Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lifted, refinished LC wheels, REVOS - big pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifted, refinished LC wheels, REVOS - big pics

Had a fun and busy Friday afternoon.

Picked up the 16 x 8 Land Cruiser wheels from the powdercoater. I put in about 8- 10 hrs PER RIM refinishing them and you can see how I did that in a this separate thread. I then had some brand new 265/75/16 REVOS mounted that I picked up on a buy 3, get one free deal a few months back. I think they came out pretty good. I got the new centre caps from a very shady dude in Singapore but they were cheap.

I then put on my Tacoma TRD Tokico shock/Tundra spring front lift and OME 890/OME 98c rear lift and then installed a Sonoran diff drop.

Took about 4and 1/2 hrs wrenching.

It looks a little nose low right now so I will drive it for a while to see if I like the "aussie look". If not I have some HDPE spacers and I already installed the longer studs to save time later.

Finally, a nice view showing how nicely the LC wheels slight increase in width and offset fill the fenders nicely. The front flaps are from a Toyota truck and fitted OK with a little modification

Next pics after my bumper gets mounted.

David

I then

Last edited by nrgetic99; 07-24-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wow that is one sweet 4runner really like the 2-tone
Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 PM

David - can I ask you to post up the hieght to the nderside of the flare? I did the OME with 880/906s --- of course the tundra front end took hlod right after I did it, and I've had thoughts of possibly redoing the front.

Just for reference, my measurements with 880/906s and 265/75 Revos are:
Front - 35.5"
Rear - 37"

There is ~ 1/4" difference from side to side - pretty minor.

Others will probably be interested too.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

woow,thats one sexy 4runner, great job
Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
david it's good to see you're BACK IN BUSINESS

great job
bob
Old 07-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Great job on the refinishing; they look like they're new.

A little rake looks good IMHO and you've done an awesome job on the truck that you've only had a short time.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:01 PM

do you see a need for the panhard drop? looks great. i'm thinking about the same setup.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

how is the ride? I want to know all the details, I'm currently looking for a more streetable lift than my SAW's. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, those rims look great on the truck after you refinished them!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:58 AM

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I have only driven about 50 miles so my impressions are initial.

Looks like I got around 1 and 3/4" in front and a solid 2" in the back plus 1/2" from the increase in tire height. As I am just using 890's which will sag a little with time, I am NOT planning a panhard drop just yet. I am planning some longer front links for my ADDCO front SWAY bar.

Ride is very acceptable.

On highway is firm but very comfortable and the GF commented how much more planted it feels. I still have an allignment to do so the steering is a little light right now.

I have an Audi S4 and the ride on that is sublime...very firm but very comfortable. I grew up in the UK so I like a firmer ride...the stock 98 and its tired suspension felt like a freakin Continental..wallowing and shimmying all down the road... of course, my 99 4R Highlander had a nice stock set up so I was spoiled

On slower roads with rougher surfaces, I REALLY like the rear OME set up. Going with OME 890s and Comfort shocks, It rides very nicely. Much less crash and bang than stock. The front set up is much firmer than stock and it tends to crash on small or deep bumps but recovers very quickly.

The stocks set up was very, very wishy washy and inspired zero confidence.

Overall, a much more controlled and firm ride that I like. I could tolerate slightly softer in front but I am sure once the allignment is done, it will feel a little better. For reference, I had Corned spacers with Bilsteins on the 99 and that was very, very harsh...this is soo much nicer than that.

I am still having some slight issues with my stock skid plate as discussed in another thread. I cut the piece out Steve indicated and pounded the ridge flat but the bolts that join the front and rear sections of the skid touch the diff carrier and I can feel the vibration on occasion through the pedals. Tonight I will trim those bolts and see if I can get some bolts in the front holes which I cannot do right now.

Hopefully, my bumper should be here by the weekend so I may wait on that before I have an allignment as I will probably use the 3/8" spacers.

