Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lowering my truck...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the front tires dont fit under the fenders you can get 4x4 fenders for that year and stick them on and they are like 30 dollars each at least thats how much i paid for one you might be able to find it cheaper though
Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Banned

you cant tell from the side picture of my red truck above, but you should be fine... i never had any rub issues and my tires stuck out over an inch outside of the fenderwells
Old 10-20-2004, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slammdrider
if the front tires dont fit under the fenders you can get 4x4 fenders for that year and stick them on and they are like 30 dollars each at least thats how much i paid for one you might be able to find it cheaper though

where did u get those?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably lower the front 2" with a set of 2" Drop Spindles, and put 3" blocks in the rear. It seems right now that the rear is a little bit higher, so hopefully 2" in the front and 3" in the rear will level it out.

Thanks for the StreetBeatCustoms link Praufet, I'd really like to get those front and rear sway bars. Will the sway bars help with handling that much? I don't wana spend $300 on something that won't make a huge difference. I'm trying to get a really stiff suspension with little body roll. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:04 PM

Just thought of something. Could I buy 4 Hydraulic struts to replace my stock ones? It seems like it would be easy enough. Do they make hydraulic struts that can replace your stock ones? Could I control my ride height with these? Is this what hyraulic suspensions are on cars? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Banned

your car uses shocks... if you go to a hydraulic all up or down setup its going to ride like CRAP! bad idea..... also if you want tight, i would jsut crank down the tbars until you were close to teh bumpstops, then get a rear swaybar.... my truck was very tight when i got it..... its still very tight, but in a differnt way, as i dotn have any swaybars and i have cranked up tbars
Old 10-20-2004, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
your car uses shocks...
Oh, um, yeah, I knew that.

if you go to a hydraulic all up or down setup its going to ride like CRAP! bad idea..... also if you want tight, i would jsut crank down the tbars until you were close to teh bumpstops, then get a rear swaybar.... my truck was very tight when i got it..... its still very tight, but in a differnt way, as i dotn have any swaybars and i have cranked up tbars
So should I just crank the tbars until I'm right on the bumperstops, or just above them? Is it bad to be on them? Their just rubber stops right? If I were riding on the bumper stops, how much lower would the front be? Also, with the tbars loosened that much, will that lessen sway/body roll, or should I get the front sway bar as well? Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by YotaTruck1986; 10-20-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the main problem with being on the bumpstops is that you won't have much shock dampening
Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 PM

I have no problem with an uncomfortable ride, as long as it's tight. Would the suspension be tight if I were riding on the bumperstops? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Banned

yes it would be tight if on the bumpstops..... very tight... my truck was...... the mroe you can elimante things to give/roll/play then the thighter it will become
Old 10-20-2004, 06:21 PM

yes it would be tight if on the bumpstops..... very tight... my truck was...... the mroe you can elimante things to give/roll/play then the thighter it will become
So is it OK to ride on the bumberstops? Or should I go for just above them?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:02 AM

cacattack i bought the fenders at a place thats sells nothing but autobody parts and they are hella cheap so you should be able to find a place that will sell them. they bolt right up to a 2wd to if thats what you have. i have a 2wd 84 toyote pickup sr5 thats lowered with 4x4 fenders 4x4 front bumper 4x4 front valance and i think thats about it. the guy i bought the truck from must of been crazy.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:34 PM

So I can ride on the bumperstops? No Problems?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:02 PM

Will blocks stiffen the rear suspension?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:40 PM

Bump.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Banned

blocks wont stiffen the suspension lowered shocks, a swaybar and an add a leaf will, howeer, the add a leaf will make it stiffer, but it will also raise it a little bit, so not sure if you want the add a leaf as well, unless you are planning on a custom springpack for being lowered
Old 10-22-2004, 02:34 PM

Once loosening the tbars, I should get an alignment too, right?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by YotaTruck1986
So I can ride on the bumperstops? No Problems?
Bad idea, once you are on the bumpstops your suspension serves no purpose. The ride will be very uncomfortable as every bump will go straight to the cabin. Your handling will also suck as the suspension will not keep the tires planted on the road if the road is anything but glass smooth. Every irregulary on a turn you will loose traction on your tires. Normally when people lower their cars, they compensate for it in someway by making the springs stiffer as an example. BUt if you are in a turn and you hit the bumpstop it is game over for handling as the chasis will be completely unsetlled.

I used to race golfs many moons ago, and if you lower the suspension you always need to ensure you stil have adeqoute suspension travel when going through corners not to hit the bumpstops. You might want to shave a bit of the bumpstops to allow for more travel when lowering, but NEVER ride on them.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Bad idea, once you are on the bumpstops your suspension serves no purpose. The ride will be very uncomfortable as every bump will go straight to the cabin. Your handling will also suck as the suspension will not keep the tires planted on the road if the road is anything but glass smooth. Every irregulary on a turn you will loose traction on your tires. Normally when people lower their cars, they compensate for it in someway by making the springs stiffer as an example. BUt if you are in a turn and you hit the bumpstop it is game over for handling as the chasis will be completely unsetlled.

I used to race golfs many moons ago, and if you lower the suspension you always need to ensure you stil have adeqoute suspension travel when going through corners not to hit the bumpstops. You might want to shave a bit of the bumpstops to allow for more travel when lowering, but NEVER ride on them.
THANK YOU! That's what I've been looking for. OK, so riding on the bumpstops = bad handling. Thanks man, that helped a lot.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

You could always trim the bump stops to get a little more suspension travel after lowering it. I did this on the front of my IFS to get more travle. I would also sugest some stiffer gas charged shocks so it will require a larger than average bump to bottom out the suspension.

Quick Reply: Lowering my truck...?