Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Intake Silencer Mod ***UPDATE***

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allright, someone who's got a digital video camera needs to take some vids and sound clips of the interior sound with this mod. I am all for a performance sound, but I would like to be able to hear myself think inside the car. Is it a really loud roar with the windows up or down? Dyno Dr. Z, Dyno!!!! He he

Matt
Old 10-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Would this work?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Away

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
Would this work?
Hard to say. Does it give the length along with the ID and OD? If the dimensions match what I listed in the write-up, then yes, it should work.

Good Luck Ryan.

Dr. Z
Old 10-27-2002, 08:27 PM

That is a coupling for 2.5 inch conduit. Conduit is measured ID, so the coupler would be at least 2.75 inch ID. The OD would be around 3ish. By that estimation, it looks like the total length would be about 4 or 5 inches. You need around 5.5 for the replacement.

In short, no, That would not work.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:16 AM
Away

Originally posted by Juppers
We got back to the garage, and immediately my buddy had the hood up on his 97 Taco looking for a way to apply a similar mod. His intake has a whole bunch more stuff on it, but we are determined to work something out for it.
I meant to say something about this last night, but I was having too much fun being stupid.

Anyway, why not have your friend try the Duct Tape on his system? He only has two boxes hanging off his Intake, right? A J shaped box right after the MAF and one Silencer hanging off the front. That way he could see if he liked this. I am pretty sure that the 99-02 intake hoses would fit on the Tacos.

Since you guys are buddies, why not see if your intake will fit on his truck? That would be a great help to the Taco owners looking to try this. Please post back with your results.

Thanks
Dr. Z
Old 10-28-2002, 08:40 AM

He has a 4 banger and his intake is way on the driver side of the engine, where mine is more center. I will check it out and see if we can work something out. We are looking at aftermarket cold air intakes to see which is going to be the better solution.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:49 AM

Hey Dr. Z, Will a 2.75" OD work? I can get stainless steel tubing with 2.75" OD and 2.5" ID. I can also get aluminum with an OD of 2.625" and an ID of about 2.5" . I'd rather use the stainless steel if it will fit but will settle for the aluminum. I don't know how much the rubber tubes will expand to accept the tubing, so I thought I'd ask you.

I'll have to buy this tubing in bulk, so if someone wants to buy some off me, let me know.

-phong
Old 10-28-2002, 08:51 AM
Away

Originally posted by Juppers
He has a 4 banger and his intake is way on the driver side of the engine, where mine is more center. I will check it out and see if we can work something out. We are looking at aftermarket cold air intakes to see which is going to be the better solution.
Oohhh. I didn't realize he had a 4 Banger. Volant makes really nice intakes. And they are true cold-air systems. Here's a system for his truck.

Truck Performance carries them.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 10-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Away

Originally posted by phong
Hey Dr. Z, Will a 2.75" OD work? I can get stainless steel tubing with 2.75" OD and 2.5" ID. I can also get aluminum with an OD of 2.625" and an ID of about 2.5" . I'd rather use the stainless steel if it will fit but will settle for the aluminum. I don't know how much the rubber tubes will expand to accept the tubing, so I thought I'd ask you.

I'll have to buy this tubing in bulk, so if someone wants to buy some off me, let me know.

-phong
Yes, 2.75 OD will work. I should have made that clear in my write-up. I will ask Corey to make a change for me. I think larger than 2.75 would be a tight squeeze. But I know 2.75 will fit just fine.

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 10-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Blu

Sorry it took so long to get back and to get it done. Been too busy around here to even think. I must say I am happy with the results I got. It wasn't neck snapping but, noticable I thought. I notices a faster, crisper throttle response and seems to pull better in the upper rpm range. The sound is the best part i think ( the gearhead coming out).
I will send the pictures to Corey right away and then he can tell me which ones to use for an article.
It was really simple ones I got the right pieces. Took it out several times to modify something. Here is a list of parts I used.
2' of flexible furnace ducting ( for a mock set up)
3" pipe that the muffler shop supplied and bent
4 hose clamps
5" of rubber hose that is 3" inside diameter
1-1/2" 90 degree fitting
1-7/16" 90 degree fitting
I made a mock set-up with the funace ducting with the proper bends in it. Also to length. Then I took it to the muffler shop and had them bend and cut it exactly to the mock using 3" pipe. The rest was putting it together at home.
I have some pictures that I took and they really explain it well. I would be happy to e-mail them to whom ever wants to give this a go. Corey blubyu@shaw.ca
Old 10-28-2002, 11:24 AM
Away

*Applause*

Way to go Blu!!!

Nice one. I can't wait to see the write-up and pics.