However, as a daily driver, this is probably my most comfortable and practical lift set up yet. The OME set up on my 93 was just plain harsh and the Bilstein/Cornfed + Bilstein/Downey set up on the 99 was also harsh. I liked the SAWs on the 99 but too much maintenance.

Let me say again, I love the OME 890/Comfort shock set up so as long as you do not tow or carry a lot of weight, I am not sure why you would go with the 891's. I do plan on adding some airbags at a later date.

FINAL NOTE : If you drive the road alot, REVO's are the best AT I think you can buy. They are quiter and less out of balance that the RT/S's I took off and are som much btter off road. Of course, they do not do well in mud or deep snow but very few AT's do.

David

P.S. #1 hot tip for removing stubborn rear shocks. Put a socket or a wrench on the top nut and allow it to spin to a spot where it is locked against the body or frame. Now use a strap wrench on the upper shock body with an extension down to ratchet. With lots of PB blaster, it has never failed me so far.

Of course, there is always a sawzall or blue tip wrench but that is a little brutal

Last edited by nrgetic99; 07-24-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 AM

In case we forget, a moments silence for our fallen friend who inspired my new project..I still prefer the looks of my sadly expired 93..

David
Old 07-24-2006, 05:11 AM

Nice rims!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:30 AM

I picked up my Revos on the buy 3 get 1 free deal also.

I wouldn't return it to those knuckleheads to rotate/balance, but it was a good deal!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

great review, thanks for the info. sounds like this is what i will be doing for my next suspension setup. the front is firm but not too jarring? i wish i could get a ride. As far as towing, the main things i am normally towing, which is not often, are our jet skis or hobie cat, neither weigh too, much so that would be ok, right?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
great review, thanks for the info. sounds like this is what i will be doing for my next suspension setup. the front is firm but not too jarring? i wish i could get a ride. As far as towing, the main things i am normally towing, which is not often, are our jet skis or hobie cat, neither weigh too, much so that would be ok, right?

At the price, I would think the air bags that fit inside the coil would be all you would need for towing. I don't have onboard air (yet) but do have one of those MV -1050 compressors which is very good. I would just set up the air line behind the rear bumper and inflate the air bags if I needed them.

David
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
Funny, I must get an email a day asking me how I like my OME suspension lift. Well, I have 2 words to say about it, "NO REGRETS!!!". I had over 700lbs in the back the other weekend and my 4runner sat just about level (with 881's and 890's). I have towed double trailers with jetskis, ATV's etc and all was fine with it. The comfort shocks ride fantastic, not jarring even over washboard roads. I am not surprised in the least that nrgetic99 came to the same conclusion.

BTW, David, give those front springs some time to flex and settle. I bought a used pair and by the time I got them, they were perfectly settled/broken in already. The harshness up front is probably due to this.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-24-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Funny, I must get an email a day asking me how I like my OME suspension lift. Well, I have 2 words to say about it, "NO REGRETS!!!". I had over 700lbs in the back the other weekend and my 4runner sat just about level (with 881's and 890's). I have towed double trailers with jetskis, ATV's etc and all was fine with it. The comfort shocks ride fantastic, not jarring even over washboard roads. I am not surprised in the least that nrgetic99 came to the same conclusion.

BTW, David, give those front springs some time to flex and settle. I bought a used pair and by the time I got them, they were perfectly settled/broken in already. The harshness up front is probably due to this.
Just to be clear, I have brand new Tundra 4WD springs up front.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Just to be clear, I have brand new Tundra 4WD springs up front.
I think it's time to call it a day, I stand corrected.
At least the rear lifts are the same.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

You inspired me, I pulled the trigger on 4WD tundra springs and N91s struts up front. Extended studs and 2 pairs of spacers to make her level. Still deciding on the rear. Might keep what I already have, but it's pretty bumpy, I'll see how it feels/looks with my new front.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks awesome! Great job on the wheels! Any rubbing or any adverse effect with the bump up on the wheel upgrade?

Quick Reply: Lifted, refinished LC wheels, REVOS - big pics