Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Jet Chip in New PP Catalog for 95-02 3.4L V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Chip in New PP Catalog for 95-02 3.4L V6

I got my new PP catalog today and it has a Jet Chip listed that isn't on PP's website yet. They claim an increase of 10-13 HP at the rear wheels, improved throttle response, and low end torque. They even have graphs of the output of the 2.7L and 3.4L engines with and without the chip. Is anyone familiar with this chip? I recall reading an old post on here saying that the Toyota stock control unit was impossible to hack, if that's what you want to call what Jet does. In order to install this chip, you have to pull your control unit and mail it in the Jet upgrade package that PP sends to you. It is sent to Jet by Fed Ex overnight and they replace the chip in 24 hours and Fed Ex overnight it back to you. Minimum of 4 days downtime for the vehicle. From what I have gathered, the Jet Chips have not gone over very well on this forum. Give me some feedback dudes. I would love to add a Supercharger, but I am getting ready to buy a house so that is kinda taking precedence. Later guys.

Matt
Old 09-09-2002, 04:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have read a few posts long time ago on ODW that it's a waste of money on a Toyota 3.0 and 3.4 engine.
Falls along the same line as one of those Tornado things you put on your manifold.

Best to spend the $400 on a good exhaust and deck plate mod.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:33 PM

how long did it take you to get your catalog?
Old 09-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Rowan,
It took forever. Probably two months to get it.

Corey,
That is what I have heard about them also. Waste of money. However, their dynos claim a pretty significant increase. Here are the numbers. HP is horsepower at the rear wheels.

RPMs Stock Config (HP) With Jet (HP)
2600 91 96
2800 97 106
3000 103 112
3400 108 117
3600 116 126
4000 118 129
4400 122 134
5000 125 138

I started a thread the other day about the new TRD 160 degree thermostat. Supposedly, it will fool the ECU into thinking the engine is really cool and the ECU will respond by supplying more fuel to the engine, resulting in more power. A couple of guys on the other fourm said that this can cause buildup inside the engine, which I do not understand if you are running a premium 92 octane gas. Even if you burn more gas, as long as it is clean, there should be no buildup, right? Anyway, do these Jet chips operate on this same principle, supply more fuel to the engine to get more output?

Matt
Old 09-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

I hope you guys can understand those numbers. It took my spaces out when I posted.

Matt
Old 09-09-2002, 06:07 PM

yeah those numbers are not too hard to understand at all.

that sucks that it takes so long, i ordered one about a month ago. well thanks for letting me know it takes longer. i think ill put this thing on here just for fun-
Old 09-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Read Gadgets website...I dont think this gets his seal of approval.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, Gadget didn't have much good to say about it but I started thinking and if I had a 250+ HP supercharged beast like he has, would I notice a 10-13 HP increase? I doubt it. Not to say that the Jet might still turn out to be crap, buy you never know until you try it for yourself.

Matt
Old 09-09-2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
Yeah, Gadget didn't have much good to say about it but I started thinking and if I had a 250+ HP supercharged beast like he has, would I notice a 10-13 HP increase? I doubt it. Not to say that the Jet might still turn out to be crap, buy you never know until you try it for yourself.

Matt
Before I read about it at Gadget's site, I was considering this chip as well. But are you aware that if you do any upgrades according to Jet you will have to reprogram the chip again ... so say for instance you decide to supercharge somewhere down the line , jet says you will have to reprogram again (as well as any other significant mods like headers, etc.) Jet basically told me to wait until I had all other mods done before I ordered from them ... but by then I had read Gadget's site and decided against it.

IMHO even if you had 250hp going you should still be able to feel 10-15hp and let's not forget Gadget Dyno'd his rig many times with the different setups, so I tend to believe his comments about the poor/absent performance about Jet.

IMO you would be better off adding headers if you want a good increase in hp.

Just my .02
Old 09-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Beowolf,
I would love to add some headers, but I am afraid that the labor for install would be very very steep. All the dealers I have talked to can say nothing but they are a pain in the ass to put on, which I believe because it is so compact in there. From what I have read and heard, they do make a really big difference in performance. Just a pain in the ass to put on unless the vehicle is built with them from the get go. Got anything to add to that, or does that about sum up what you know about them? Later.

Matt
Old 09-10-2002, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Matt
Your right, you never really know until you try it yourself. I dont think you will accuratly feel 10 hp diffference even if you are stock. So be sure to include the costs of dyno testing your rig before and after so we will know if it really works.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:46 AM

Beowolf,
I would love to add some headers, but I am afraid that the labor for install would be very very steep. All the dealers I have talked to can say nothing but they are a pain in the ass to put on, which I believe because it is so compact in there. From what I have read and heard, they do make a really big difference in performance. Just a pain in the ass to put on unless the vehicle is built with them from the get go. Got anything to add to that, or does that about sum up what you know about them? Later.

Matt
That is TRUE, they are a pain to install. When I was shopping around to find a dealer to do an install some didn't even want to do it, other dealers wanted between $350-$500 to do the install.

Luckily here in San Deigo there are a lot of custom exhaust shops and baja shops that do really good work on Toyotas and I found a guy to do it for a good price. I do not know how to weld, or I would have probably tried to do it myself...

Old 09-10-2002, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by jalaber

Your right, you never really know until you try it yourself. I dont think you will accuratly feel 10 hp diffference even if you are stock. So be sure to include the costs of dyno testing your rig before and after so we will know if it really works.
I think $400 is too much to try and find out if something works or not!

