Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lower Control Arm Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lower Control Arm Help!

For the past few months I've had an issue with my 4runner that I haven't been able to fiqure out. Whenever I brake my vehicle will pull to the left then jerk back to the right and will occasionally do this at low speeds as well. Secondly, whenever I make a hard right turn the right wheel will (it's only one wheel that does it, not sure which one)squeals. The steering wheel alignment is also off, cocked more towards the left, try to keep it straight at it starts varing right.

On top of that a few months back I got a weird vibration though the steering wheel/column will accelerating from a stop (has only happened once).

My intial thought was that the brake pads were worn and that the rotors were warpped. Well, I changed the pads which didn't show any signs of abnormal wear and rotors showed no signs of warppage. At the same time I did the wheel bearing check while it was jacked up and didn't notice anything our of the ordinary.

Still no luck. I've replaced the front sway bar bushings thinking that was part of the problem and still nothing. CV's, ball joints and tie rod ends so no sign of leakage or excessive wear. The steering rack was replaced earlier in the year.

I was oringially thinking of just driving it till it breaks but with the weather starting to turn crappie I decided that it may not be the best idea. Wasn't the best idea to begin with I know.

So I take it in to the dealership (one of the more trusted ones in the area) since Big-O and another repair shop in the area suck!

So they have it all morning and part of the afternoon trying to fiqure out what it is. I get a call about 3pm with the service guy telling me that its the lower control arms are bad and that it needs a T-angle alignment.

So my questions are thus

1. How in the world do contorl arms go bad (lower in the case)? Isn't it the bushings that go bad?
2. How would the control arms going bad cause the above problems? Neither myself nor my brother can fiqure this one out.
3. Would the above problem be more of a wheel bearing problem? This is what we are kind of quess. Though I don't have any weird noises that would indicate this or notice any problems when I did the quick test (mentioned above).
4. If it is the control arm bushings would it be just easier to replace the whole control instead of dealing with trying to press new bushings in.
5. The dealer also mentioned that I need a T-bar alignment.
6. Any other ideas.
7. Estimated cost of repairs they guy gave me was $831 :bash:taking into account a 10% discount.

I've done some reading on the internet on control arm bushings and wheel bearings for possible issues and it seems like there are mixed review and unanswered questions on it.

So do you all have suggestions and does the above comments make sense.

This sucks cause it's my only vehicle.

I'm giving the dealer a call back tomorrow to complain a bit (I normally don't do this) because my 4runner drives even crappier now after they looked at it. The steering wheel is now cocked to the right and it makes a squealing type sound now when turning (left or right) or when going over bumps. Steering is still crappie though it doesn't pull when braking.

Last edited by wormhole; 10-26-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did some more reading and I'm assuming that the T-angle alignment that was mentioned is a thrust angle alignment

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

When I talk to them tomorrow I'm going to just see about replacing the bushings.

Fixed comment #5, just misread the dealers comments.