Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Injector Cleaning: what method?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Cleaning: what method?

I run a can of BG 44K through my tank at each oil change (5,000 mi). It makes my 3.4 engine run smooth while it has the 44K in the fuel. However I can't help but think that one pint of cleaner diluted in 14 gallons of gas isn't accomplishing a true cleaning of the fuel injectors.

Q: Has anyone performed an injector cleaning where the cleaner is hooked up directly to the fuel rail? This seems like it would be much more effective.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not done it on my 4runner but as a mechanic I have certainly done that in the past and it does do a great job but how much benefit you get depends on how much carbon/varnish buildup there is in the first place. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One word for ya: SEAFOAM!!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Personally, if you've been religiously using a good injector or fuel system cleaner at 5-10k mile intervals, you may not need to do the more exhorbitant and expensive cleaning since you've prevented the kind of build-up that would require more direct cleaning.

I've used tank-fed cleaners for years at about 10k intervals and, with over 600,000 miles on numerous fuel injected vehicles, never had to perform other methods of injector cleaning.

Last edited by Rick F.; 07-11-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

I generally run a can of BG's 44K through my system once a year (10k miles or so) but I think a professional system once over might be good if you're buying a truck with some miles on it.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SeaFoam:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/seafoam-verdict-69490/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/seafoam-injector-intake-cleaner-good-stuff-64836/

Doesn't anyone search anymore? sigh.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Doesn't anyone search anymore? sigh.
Yes, but not everyone is as good a searcher as you, oh holy search engine god.

Jesus, lay off on the people that you don't think did a search. I freaking BUILD SEARCH ENGINES for a living, and there's nothing that guarantees that what I type in vs. what you type in, and going to come up with the same topics.

Not everyone types the same thing into the serarch engine as you do. So, why not just lay off a bit?

Also, those two topics you posted, have nothing, specifically, to do with injector cleaning. They're about using sea foam as an INTAKE CLEANER.

Now, to answer the real question at hand: Never done the full injector cleaner like the dealership does, but it's only $119. That's around 5 cans of BG44K, and I imagine it would do a much better job than a single can of BG44k.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ricky
Yes, but not everyone is as good a searcher as you, oh holy search engine god.

Jesus, lay off on the people that you don't think did a search. I freaking BUILD SEARCH ENGINES for a living, and there's nothing that guarantees that what I type in vs. what you type in, and going to come up with the same topics.

Not everyone types the same thing into the serarch engine as you do. So, why not just lay off a bit?

Also, those two topics you posted, have nothing, specifically, to do with injector cleaning. They're about using sea foam as an INTAKE CLEANER.

Now, to answer the real question at hand: Never done the full injector cleaner like the dealership does, but it's only $119. That's around 5 cans of BG44K, and I imagine it would do a much better job than a single can of BG44k.
You use a small amount through your intake PCV line to do the valves...the rest goes in your tank. It says this specifically on the can. Or you can run straight seafoam through your tank. I had a 91' with over 225,000 miles and always used seafoam and when I sent my injectors off to get ultrasonically cleaned, they all looked great across the board besides one failed a leakdown test. So what Mark is trying to say is use Seafoam...it works.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

From what I've read, BG 44K is relatively very harsh and potent compared to other injector/fuel system cleaners. Personally, I think every oil change is excessive, and it would be better to only use it every 15-20k.

I use to use 44K all the time (the shop I work at uses it), but have since switched to something I consider overall superior: http://lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm
Old 07-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

I have had good luck w/ BG 44K. Just don't use too much. Last time I ran two cans in one tank and fouled the crap out of my spark plugs.
Since then I switched to Iridiums and only run one can at a time!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ricky
Jesus, lay off on the people that you don't think did a search.
I think that's about the first time I've said anything in at least 2 months.

I freaking BUILD SEARCH ENGINES for a living...
Been there, done that. In C and assembly under Windows, Linux and custom OS's on the ARM 7. I understand the issues.

None the less, "injector cleaner" pounded into the engine on this forum does in fact produce valid results. In fact, one of them is the "big" Seafoam thread. (fwiw, it's titled "Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF"). Yeup, that would have shown up here on a search alright.

In fact, it even did when I checked before I pounced on the original poster. I ALWAYS check before I pounce. I'd hate to be caught by someone who wants to try to take me to task.

