Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interior Rhino Lining???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Rhino Lining???

Okay I'm not gona use Rhino Lining for real, that stuff is expensive, they wanted $550 just to do the interior of a Wrangler, so I could only imagine the price for a 1st gen Runner. Anyways what I want to know is if anyone has had experiance with other roll on products like Herculiner, Durabak, ect.

I have a 1/2 gallon of this stuff Bondo makes for bed liners, I got it for a good price $50(employee discount, friends are great) and figured I could return it if need be. I'm worried about the durability and long lasting toughness of this stuff I want it to last if I'm gona spend good money on it. Let me know if anyone has ANY input with any roll on liners.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Rhino Lining Interior???

Okay I'm not gona use Rhino Lining for real, that stuff is expensive, they wanted $550 just to do the interior of a Wrangler, so I could only imagine the price for a 1st gen Runner. Anyways what I want to know is if anyone has had experiance with other roll on products like Herculiner, Durabak, ect.

I have a 1/2 gallon of this stuff Bondo makes for bed liners, I got it for a good price $50(employee discount, friends are great) and figured I could return it if need be. I'm worried about the durability and long lasting toughness of this stuff I want it to last if I'm gona spend good money on it. Let me know if anyone has ANY input with any roll on liners.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:38 AM

I'm not familiar with the product your using. But the roll on stuff that I've used in the past is ok. It's more like a tough paint job, rather than a bedliner.

If you can get it as thick as the rhino lining and such, you'll be doing just as good.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

I've been researching the same thing for my FJ40. What I've heard is that its alot harder to get a consistent coat when rolling it on. Harbor Freight sells a undercoating spray gun that is supposed to work like a charm. Also, spend alot of time on the prep to make sure it sticks. Rough every bit of surface with 80 grit sandpaper. I'm probably going to go with Durabak, looks like they've got alot of different color options if you're looking to match the interior color.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not really worried about the interior color, I'll prolly lay the carpet back over it all just to keep it quiet inside and make it feel normal at least. I'll make some extra cuts in the carpet so that I can remove it a day before a trail run. This thing is still my daily driver and I want it to be as civil as possible. My main concern now is that a gallon will do my entire truck, 2 gallons or a little over would devistate me. If there's enough left over I might be able to sell off the remaining for my friend to do his Rubicon with.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:07 PM

habor freight's undercoating spray gun look REAL GOOD!!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43761

I must order one for myself when I do my bed.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:55 PM

The only time I've seen a DIY Herculiner job inside a truck it was HIDEOUS. It stank, was uneven and was downright FUGLY. It was a huge mistake, IMO.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm that spray gun looks tempting to me too. One question though, where do you put the stuff to be sprayed on I see no canister included with that gun, do you jsut run a tube to the bucket. I doubt that, or do you just have to buy a genaric canister. I don't want this to be a huge headach, the suspension and all is more than I want to deal with already.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:10 PM

my buddy and i used duplicolor roll on bedliner for his wrangler, a gallon was plenty for 3 coats and we had some left over. remember, the prepwork is key. i also used the duplicolor on the sides of my 4runner, gravel, etc doesnt chip it at all even going 60 down the gravel road!
Old 03-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like you do need to find a cannister that'll fit to the gun, but I bet you could find some cheap plastic bottles without too much trouble. The liner's not cheap though, Durabak wants ~90 bucks a gallon! I read one review that said Herculiner gave a much smoother finish, almost slippery, as opposed to Durabak which ended up like sandpaper. One thing to remember if you decide to spray it, is that you probably have to thin it down a bit with about 10% Xylene, will make it thin enough to spray properly. I haven't decided whether to get 1 or 2 gallons for the inside of my FJ-40.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:37 PM

My dad has the interior of his full size Bronco Rhino lined. It looks great and has been holding up well. It nice because we just go to the car wash and spray out the interior, it's clean in minutes.

I would definately go for some type of spray on.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:18 PM

From what I've seen, the DIY stuff doesn't even compare to the real liners like Rhino or Line-X. Most of them can be scraped off pretty easily, your prep work is absolutely critical to make sure it adheres well. My bed has Rhino on it, and I'm very happy with it. Cost me a little under $400 when I had it done. I'm planning on getting the cab floor done in the near future, and I'm gonna stick with Rhino. I don't trust Line-X as half of the jobs I've seen are bubbling up while not a single Rhino job shows signs of deterioration.

Oh ya, and if you're DIY'ing it with Herculiner and nature calls, wash your hands first! You don't want to be like that Ford guy with liner on his "hootus".
Old 03-11-2004, 02:33 AM

Never done it myself. That said, I've seen it in the interior of a number of vehicles and it looked good and apparently worked well. No complaints by any of the owners.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

I used to work for Rhino, and I have done numerous interiors. Let me remind you, if you do the DIY method, it will be twice as expensive when you realize that it sucks and you have to have all that crap scraped out and redone. Be absolutely positive that is the route you want to take. Like Shane mentioned, prep is crucial.

$550 isn't bad considering the prep work. You might ask if you could bring them the shell if it would be cheaper. We used to discount when people would bring us everything stripped out.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

I would absolutley love to have it Rhino lined, but I'm in deep trying to re do the suspension,steering, gears and lockers, and a good paint job. I've heard many a scary tale about roll on DIY liners, and it scares the hell out of me. So now I'm stuck back in limbo where I was before.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:59 AM

I would say for what your wanting to do DIY would work just fine. I would deffinately recomment spraying it. Your gonna get it more consistant and itll prolly look a heck of alot better. I used Dupli-color brand bedliner(sold at Napa) for my bed. You can spray it or roll it. I sprayed mine with a gun you can by for like 20 or 30 dollars made by duplicolor(similar to the harbor freight gun). The bedliner sells for like 50 a gallon or so. The gun just has a tube that runs to the gallon can, yeah its not the best design but it works. The texture of the bedliner varies alot based on how wet you spray it and at what PSI. I would deffinately do some testing first. I would plan on using 2 gallons to get it thick enough. Prepping it is probably the most important part.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:59 AM

I haven't started my interior yet(waiting for the summer). But I'm going with Herculiner. I used that stuff a few years back on my old Bronco on the exterior(lower rocker panels). That stuff was great. It came out amazingly even, and that was on a vertical surface. I have no doubt that doing a roll on in the interior that you could easily get it even and awesome looking if you take your time. And as far as the Herculiner goes, you can Herculine Herculiner. So if you have ANY problems in a certain area, just do a little touch up. I'm not sure if the others work that way.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

I worked at Rhino and did numerous interiors. You will regret going the DIY route, especially on the interior - trust me. Isn't there another thread with this exact question going?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

I posted a similar thread over on Pirate a couple days ago. Paying >400 bucks to have a trail rig Rhino-ed is a bit silly. I've talked to a few people that have done it themselves. My guess is that the jobs that came out like crap probably did a half-assed job on the prep work. Time will tell, I'll be sure to post pics once I finish mine, and will have fork and knife ready to eat my words if it comes out like crap.