Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Marvels Mystery oil and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used MMO before. Learned it from my Dad. He used it to burn the carbon out...although I have a pretty good idea that the majority of the smoke that he thought was carbon burning off is just the MMO burning without enough oxygen. And I believe the Seafoam treatment I did a couple of weeks is probably the same. Did the engine run better afterwards? It was running pretty good to begin with, so it's hard to tell. But like most of you guys, I cautiously use these until I have better information.

Here's a GREAT site that is quite a bit more scientific than the unsubstantiated babblings of the sites Radrex is linking to. Oil, additives, filters and some great mpgs on additives effects in gear boxes. Check it out and the forums.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 07-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 98 Joes
Wow. I never thought that it would get such a reaction. I'm really sorry I brought it up.
How dare you offer up your opinion on this board. Oh yeah and your truck sucks too. jk
Maybe if your post count was a little higher you'd be more believable.

Mark,
great job of reading the fine print as always. I'm always impressed at what you dig up when people post random websites to prove a point.

On a side note I've used MMO before and was pleased with the results.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:48 PM

Mpg is a better indicator than just "miles per tank".
Old 07-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned

sounds like radrex is an engineer who is a genius and is far superior to all of us... great, jsut what the yotaboard needed...
Old 07-26-2004, 11:31 PM

I have just starting using a similar product called Moreys.they do a range of additives & treatments for cars etc.i doubt you can get it in USA.
im using a Upper cylinder lube treatment.I also used it the same way as many on here have used Seafoam.I noticed that it reduced engine noise nicely,but have yet to see any other improvements,but ive been quite hard on the pedel this week as i getting sick of driving like a nanna for the sake of 10 miles extra a tank.Im thinking bugger it, if im gonna get crap MPG i might as well enjoy it...
Old 07-28-2004, 04:28 AM

I got a 1966 ford mustang that I put 25,000 miles on it. I used slick 50 2 times on it, mmo in the oil, flush the motor out about 4 times. I had to pull the heads off and I could still the bore marks from the rebuild job. Something work. The heads had a crack in them. Every thing was still good in them. The guy that did the head work the 1st time messed it up and I can't find him.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

I've been more than satisfied with the results of using MMO. I only put it the fuel about every 3rd tankful. Someplace I read it wasn't advisable to use it all the time. I also put it in the oil this time. It appears to work like SeaFoam in dissolving deposits inside the engine. It seems to run a little quieter, but that's hard to say. One benefit seems to be that my rear main seal as quit leaking. Probably from the petroleum distillates swelling the seal slightly, but no leak makes me happy.

I'm going to open up the filter at change to see how much carbon and/or other crud is in it. After that I'll put only oil in, run it and then get another oil analysis done to compare contents. The last one showed no high or moderate levels of any contaminates. My thought is this. If the next one comes back the same or better (lower parts per million) of contaminates and no abnormal bearing wear. It should be OK.

Just as a side note, I did learn a valuable lesson when I was younger about motor flushing older engines. I had '71 Firebird Formula 400. About 150K on the odometer. A buddy suggested getting some motor flush and running it through. I did. Man did that stuff work great. All the crud fell off inside the engine, clogged the oil pump pickup screen and I had virtually no oil pressure. But the engine was clean inside when I tore it down. I, of course, used it as an excuse to build up a much more powerful engine. Hey, any excuse to buy Hi-Po parts. So now I'm very cautious of these types of products. The internet has made it much easier to research stuff before using it.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:41 AM

I did that once. Don't flush a really dirty motor!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:42 PM

I'll dig up this thread and add a comment...
My dad used MMO on everything, If it was edible he would have dipped his toast in it.

Ive found on an old car, if you run a few tanks of gas with MMO in it, you do get a boost of MPGs and a little improvement in the engines running, BUT, after that if you stop using it, the MPGs remain, as does the benefits.
I am under the opinion having used it too, once the light burnable oil has stripped the crud off your valves and plugs, you get the same effect you would if you used any type of fuel additive made to clean out carbon.
I run a dose of Lucas injector cleaner/gas additive every now and then and that I have found will boost your MPGS by 2 to 4 mpg, but I imagine its just like MMO... it just keeps the injectors and valves clean. I like Lucas because it has no odor, and it cleans off your hands easy.

as far as adding stuff you your oil to clean out the engine that way, lots of people swear by auto-rx and its long series of treatments to clean your engine... heres what I say about it...
switch to a full synthetic oil. change your oil filter every month till the oil seems to stay clean. In about 6 months you notice the filter is no longer full of black crud and your dipstick is still showing clean oil... thats all auto rx does, dissolved all the gunk in the engine and it ends up in the filter, because synthetic oil dissolves and cleans so well.
yes maybe you might spring a leak somewhere so what, fix it then right? I have switched all the cars Ive owned to full synthetic and no engine that wasn't leaking oil suddenly started leaking because of the synthetic oil. If it does develop a small seeping leak give it time and it will most likely stop on its own.

there is no magic to cleaning an engine inside and getting good MPGS. clean it inside and out and make sure all the control gizmo's on the engine are working right, don't use cheap plugs and wires, and use synthetic oil, unless it leaks like a stuck pig, because it will make a leak worse as it cleans out the crud. (if the engine isn't leaking or has tiny seeps, synthetic oil wont make it worse.)

you have a lot of variables when you start working on MPG... internal engine wear, quality of the parts you use, how you drive where you drive when you drive etc ect....

I don't think there is any "magic pixie dust" you can dump in your tank to get better MPGs... all they do is clean the crud and you see a little improvement, simply from it being clean inside.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:42 PM

I'm in the same boat as redrex: I just don't believe in additives unless I'm running a 2stroke race engine. That's just me though. To each their own. I'd just assume pull the head off my engine and scrape the carbon out of my cylinders one by one than run mmo or anything else claiming to "clean your engine of carbon". As a matter of fact I have taken my head and cleaned the cylinders and lifter gallery.....131,000 miles. Never ran a drop of any cleaner additive of any sort and had no hardly any buildup sluge at all. Castrol 10x30 every 3000 to 5000 miles w/ purolator filters.
Now I just recently helped rebuild a 97 f-150 w/ 60,000 miles. I pulled handfulls of carbonized oil/dirt out of the lifter galleries and scraped gobs of carbon from the cylinders.....this kind of engine probably could use some of that silly mmo....there is no way something could make that f150 worse.

I guess bottom line is:
If you've got a great running engine don't begin running additives especially in newer vehicles with lower mileage.
If you've got an older engine, lots of miles, etc etc running poorly: What have you got to lose? Try the stuff.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:45 AM

on my rx7 i use mmo 1 ounce to the gallon. lubericates the rotors and since the stuff was designed to burn doesnt gum up the engine with carbon. great stuff. never thought about putting it in the yota...?