See my snippy response in the previous sentence. Also note that the label on the can itself says Injector Cleaner on the top line. See the picture a few posts up.

Care to play anymore? Geez.

Last edited by midiwall; 07-11-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

I've never even heard of this 44...whatever stuff, BUT, I know from my experience with about 8 different vehicles using seafoam in them works wonders on everything. I even use it in mowers and 2 stroke applications. Check out the other more concise thread about seafoam for a good idea of what to expect and how to do it.

The only other thing I use is Lucas Upper cylinder lubricant & injector cleaner. It's cheaper and comes in a 32oz. bottle. I put a few ounces in the gas tank every fill up or every other.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 AM

Thanks guys. Lot's a great information.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

GM top engine cleaner (no, it's not just for GM cars/trucks) is very similar to Seafoam and from what I have seen it works very well too. I don't know how it compares price-wise to Seafoam though.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:08 AM

I think that's about the first time I've said anything in at least 2 months.

Been there, done that. In C and assembly under Windows, Linux and custom OS's on the ARM 7. I understand the issues.

None the less, "injector cleaner" pounded into the engine on this forum does in fact produce valid results. In fact, one of them is the "big" Seafoam thread. (fwiw, it's titled "Seafoam Injector / Intake Cleaner = GOOD STUFF"). Yeup, that would have shown up here on a search alright.

In fact, it even did when I checked before I pounced on the original poster. I ALWAYS check before I pounce. I'd hate to be caught by someone who wants to try to take me to task.

See my snippy response in the previous sentence. Also note that the label on the can itself says Injector Cleaner on the top line. See the picture a few posts up.

Care to play anymore? Geez.

I found the Seafoam thread fascinating, I am glad it was revived due to your links posted, and I am glad the new thread was posted prompting you to post those links because I would have never even thought to look for it. Honestly people posting the same ลลลล over and over again does get annoying, but on the flip side of that not all of read this forum every damn day, so in light of that the topics are always repeated. A lot of times it's nice to see some fresh outlooks on topics regarding these trucks from new members or members that pop in once in a while. There's no fee for posting so if people want to ask "what kind of oil should I use" every day it doesn't bother me, I can just choose not to read those threads.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:30 AM

[hijack]

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Honestly people posting the same ลลลล over and over again does get annoying, but on the flip side of that not all of read this forum every damn day, so in light of that the topics are always repeated.
The issue with 187 threads all asking about "what's the best oil?" is that it feeds into one of the issues that Ricky was inferring... TOO MUCH information.

A search engine at this level is inherently stoopid. It doesn't understand that there _could be_ 187 threads all asking the same question. It only knows that it found the words that you typed into the form within a message within a thread, it doesn't understand context. Which also means that if you type "injector cleaner" then it could pull up a hit in a thread where someone was talking about their cold start injector sticking open, and then the thread got hijacked into talking about using floor cleaner on cement.

So, when someone comes along and creates the 188th thread about oil, it only adds to the confusion, and creates another hit in the search results list.

THAT's why _I_ pounce on people about searching, I can't speak for others.

[/hijack]
Old 07-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Too bad the search engine doesn't have the thread rating next to it to help cut down some of that confusion.
Maybe that might be a good suggestion to moderators?
Old 07-12-2006, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Too bad the search engine doesn't have the thread rating next to it to help cut down some of that confusion.
Maybe that might be a good suggestion to moderators?
Yeah, that may help, but it also requires people to vote, or even to know that they can. I'd guess that when I search for stuff, 9 times out of 10 I'll find what I'm looking for in an unrated thread.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that may help, but it also requires people to vote, or even to know that they can. I'd guess that when I search for stuff, 9 times out of 10 I'll find what I'm looking for in an unrated thread.
Yep, same here......often takes alot of reading to get what you want. That's usually why I try an point to previous good threads for people who ask if I can think of one right offhand, but the "oil" and "injector cleaner" threads have been especially numerous.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

I ran 44K through my turbo Eclipse's fuel system for over 8 years and never had a problem and since I usually pulled my injectors and such once a year I could see the stuff was doing the job. My car was very raced and had a fuel pressure guage and it always ran solid and zero problems with the fuel system.

If you run something like BG's regularly then down the road you'll not need to hassle with Seafoam.
Seafoam is probably good for a neglected engine but overkill for a well kept up engine with regular maintenance IMO.

Quick Reply: Injector Cleaning: what method?