Dr. Z
Old 10-28-2002, 11:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool Blu!
Send the pics and the text to me, and I'll make a write-up for the forum here.
corey@yotatech.com

I probably won't get to it until tomorrow though.
Working on some other articles now.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:37 PM

Blu, I am glad to hear that you did it. I want to take a look at the setup and what you have to do and I will probably try it. I am wondering what they dyno shows that the gains are? Any ideas? Thanks again for going out on a limb and doing this! I guess this is the closest we are going to get to the deckplate?!?! :fireman:
Old 10-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Blu

I tried to take some other stuff out while I was doing it and the truck would either not run or sound horrible. I think I took out as much as we can. With that said, I think it is as close to an deckplate mod as it gets. My next one is to play with my airbox. Just not to sure if it is going to make a difference. I think the one I did is better than the FIPK kits because you still draw in cool air.

As far as a dyno I really don't think it is worth the money to get it done. It is expensive here as where I live we just got one a month ago. I noticed when I hammer the throttle there is no slight hesitation like they all have. It seems to be right there, way more responsive when I hammer the throttle. Going through the gears it seems to pull harder through the rpm range. I gained a bit I am sure but not a whole lot. Hard to explain. I guarantee you'll notice a difference. The sound alone is worth the time and effort. I will finish the write up tonight then, you guys can try. For what it costs to do it is well worth the time and effort. I think It cost me between $20-30 Can. Now that I have done it, would have been cheaper. Corey
Old 10-28-2002, 02:56 PM
Blu

Btown4runner e-mail me if you would like some pictures right away.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

Last Friday I was able to get together with Dr. Z here in Portland and we went over the silencer intake mod for the 96-98 model.

I went to pick up some parts this morning and "got on it" a few times to try to realize what it felt like before the mod's. I normally drive pretty easy and am more concerned about fuel mileage than getting there faster.

I couldn't find a 4-way brass fitting in the 1/8" size anywhere so I decided to make one with two T's and a close 1/8" nipple. Works fine but looks a little clunky. I also decided to look for something to fill the three holes after removing the silencer boxes with and not use duct tape. I figure I wanted to do the mod anyway. So I bought a couple adjustable freeze plugs for the two smaller sizes at NAPA and had to go to a hardware store and get a plumbing rubber test plug for the largest one. A person could probably get all three from NAPA but may have to order the largest one. Might be able to get all three from a well stocked plumbing shop also. I know that it would be cleaner looking to get the newer style intake tubes from Toyota and I still may do that in the future.

I did the deckplate mod first. BTW I found Permatex Sensor Safe in the automotive section of K-Mart for $3.29...Very surprised. That went smooth, then I went out for a drive. Noticed a small increase in intake noise at wot which is what I expected. I definitely felt that power and acceleration increased. Not very scientific but I'm sure it's there. I'm still waiting for my AMSOIL air filter so I'm using the paper Fram still.

Then I went back home and did the intake silencer mod. Went back out for a ride. This time, I did notice a larger increase in intake sound at wot and also noticed considerably more power and acceleration. It seemed to really set me back in the seat. Again, not very scientific but felt like a very noticeable increase. With the two mods added together, it seemed like a big increase over no mods. I didn't notice any noise increase other than wot.

So, I'm very happy with it even though I don't intend to utilize the extra power very much, but, it's always nice to have it and I'm hoping for an increase in efficiency which should translate to better fuel mileage.

The cost of the plugs run around $3 ea. A little more than duct tape but at least I got the boxes off there.

Micker
Old 10-28-2002, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up

Juppers, Is this the type of pipe that you used?

Plastic Conduit

How was the fit?
Old 10-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Round II is online

The Doc has done it again

I just got done making part II for the '96 to '98 rigs, and it can be found linked at the bottom of page one.

Corey
Old 10-28-2002, 05:09 PM
Away

Originally posted by Micker
So, I'm very happy with it even though I don't intend to utilize the extra power very much, but, it's always nice to have it and I'm hoping for an increase in efficiency which should translate to better fuel mileage.

Micker
Hey Micker,

Thanks for posting! Glad to have met you IRL! I'm happy you like the mod, even if you aren't going to use it...

I bet he shows up here next week whining about the speeding ticket he gets.

Seriously Micker, way to go and it was great to meet you! We have to go wheeling sometime!

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 10-28-2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by mulletov
Juppers, Is this the type of pipe that you used?

Plastic Conduit

How was the fit?
That was exactly what I used cut down to 5.5 inches long. It fit real snug. You need to attach the throttlebody side before the airbox side or you are asking for a headache. You could probably go up to 5.75 inches long for a little more play roomwith the clamps. I will probably take it out and paint it wednesday, and if I don't like the look probably go with metal conduit and have it powdercoated. I will post back on how I think it looks with the painted plastic, as well as pics of before and after.

Quick Reply: Intake Silencer Mod ***UPDATE***