Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'll ask it again...2wd offroad??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HBoss --- sorry about the misunderstanding, it was late I must have read it wrong.

I do plan on a multimount winch, using a 2" (I guess?) reciever front and rear.
I would really like to have 33s, can I do that somehow? Maybe I can find a way to get a 4wd trans and case in there. The low gear would help...maybe 5.29s with the 33s would help as well.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Trying winching a 2WD while off-roading in the desert. Not gonna happen.

There is no way a 2WD with locker and winch can hang with my unlocked 4WD in the desert.

Gearing and lack of places to hook the winch too would leave a 2WD stranded here in AZ. I dont know about other places, but it seems to me the 4WD Liberty would take you.

Not flaming, just being realistic.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is he in the desert? He can always use a pull pal or bury his spare in the dirt and use that as an anchor.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

I say that 2wd LOCKED and with a winch (just in case) will go anywhere a 4wd with open diffs can go.
I was responding mainly to that statement.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, I see.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

I dont know much about winches anyway. For all I know you could attach the line to a Saguaro cactus, but that wouldnt be recommended.

Old 04-22-2003, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could winch a 2wd golf cart to the top of any trail in the United States, does that mean that it's a better set-up than the 4wd that I chose to not winch all over?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
I could winch a 2wd golf cart to the top of any trail in the United States, does that mean that it's a better set-up than the 4wd that I chose to not winch all over?

It's not about whether it's as good or better, the thing for me, is whether I can do what I want with the truck I have. Not the truck I could have had, not the truck I should have had, but the one I DO have. I have a 2wd, I am leaving it that way. That doesn't mean I'm going to keep in on the street. If it takes a winch to get me certain places, well, I'll still have gone to those places.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:52 PM

I think that liberty will eat you for lunch!
Old 04-22-2003, 02:23 PM

Ever since I disabled the safety switch on my locker that prevented me from using it in any gear other than 4lo, I have mainly been using just my rear locker. The reason being, to show my friend who has 2WD that his truck will be plenty capable if he adds a locker. He is on the fence about buying one saying that he doesn't know if it will make that much difference. My last 2 trips were done 90% in 2WD with the rear locked. The times I did put it in 4WD were because of an uphill obstacle that I didn't feel like getting stopped by and have to make another run at it.
Also worth noting is that my truck is on OEM style tires from Dunlop, Gran Treks I think, totally road tires. Just aired down a bit.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RobT2k
My last 2 trips were done 90% in 2WD with the rear locked.
I cant help but ask, are you stuck in your avitar pic?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I cant help but ask, are you stuck in your avitar pic?
Wooo.. you never read the story about Rob almost losing his 4Runner down the side of a mountain. He's being held on to the side of the mountain by a recovery strap in the rear AND the front when that pic was taken, I believe.

I tried searching for the post for ya, but couldn't find it. It's a heck of a story, I'm sure someone else will find it for you.

Al
Old 04-22-2003, 10:14 PM

Okay here we go, new list of stuff I need to work out...it's not very specific yet but I'm working on it:

hitch recievers f&r

2 'D' tow strap hook things, one front, one rear as well as a hitch-reciever tow strap 'd' thingy

2 2"x25ft tow straps

warn 8k/9klb winch w/ that plastic winch line stuff (it took a few pics of winch-line inflicted damage but now I'm sold hehe)

lock-rite or similar locker

inland (yeah I'll give it a shot hehe) 6/7" suspension lift

33x12.5x15 dueler m/t

4wd trans & transfercase

u-bolt moved to top of axle w/ 4wd springs (possibly lift springs)

5.29 gears

engine rebuild, possibly headers, cam and weber 32/36 carb

I need my cable modem back, doing all this research & shopping is such a pain in the butt with 56k. Why are vendor's websites always so graphics intense that it takes 5 minutes for each page to load????? grrrrrrrr
Old 04-22-2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by RobT2k
Ever since I disabled the safety switch on my locker that prevented me from using it in any gear other than 4lo, I have mainly been using just my rear locker. The reason being, to show my friend who has 2WD that his truck will be plenty capable if he adds a locker. He is on the fence about buying one saying that he doesn't know if it will make that much difference. My last 2 trips were done 90% in 2WD with the rear locked. The times I did put it in 4WD were because of an uphill obstacle that I didn't feel like getting stopped by and have to make another run at it.
Also worth noting is that my truck is on OEM style tires from Dunlop, Gran Treks I think, totally road tires. Just aired down a bit.
Wow that is great news. I am on the fence myself as to wether I should add a locker or not. Now it looks like I should. I most want to do trails, nothing too big. Do you think an LSD, truetrac namely, would be able to do the things u were speaking of?

