Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tread Lightly
Old 02-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Contributing Member

As of 8 years ago the U.S. produced 10% of the world's resources and consumed 50% of it. I don't know how much that has changed in the last few years but when it comes down to it wrenchmaster is correct - it's down to the per capita not the country as a whole. Of course China is going to produce more waste... did you know that if you had the entire Chinese population line up single file to walk by you the line would never end?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

I can go on and on about it because this is one of the things that really interests me.
It may not matter to you, but it may matter to your kids and their kids and so on. We are killing off everything on this planet. Be it the endangered animals all over the world or the practice of genocide in parts of the world. We are killing ourselves and we have nothing to blame but ourselves.
It may be like the one person we may know who dumps oil down the sewer and so on. It's the "it won't bother me" attitude that is killing us off.
Maybe mother nature is sending us warning signs of what is to come. NOTICE the storms are ever increasing in power? What about the tsunami? Maybe she is trying to cleanse herself of all the wrong in this world. Call me an eco-freak if you may (I drive a S/C'd 4Runner) But I think it is the duty of all of us to protect what supports us.
I can go on and on, but I will probably make a lot of enemies if I do so.
You but the oil to make you vehicle perform properly? The least you can do is recycle it.
If you burn fuel like a maniac... You can do you part to help make free energy.
Be it solar, be it from the wind or water. We can all do our part to ensure our future on the planet that has given us life.
Captain Planet signing off.

EDIT: I must admit I didn't read all the posts, but I see it has something to do with pollution. I am sorry for thinking of the future where my kids have to grow up.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-06-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I am sorry for thinking of the future where my kids have to grow up.
Don't be sorry. That's why I take the position I do. My kids have to live with the choices we make. That's why I think it is best to TRY to inform the hopeless.

I mean, c'mon. It's all related to the chain of life. Having no cat means your rig releases more noxious crap into the environment, clouds form, rain comes down laiden with the noxious crap, you drink the water, eat the food that the water helps grow, etc, etc. Some people just can't wrap their minds around the big picture.

Yep, someone has either seen too much TV or read one too many conspiracy theory books. Time to take your foil hat off, come out of your foil lined room and face reality.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Try to be part of the solution, not the problem.
A catch 22 there.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

its unfortunate that the argument of 'look at someone else, they do things much worse than we do' has even been brought up. that sounds like something that little kids do when they are caught out doing something they know they shouldnt be doing. lets face facts and reality here, we are all adults or are supposed to be, most of us are or have raised families and we have tried to instill morals and values while doing this. our time here is finite, lets put the 'tread lightly' principles that we apply to our off roading to our everyday lives. or to use an old axiom modified, treat the world like you would like to be treated. 'nuff said.

lee
Old 02-06-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Don't be sorry. That's why I take the position I do. My kids have to live with the choices we make. That's why I think it is best to TRY to inform the hopeless.

I mean, c'mon. It's all related to the chain of life. Having no cat means your rig releases more noxious crap into the environment, clouds form, rain comes down laiden with the noxious crap, you drink the water, eat the food that the water helps grow, etc, etc. Some people just can't wrap their minds around the big picture.

Yep, someone has either seen too much TV or read one too many conspiracy theory books. Time to take your foil hat off, come out of your foil lined room and face reality.
I actually am not a conspiracy theorist, nice job trying to nail me to a point. Unfortunetly the damage has already been done. The baby boomers did much more damage than we are doing right now.

I passed emissions with my 3000GT and no cat. I passed EASILY. The cat doesn't do much these days anyways.

I'm not advocating that everyone take off their cats and ÅÅÅÅ up the air quality, I'm saying make your own choice, don't listen to the enviromental hippies who hump a dolphin and save a whale.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by leebee
its unfortunate that the argument of 'look at someone else, they do things much worse than we do' has even been brought up. that sounds like something that little kids do when they are caught out doing something they know they shouldnt be doing. lets face facts and reality here, we are all adults or are supposed to be, most of us are or have raised families and we have tried to instill morals and values while doing this. our time here is finite, lets put the 'tread lightly' principles that we apply to our off roading to our everyday lives. or to use an old axiom modified, treat the world like you would like to be treated. 'nuff said.

lee
I treat the world better than 90% of the population. I dispose of oil properly, recycle, and conserve water, pack out trash, have NEVER littered, ect.

Let's be realistic for a moment, shall we? For every one person who cares about the enviroment there are 200 who don't care. Walk down the street, see all those wrappers, newspapers, and bottles? What about the used cigarettes? Unless someone with a huge bank account or lots of pull in the world says polluting is bad, you won't ever make those who don't care,....care.

You enviromentalists are fighting a losing battle. I love the world, the clean air, and we are making steps toward cleaning up, but the damage has already been done.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

lead by example, get involved with your community programs to clean up local areas that have been neglected. by all means, get the media involved. challenge another neighbourhood, community, state/province etc. talk with your local home depot store manager, i know for a fact they are a very community involved enterprise. you cant get someone with a much bigger bank account or pull than home depot. no one said it was going to be easy, if it was, anyone could do it.

just an fyi, the home depot store located in waterloo, ontario was the pioneering store for the company wide recycling program they have. it is sop (standard operating procedure), in all stores. the man that designed, promoted and succeeded in getting this program instituted eventually moved on to habitat for humanity. unfortunately, he was killed in an automobile accident last summer. i dont think he had any idea of how the legacy he created would become such an important part of our lives. dont wait for someone else to do it first, be the pioneer, set the example.

lee
Old 02-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by hockeytown9
Yes daddy...

