Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

import a killer turbo diesel 4rnr from japan!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Diesel Surf

Hi To All
I'm from the Philippines and Toyota doesn't import these units. Mine is a "grey market" import Jap Domestic Model which was converted to RHD. It's a '92 SURF SSR-X (4Runner) 2.4L diesel. 2L-TE (turbo EFI) engine. A/T 3speed plus O/D. LSD rear. NO center differential. 10.5"x31"tires on 15"rims. Try as I may I can only get 15.5 mpg driving on pavement. I'd appreciate it if anyone who has similar units can email me and trade info. I don't have an owner's manual. Thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HaveBlue
Does anyone know the engine code for the 3.0L diesel?
The 3.0 TD is the 1KZTE. The 2.4TD is either the 2LT or 2LTE, the 2.8 Normally aspirated is the 3L

Cheers
Old 12-29-2003, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Diesel Surf

Originally posted by sso42
Hi To All
I'm from the Philippines and Toyota doesn't import these units. Mine is a "grey market" import Jap Domestic Model which was converted to RHD. It's a '92 SURF SSR-X (4Runner) 2.4L diesel. 2L-TE (turbo EFI) engine. A/T 3speed plus O/D. LSD rear. NO center differential. 10.5"x31"tires on 15"rims. Try as I may I can only get 15.5 mpg driving on pavement. I'd appreciate it if anyone who has similar units can email me and trade info. I don't have an owner's manual. Thanks
I've got a 2.4LTE engined SSRX 1993 Auto. I get around 22/23 mpg, however I had to replace the Cylinder head recently because of the dreaded 2.4 cracking head syndrome.

I think the 31" tyres will make some difference. Mines running 265 70 15 (about 29.6"). You may find that swapping the diffs for a lower ratio will help bring the mileage back up. My Diesel certainly does better mileage when you let it rev rather than labouring the engine.

We've got a Forum in the UK dedicated to the Surf at www.hiluxsurf-forums.co.uk. Why don't you pop in an have a look.

Cheers
Old 12-29-2003, 08:04 AM

Cool diesel surf

Thanks Andy,

I'm a member of that forum too. You didn't mention if your Surf is a manual or A/T. I've got a friend here who has a manual tranny and he gets 22mpg. So I've been wondering if it's due to the A/T or is there something else that's wrong with my Surf.
An indicator of another potential problem is the fact that my unit emits heavy black smoke if I accelerate with a heavy foot. Problem is there isn't a shop here that can calibrate the EFI. The shop says that they'll have to take out the injection pump and send it to their main office in Manila. And they charge a lot.

Guess I'll just have to keep on searching for other alternative.
Thanks again and hope to catch you in the other forum.

Advance Happy New Year to ALL!!!

Old 12-29-2003, 08:06 AM

Cool diesel surf

Thanks Andy,

I'm a member of that forum too. You didn't mention if your Surf is a manual or A/T. I've got a friend here who has a manual tranny and he gets 22mpg. So I've been wondering if it's due to the A/T or is there something else that's wrong with my Surf.
An indicator of another potential problem is the fact that my unit emits heavy black smoke if I accelerate with a heavy foot. Problem is there isn't a shop here that can calibrate the EFI. The shop says that they'll have to take out the injection pump and send it to their main office in Manila. And they charge a lot.

By the way, I'm having a hard time getting inside this forum. I keep getting "You are not authorize to access this page."

Old 12-30-2003, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Re: diesel surf

Originally posted by sso42
Thanks Andy,

By the way, I'm having a hard time getting inside this forum. I keep getting "You are not authorize to access this page."

Mine is an Auto as well. I have a friend with a manual and his gets slightly better economy than mine but not much.

I don't think the EFI pump or the ECU would go out of spec, most likely cause is the injectors themselves. These can be changed by the average home mechanic in about 20 minutes flat if you have the right size sockets (deep 21mm and deep 19mm required)

When I first got mine I had the heavy black smoke problem. I ran Redex injector cleaner in the tank for a couple of goes (full bottle in 1/4 tank of Diesel) and that worked. You can use Parrafin (Kerosene) in the diesel as well (Mix 1 part Parrafin to 8 parts Diesel) and it will do the same job. However I found that there are only 2 permanant cures.

1. Change the Injectors - expensive but then black smoke indicates an overabundance of fuel caused by sticky nozzles or weak springs in the injectors.
2. Remove the EGR or block off the vacuum pipe to the EGR (the one to the top of the EGR unit). The EGR reinjects exhaust gasses to the combustion process and reduces the heat of burn, however this robs power, fuel economy and causes the burn to be inefficient - causing black smoke. The 2LT / 2LTE was designed long before EGRs were invented and consequently it prefers to run without. It all depends if the government in the Philppines worry about NOx emissions and test for them. You actually find that removing the EGR has a positive reduction in CO emissions and particulates which is what is tested in the UK.