Last edited by Nolan; 04-22-2003 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:51 AM

I think you will be better off getting the Downey HD springs - close to 2" of lift. Crank on the t-bars (2wd have those too right?)and get one of Roger's 1 inch body lifts and then you can fit those 33's. You may need a small amount of fender trimming. 5.29 is a good gear for those tires. You'll run more RPM's on the highway but be in a better RPM when wheeling.

You probably shouldn't air your front tires down much - you want to float over obstacles not try to crawl over them like a 4x4 does. With good 33's and a locker you'll get to places stock 4x4's can't.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:44 AM

I wish I could crank t-bars and lift 2", but my 2wd is LOW. It's on I 195/75/14s right now...I don't think I can fit a tire like 8" taller with only 2 inches of lift...

I guess I will add to my list:

4wd front quarters and 4wd bed (rust free!!)

PS...with 12.5" wide tires, I need a 15x10" rim ideally, correct? are there any 15x9's I could use instead? Also, I am looking at a brake upgrade. I would prefer to upgrade to later stock brakes, maybe off a 2nd gen (no abs) with the alloy 15" stockers. I could also upgrade the rear drums to later stockers as well. Might as well go all the way at this point.

Last edited by Los Gatos?; 04-23-2003 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by Victor
I think you will be better off getting the Downey HD springs - close to 2" of lift. Crank on the t-bars (2wd have those too right?)and get one of Roger's 1 inch body lifts and then you can fit those 33's. You may need a small amount of fender trimming. 5.29 is a good gear for those tires. You'll run more RPM's on the highway but be in a better RPM when wheeling.

You probably shouldn't air your front tires down much - you want to float over obstacles not try to crawl over them like a 4x4 does. With good 33's and a locker you'll get to places stock 4x4's can't.
You're forgetting that 2wd trucks sit MUCH lower than 4wd trucks.
Here's a pic of my 86 extracab longbed with a 3.5" lift kit, Roger Brown's 1" body lift, and 27" tires (allpro 5" springs in back):

It sits about the same height as a stock 4wd does.
To fit 33's, the 6-7" lift kit and probably a 1-2" body lift is needed as well as (minimum) 4wd fenders. The 2wd fenders are narrower than the 4wd version and make for lots of rubbing with larger tires.
Todd
Old 04-23-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Todd E
You're forgetting that 2wd trucks sit MUCH lower than 4wd trucks.
Here's a pic of my 86 extracab longbed with a 3.5" lift kit, Roger Brown's 1" body lift, and 27" tires (allpro 5" springs in back):

It sits about the same height as a stock 4wd does.
To fit 33's, the 6-7" lift kit and probably a 1-2" body lift is needed as well as (minimum) 4wd fenders. The 2wd fenders are narrower than the 4wd version and make for lots of rubbing with larger tires.
Todd
He has a 4Runner.

Oops... I just realized he's talking about his '85. my bad.

Last edited by Churnd; 04-23-2003 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:19 AM

I thought 2wd 4Runners had torsion bars also. You may need a taller body lift and something to get the front suspension level with the rear. The rear is the same so you can swap in any good 4wd coil spring and get lift. I have my old stock 4WD coils if you want to make a deal. You'd still need spring spacers on top for more lift so you are probably better off with a set of lift springs.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:57 AM

Im not a fan of jeep. I would NEVER buy one. But i sure wouldnt bet money on your 2wd getting more places than a liberty. We have always used winches as recovery equipment. SO.. If your rig doesnt make it up a slope and you have to pull out the winch. You have lost the bet. A winch will pull you up a tree so you cant really count it as making your rig a better 4 wheeler.
And to compete with a 4wd vehicle your gonna have to rat bag your truck where as the 4wd can casually crawl around.
I think you will have alot of fun with your 2wd and i agree with you. You have a 2wd and thats what you have to work with . But dont bet on your 2wd going more places than a 4wd because if the guy knows how to drive he will eat you for breakfast.

Quick Reply: I'll ask it again...2wd offroad??