Dude, i didn't ask for your environmental thoughts, I asked about a good cat. That would be because i want one. If I said I want to punch out my cat, then go Gondi on me. If I say I want to install a new cat, then suggest a company. Everyone is getting on me about why a punched cat is bad...no ˟˟˟˟˟. That is why I want to replace it!! I never had to test in Denver while I was up there...wierd.
Ok don't get your panties in a bind noob. I was clarifying your misinformation on Colorado smog laws for everyone else so they don't get the impression that they can move to CO and cut out their cat. I have had to test for the 20+ years living here.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
Ok don't get your panties in a bind noob. I was clarifying your misinformation on Colorado smog laws for everyone else so they don't get the impression that they can move to CO and cut out their cat. I have had to test for the 20+ years living here.
If you say so dude...I have NEVER had to smog test, nor has anyone I know in Colorado. Yes I have lived in different towns too. If you want to clarify info fine, don't do it condisendingly, like you have just done...twice. Besides it wasn't misinformation. I live in Colorado, and there is no statewide smog test. Period. If you were a little more respectful, and didn't try and talk down to me I wouldn't get my 'panties in a bind' geezer.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyfatty182
I treat the world better than 90% of the population. I dispose of oil properly, recycle, and conserve water, pack out trash, have NEVER littered, ect.

Let's be realistic for a moment, shall we? For every one person who cares about the enviroment there are 200 who don't care. Walk down the street, see all those wrappers, newspapers, and bottles? What about the used cigarettes? Unless someone with a huge bank account or lots of pull in the world says polluting is bad, you won't ever make those who don't care,....care.

You enviromentalists are fighting a losing battle. I love the world, the clean air, and we are making steps toward cleaning up, but the damage has already been done.

You show your ignorance again. It is in actuality only AMERICANS that do that. Go to England, France, Belguim, Germany, you name it, any modern European country and you will see NO littering. There is a reason we are called 'ugly americans' - as a people we litter like none other. We are dubbed 'ugly' because we litter in their country...

Cats dont do much? LoL They are only THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF EMISSIONS CONTROL.

Why?

1. Ever hear of Carbon Monoxide? One breath of that will KILL you on the spot. CO is generated from an incomplete combustion. Why will it kill you? It binds 100x more tightly to the hemoglobin in your blood than oxygen will. And when it does bind it is a permanent bond, so all the O2 in the world ain't going to help you.

2. Then there are the volotile organic compounds (basically unburned fuel) with the action of UV rays, generate ground level ozone (O3) which is the major contributor to smog.

3. They (unburned fuel) also generate nitrogen oxides (NO and NO2) which is what contributes to acid rain and severely irritates mucus membranes.

How does a cat help?

It converts the NO and NO2 into Nitrogen (of which our atmosphere is 73% of) and into Oxygen

It converts carbon monoxide (stuff that will kill you) into carbon dioxide (what you breathe out).
Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 PM

whats up, I live in durango too. who are you? I got the blue runner with the air foil thing above the windshild. I'm going to durango muff. to get a cat back next week. they said they were going to put on a catco free flow cat. call and ask for tony. lady f's got some good brew on tap.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runner89
whats up, I live in durango too. who are you? I got the blue runner with the air foil thing above the windshild. I'm going to durango muff. to get a cat back next week. they said they were going to put on a catco free flow cat. call and ask for tony. lady f's got some good brew on tap.
Cool, let me know how much they charge, might be a good idea. Do you have a brick at lady f's?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
You show your ignorance again. It is in actuality only AMERICANS that do that. Go to England, France, Belguim, Germany, you name it, any modern European country and you will see NO littering. There is a reason we are called 'ugly americans' - as a people we litter like none other. We are dubbed 'ugly' because we litter in their country...

Cats dont do much? LoL They are only THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF EMISSIONS CONTROL.

Why?

1. Ever hear of Carbon Monoxide? One breath of that will KILL you on the spot. CO is generated from an incomplete combustion. Why will it kill you? It binds 100x more tightly to the hemoglobin in your blood than oxygen will. And when it does bind it is a permanent bond, so all the O2 in the world ain't going to help you.

2. Then there are the volotile organic compounds (basically unburned fuel) with the action of UV rays, generate ground level ozone (O3) which is the major contributor to smog.

3. They (unburned fuel) also generate nitrogen oxides (NO and NO2) which is what contributes to acid rain and severely irritates mucus membranes.

How does a cat help?

It converts the NO and NO2 into Nitrogen (of which our atmosphere is 73% of) and into Oxygen

It converts carbon monoxide (stuff that will kill you) into carbon dioxide (what you breathe out).