Matt, if you are serious about the Jet Chip, why don't you call Jet directly and explain that people on the boards have no good feedback on their chips when it comes to the Toyota 3.4L V6 and ask them to send you one so you can test it and write a technical article up for people to see that it really does perform as they say.

Tell them you will put in the tech. section on YotaTech.com and provide a link to their website if it does perform well! Explain to them how many people read the boards and if the Jet Chip really is a performer as they say, they will have the potential of many 4Runner and Tacoma owners considering their chips.

On a side note ... Hey jalaber, I read your write up on the the deckplate mod from your website and it is EXCELLENT!!!

Old 09-10-2002, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Beowolf,
Did you get the headers put on your 4Runner? If so, what brand did you go with and how much was the labor for the install at your local shop?
I have heard that they make a really big difference in performance, how much did you notice?

Matt
Old 09-10-2002, 09:28 PM

Beowolf,
Did you get the headers put on your 4Runner? If so, what brand did you go with and how much was the labor for the install at your local shop?
I have heard that they make a really big difference in performance, how much did you notice?

Matt
TRD Headers $715.00
Install $325.00
Jet Hot Coating $40.00

As of yet Matt, they are not installed, I will keep you posted! (but I have actually started gathering parts (spending money) for a S/C install and I am not sure when I will get around to installing the headers)

I do have some other good news about headers though. When I was checking installation prices at a dealer called "Toyota of Escondido," I met a guy there in the parts section who said they are now referring people to Downey instead of TRD Headers because of the difficult installation process with the TRD ones.

This is pretty significant because that particular dealership is one of TRD's biggest dealers ... they are actually a TRD Boutique as he called it where all TRD parts are on display (pretty cool store).

Anyways, they are very experienced with header installation and have installed a lot of Downey's without any problems and have Dyno'd them as well with the TRD averaging only 1hp more than the Downeys. Plus the installation is a lot easier.

If I had talked to him before the TRD purchase I would have seriously considered Downey instead. With the parts, labor and coating only turned out to be under $800.

So that may be something for you to consider.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Beowolf,
Thanks a bunch for the info!! Who should I have put the Jet coating on, or is this something that I can easily do myself? Again, Thanks.

Matt
Old 09-11-2002, 05:52 AM

Gadget has a n/a dyno run from a magazine on his site showing high 140's at the rear wheels. This particular dyno run would suggest that the Jet Chip doesn't do much for you.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:58 AM

Who should I have put the Jet coating on, or is this something that I can easily do myself? Again, Thanks.

Matt
Jet Hot or performance coating is something that should be done by a paint/performance shop ... look in the Yellow Pages for shops that do ceramic coating or powdercoating and they will probably do Jet Hot or at least put you in contact with someone who does. Try to shop around, it shouldn't cost more than $60.

Another option would be asking the dealer who sells you the headers if they can Jet Hot it for you before they ship it out. A lot of times they will have somebody that they do special deals with.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2002, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding more fuel will not increase HP. You also need to add more air to burn that fuel. If you add fuel, but not more air, then only part of the fuel burns. The part of the fuel that does not burn washes oil off the cylinder walls, and leaks past the piston rings, and can start the sludge process.

It's fairly easy to get more fuel into an engine, but it's hard to get more air into an engine. That's why you see so much benefit from headers and improved intake systems - it's the air, not the fuel.

Then, you've really raised the bar when you add a turbo or supercharger - that's REAL air!

Dave

Rowan,
It took forever. Probably two months to get it.

Corey,
That is what I have heard about them also. Waste of money. However, their dynos claim a pretty significant increase. Here are the numbers. HP is horsepower at the rear wheels.

RPMs Stock Config (HP) With Jet (HP)
2600 91 96
2800 97 106
3000 103 112
3400 108 117
3600 116 126
4000 118 129
4400 122 134
5000 125 138

I started a thread the other day about the new TRD 160 degree thermostat. Supposedly, it will fool the ECU into thinking the engine is really cool and the ECU will respond by supplying more fuel to the engine, resulting in more power. A couple of guys on the other fourm said that this can cause buildup inside the engine, which I do not understand if you are running a premium 92 octane gas. Even if you burn more gas, as long as it is clean, there should be no buildup, right? Anyway, do these Jet chips operate on this same principle, supply more fuel to the engine to get more output?

Matt
Old 09-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by QuattroDave
Adding more fuel will not increase HP. You also need to add more air to burn that fuel. If you add fuel, but not more air, then only part of the fuel burns. The part of the fuel that does not burn washes oil off the cylinder walls, and leaks past the piston rings, and can start the sludge process.

It's fairly easy to get more fuel into an engine, but it's hard to get more air into an engine. That's why you see so much benefit from headers and improved intake systems - it's the air, not the fuel.

Then, you've really raised the bar when you add a turbo or supercharger - that's REAL air!

Dave

Ok Dave, you sound like you know what you are talking about...

I have a supercharger and my truck is on the borderline of not getting enough fuel. How would you go about getting more fuel into the thing to take advantage of all that extra air. The dealer tells me that bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump will not help. The factory ECU still controls how much fuel goes into the engine. Any words of wisdom???

I have posed this queston in many forums and I can't seem to get a usable answer.

Noel

Last edited by tomus1000; 09-18-2002 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Jet Chip in New PP Catalog for 95-02 3.4L V6