropyl alcohol on the area, rub it in by hand until wet and the stench will be gone by the next day. You parents know what a PITA it is to clean up a mess like that. Believe me, it works great!!!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-20-2006 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:42 AM

Yeah, my AC seems weak too. The AC in my 250 is soooo strong, on high, it blows the vents closed, and it is as cold as can be(works good when chicks have on tight shirts). The temp must hit 40 or so without exaggeration. The 4runner on the other hand hits maybe 55 or so, and the air doesnt come out strong, even on high, I was going to pay for the recharge, but I always leave my windows down anyway, so I gues it really doesnt matter.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Parents with kids....(can also be useful for frat and sorority members )
On a side note for parents with young kids, (I know it's gross!) that have them throw up on a carpet or hard to clean surface.....just dump isopropyl alcohol on the area, rub it in by hand until wet and the stench will be gone by the next day. You parents know what a PITA it is to clean up a mess like that. Believe me, it works great!!!

Awesome tip... I never expected to learn how to clean the puke smell off of things from a 4runner message board. (BTW the couches at my frat house need a mad treatment of isopropyl alcohol... but the ENTIRE rest of the house is hardwood/drywall, yes we were thinking ahead)

Last edited by ilikesoup; 07-20-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_M
Anyone here with a 3rd gen pay for a charge and have it make a significant difference?
I would love to know this!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:21 AM

you guys might be right that it is actually colder. In 99 i think they started using a differnt gas for ac, due to enviromental hazards from frion. The new gas is less efficient, thus feeling not as cold.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i crank it it untill its cool inside (5-10 minutes when >100F) and can keep it on low and it stays
Old 07-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tdubbs05
you guys might be right that it is actually colder. In 99 i think they started using a differnt gas for ac, due to enviromental hazards from frion. The new gas is less efficient, thus feeling not as cold.
What in the world are you talking about? Freon is the name for R-12 which DuPont (and I believe General Motors too) owns the rights to. Under section 609 the production of R-12 was phased out in 1995. Yes R-134 A is not as cool as R12 since the molecules are much smaller. There have been experienments with other types of refrigerant (that's the correct term for it) but I doubt Toyota has put new types of refrigerant in anything production-wise before 2005. I know for a fact GM was experimenting with CO2 as a refrigerant, but as far as I know have not yet put it into production vehicles yet. If you are going to make a comment at least make a correct one.

Here's a link for more info EPA.GOV

Last edited by Ironmike4x4; 07-20-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

I'd heard that the mildewy and uriney smell (when it rains) from the A/C came around because people shut down their A/C when they leave the car which allows the moisture built up to let things grow. The way to solve this is to turn off the A/C and let the air blow full-blast just a little bit before you get to your final destination.

That's what I'd heard anyway.

I tried this trick on my Tacoma and I have never noticed a smell from the A/C until this summer and I have been kind of bad about shutting off in advance and blowing air. I've since picked up doing that again and the musty smell is going away.

Just my personal experience. I have no science to back it up so just take it as it is.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, it takes a while for my A/C to get cold too. Once I'm on the freeway and driving it kicks in. Local stop and go takes a while longer.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tdubbs05
Ummmm....nope. All 3rd gen 4runners (and Tacos of the same year) are running R134a not R12 (freon).
R12 is slightly more efficient as a refrigerant, but only just slightly.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I'd heard that the mildewy and uriney smell (when it rains) from the A/C came around because people shut down their A/C when they leave the car which allows the moisture built up to let things grow. The way to solve this is to turn off the A/C and let the air blow full-blast just a little bit before you get to your final destination.

I tried this trick on my Tacoma and I have never noticed a smell from the A/C until this summer and I have been kind of bad about shutting off in advance and blowing air. I've since picked up doing that again and the musty smell is going away.

Just my personal experience. I have no science to back it up so just take it as it is.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, it takes a while for my A/C to get cold too. Once I'm on the freeway and driving it kicks in. Local stop and go takes a while longer.
This is exactly what was explained last year when this type of thread came up. I also do the same thing and it was fine for awhile but just recently, the smell came back. I'm going to try the Lysol thing.

I do know that if it smells and I blast it for a few minutes, it goes away.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude

I tried this trick.
i do this because i hate the smell that comes in as you turn the key to start the engine, and left the a/c on.
i say it works
Old 07-20-2006, 04:00 PM

My 1999 4 runner AC works great... cold cold cold. No probem-O.

Knock on wood!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

New Engine

My a/c used to make my wife smuggle raisins, but I blew that engine and put in a jasper engine. Ever since I did that my a/c has been acting funny. It is quite irregular...really cool sometimes, blowing hot air other times. Has anyone had this happen.

Last edited by Troy'sToy; 07-26-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Been out here in Fresno the past few days. Its been 110-115!!! My AC is awesome!

Quick Reply: Is it me, or is the A/C in the 3rd Gen not so strong??