You obviously haven't been outside the country. People deficate and urinate into the canals in Venice. Perhaps you only see the tourist areas of other countries, but let me assure you, they live worse, if not worse, than the dirtiest trailer park in America.

Also, let me be the first to assure you, running no cat and smelling your exhaust isn't OMG POISON DIE LOL. I smelled my 3000's exhaust close up and never got dizzy, or even lightheaded. Granted smelling exhaust wasn't a good idea, but meh.

And you don't think that anything else contributes to the smog problem? HOW ABOUT COMMERCIAL VEHICLES ASSHAT? You see that plume of black smoke coming every stoplight from a Bus/Truck/ect.? I have no exact figures, but I'd be willing to bet that smoke right there is 10x what a normal car would emit during a day.

Going back to China :
Originally Posted by CBS News
If China's air pollution seems like a problem just for that country, think again. The stuff spewing out in China has now been detected in the United States, and some suspect it's beginning to affect the U.S. climate.
How about India?:
Originally Posted by http://www.eia.doe.gov
India has more than 20 cities with populations of at least 1 million, and some of them--including New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkata--are among the world's most polluted. Urban air quality ranks among the world's worst.
And for a change, South africa?
Originally Posted by http://www.eia.doe.gov
The refineries, and vehicle travel, located in the northern suburbs of Cape Town and in the southeastern coastal city of Durban, emit high levels of sulfur dioxide and several other chemicals known to cause health problems. According to UNICEF, in 2000, respiratory infections from air pollution were the fourth-largest cause of death in children under five in South Africa (more than 6,000 deaths per year)
Clearly, you are the ignorant one. It isn't just 'ugly americans' littering in our own sandbox and others, they litter enough for themselves.

Last edited by mattyfatty182; 02-07-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by hockeytown9
If you say so dude...I have NEVER had to smog test, nor has anyone I know in Colorado. Yes I have lived in different towns too. If you want to clarify info fine, don't do it condisendingly, like you have just done...twice. Besides it wasn't misinformation. I live in Colorado, and there is no statewide smog test. Period. If you were a little more respectful, and didn't try and talk down to me I wouldn't get my 'panties in a bind' geezer.
Your replies were condisending twice now DUDE.. as far as the geezer remark..your a few years younger than I. As for the "dude" I have not said that word since I was 16.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyfatty182
You obviously haven't been outside the country. People deficate and urinate into the canals in Venice. Perhaps you only see the tourist areas of other countries, but let me assure you, they live worse, if not worse, than the dirtiest trailer park in America.

Also, let me be the first to assure you, running no cat and smelling your exhaust isn't OMG POISON DIE LOL. I smelled my 3000's exhaust close up and never got dizzy, or even lightheaded. Granted smelling exhaust wasn't a good idea, but meh.

And you don't think that anything else contributes to the smog problem? HOW ABOUT COMMERCIAL VEHICLES ASSHAT? You see that plume of black smoke coming every stoplight from a Bus/Truck/ect.? I have no exact figures, but I'd be willing to bet that smoke right there is 10x what a normal car would emit during a day.

Going back to China :

How about India?:

And for a change, South africa?

Clearly, you are the ignorant one. It isn't just 'ugly americans' littering in our own sandbox and others, they litter enough for themselves.

First off ASSHAT, your arguement is fundamentally flawed. Following your arguement, Ted bundy and hundereds of other serial killers, killed for many years, therefore I should not be held accountable if I do the same. Grow up.

And yes I have been over to England, eveywhere I went was spotless and I was in quite a few of the less than desirable places to be....

Again you show your ignorance - how about trying to rebutt the CORE of my arguement and not the peripheral bull˟˟˟˟. Cats are of fundamental importance to emmisions and anyone who believes differently does not want their OPINION influenced by the FACTS.

Grow up and take responsibility instead of thinking about ME ME ME ME ME ME. You remind me of a 5 year old.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
Your replies were condisending twice now DUDE.. as far as the geezer remark..your a few years younger than I. As for the "dude" I have not said that word since I was 16.

16!! I didn't think they had a spoken dialect then!! I just thought they used grunts and cave drawings to communicate where the best Mammoth hunting was.

j/k dude.

Smokum' Peace Pipe homey We're all here for the same love of Toys.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
First off ASSHAT, your arguement is fundamentally flawed. Following your arguement, Ted bundy and hundereds of other serial killers, killed for many years, therefore I should not be held accountable if I do the same. Grow up.

And yes I have been over to England, eveywhere I went was spotless and I was in quite a few of the less than desirable places to be....

Again you show your ignorance - how about trying to rebutt the CORE of my arguement and not the peripheral bull˟˟˟˟. Cats are of fundamental importance to emmisions and anyone who believes differently does not want their OPINION influenced by the FACTS.

Grow up and take responsibility instead of thinking about ME ME ME ME ME ME. You remind me of a 5 year old.

K.

Here's the core of my argument.
Yes, taking off your cat will release more noxious gasses.
No, you aren't going to be the cause of acid rain or ozone depletion. Do whichever you choose.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 AM

Alright Hockey, getting back to the point.

What did you decide to do. Replace w/hi-flo cat? Which one did you decide to go with?

Quick Reply: High Flow Cat questions