Cheers

Last edited by Lucky; 12-30-2003 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:17 AM

Cool Diesel Surf

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the additional info m8, I'll try them. I do remember reading a thread about EGRs with pictures in another forum. I'll try to look it up again. Have tried the kerosine bit though and it did help but I stopped cuz someone told me it will damage my engine. Also read in some other forum about adding 1liter of ATF to a tank but haven't tried that. But I guess I should have my injectors replaced. Just not sure if I'm competent enough for the task.
Anyway thanks again.
To all you guys out there, Have a prosperous new year.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 PM

1KZ-TE (3.0L Turbo Diesel)

I'm interested in swapping out the 1VZE 3.0L gasoline with the 1KZ-TE diesel engine. Although I'm quite curious about the cost of getting the engine and it's components, so that it's able to work. If anyone knows a place to get the 3.0L turbo diesel at a fair price, let me know!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

7 year old thread. damnnn.. TRY EBAY
Old 01-12-2010, 01:44 PM

I've only seen a few places you can get them. For a 3rd gen, you want the KZN185, and you really need to buy a front clip to get everything you need for the swap. Cheapest I've seen is $8000 for the clip from Jarco or DieselToyz
Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM

In Canada, we can import the JDM Land Cruisers, etc for street licensing after 15 years. In the USA, you must wait 25 yrs.

Consequently, in Vancouver you see a JDM every few minutes on the freeway.

Don't by a Surf with the 2LT motor (2.4 ltr). Prone to head and head gasket failure.

It may be easy to import the diesel engine/tranny combo for installation. The motors usually have well under 100K km on them. In 2005, I bought a 1988 BJ74 with 80,000 km on it. The vehicle looked new. 13BT turbo diesel. Since sold.

Bruce in Tsawwassen
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM

KZN185 is just the chassis code. I'm looking for the KZ-TE, because I own a second generation with chassis code VZN130. I don't really need for them to drop the engine in, as I have friends with the space and time to help me with that portion. DieselToyz sounds great and all, but if I'm gonna pay $8,500 for labor and then the price of the cut on top of that...I might as well just import a Surf. I'm only looking to drop a maximum of $3,500 which is half of what I paid for the truck in good running condition. Jarco hasn't answered me yet, so maybe they can help me.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM

KZN-185s are a surefire way to get a 1KZ that doesn't have the head cracking/warping issues of early 1KZs that apparently carried over from the 2LTs.

Research on this forum:
http://toyotadiesel.com/
Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM

Yeah, I'm on toyotadiesel as well. There's a guy on there trying to help me with some other parts. The issue with the KZN185 is that they started producing gasoline powered engines in Japan for that model, plus it's a different style chassis so it might not fit right without modifying some of the framing/mounting work. I'm interested in having that extra turbo option, because let's face it...we all want a little more power in there.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by A2B in a TLC
In Canada, we can import the JDM Land Cruisers, etc for street licensing after 15 years. In the USA, you must wait 25 yrs.

Consequently, in Vancouver you see a JDM every few minutes on the freeway.

Don't by a Surf with the 2LT motor (2.4 ltr). Prone to head and head gasket failure.

It may be easy to import the diesel engine/tranny combo for installation. The motors usually have well under 100K km on them. In 2005, I bought a 1988 BJ74 with 80,000 km on it. The vehicle looked new. 13BT turbo diesel. Since sold.

Bruce in Tsawwassen
Yeah, I've heard that about the 2L diesels. That's why I want that 3.0L Turbo. Canada huh? Hmm...do you have to pass safety and emissions standards on those JDM imports up there? If so, the U.S. standards might be close enough to buy in Canada, drive it down, then register it in the states. You know anywhere I could get some JDM TLC parts? I know someone who's in the market for some parts.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 AM

JDM TLC parts: G&S Cruiser Parts in Abbotsford, BC. Greg and Sheldon are very knowledgeable and great to deal with.

http://www.gscruiserparts.com/

HTH

Bruce in Tsawwassen
Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 AM

how difficult is it to buy a rig in Canada and register it in the US ? does it differ from state to state or is it a federal issue ?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jynx
how difficult is it to buy a rig in Canada and register it in the US ? does it differ from state to state or is it a federal issue ?
Most of the regulations I know of in the U.S. are federal, and then you have to deal with the state's DMV office too. The U.S. Dept. of Transportation wants proof that the vehicle is upto the U.S. safety standards for the year it was manufactured. The EPA wants proof of the emissions, etc. These costs are the reason importing a vehicle from Japan can get extremely expensive. Which is why I'm wondering if Canada shares similar standards on imported vehicles. If they do it might be cheaper to buy a one way ticket and drive back down.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM

Due to Federal regulations, you cannot legally register any of those vehicles until they are 25 years old or older. If it doesn't have a US emissions sticker on the engine and if it doesn't comply with DOT regs then forget about it. Having it registered in Canada doesn't mean anything without it being either 100% US compliant and certified and/or 25 years old.

I'm currently living in England and have looked at every possibility of shipping something back (like a diesel Toyota or Land Rover). There is just no way unless you call it a tractor (and even then it's quite risky) and then there is no possibility of ever registering it.

I know that people are bringing clips in and transferring the motors over but even that is against Federal regulations. I'm sure you can get away with it in many states but if you get caught the penalties are not pretty.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM

There's one guy on here that does have a Hilux Surf legally in the U.S., but I think it's because Toyota's closed the differences on the foreign model. He's got a 4th of 5th generation, and those are basically the same with the exception of it being a right hand sided vehicle. You have to be able to prove it's within safety regulations, and because they do crash testing on the newer stuff that's a little easier. I forgot the guy's handle, but I know he's from Texas. So maybe ask that guy how he did it.

Quick Reply: import a killer turbo diesel 4rnr from japan!