95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fabtech Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fabtech Lift?

Yes, more questions!

I went over to Offroad Warehouse and they offered a couple setups for the front end mosdtly and AALs as an afterthought when I asked about it. The guy said the best they had was DR(?) coilover setup for 950. Sounds pretty steep and that's without install.

Went across the street basically to 4wheelparts and talking to someone there produced a solution of a Fabtech 3" lift all around using Fox Racing shocks for 1500 installed. Still sounds pricey but I'm willing to go that route if I hear antyhing decent about Fabtech.

My only real gripe with all this is that everytime I ask about the front-end max lift I get a different answer. Toyota says 2", ORW says 2.5" and 4wheelparts says you can do a full 3" but after I said this would be pulling double duty as a daily driver he said 2.75". Board members are ranging in the sae zon, 2-3 as well. It all seems opinion based. I want to be able to drive on and offroad safely and not blow the CVs out because it was pushed to its limits due to the lift.

Is 3" really possible without dropping the differential? For that matter is 2.75? I suppose there is no hard and fast rule for this. I'm guessing it's just how much risk you want to put up with and how often you want to get the joints repaired when they bust.

If you guys give decent reviews for the Fabtech lift I'd probably go that route. The guys at the shop were super nice and took the time to gab with me even though they were super busy.

I'll probably hold off until I have the money saved up for new wheels and tires to throw on there at the same time.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:27 PM

I have the Fabtech basic kit($500) on my 03 & have had no problems lifted at 2.5" for 3000 miles now.I check my cv boots every weekend just to make sure they are ok.I also do not beat my truck off-road or wheel very hard.Something to consider,so this kit may not be for you.It does seem to work fine for the mild off-roader.A Fabtech performance kit installed for $1500 really is a little steep considering the kit I think is around $900 so that means they are boning you for $600 on the install.Those kits are easier then the basic kit as you don't need a spring compresser.I don't know your skill level but those kits are very easy to install with basic tools & a friend to help.
"DR" I believe is Donahue Racing very exspensive$$$ stuff.

Last edited by 92 Toyota; 10-24-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the reply 92 Toyota! I appreciate any input even though this stuff gets posted hourly by all kinds of people.

I have no skill level and have never really done any vehicle maintenance myself, I'm a take it to the dealer person since it's under warranty.

I have a couple friends who could help me but I don't think they have experience with offroad stuff but it's basically shock replacement and leaf replacement/add-on so it shouldn't be too hard for them.

I just get paranoid because they're father and son and instruction sheets sometimes get tossed aside and the monkey antics start happening. Poking and prodding things and seeing how they think it fits instead of looking at directions!

If a beginner wth the right tools and the weekend can do it then I suppose I can turn some wrench and make it happen. The instructions would have to leave no room for questioning though. I'd hate to screw up a $900 setup.

When you say you check the CV boots you're just looking for tears in the covering or something? See...I don't know what they reallya re just regurgitating what I'm told.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:53 AM

look at "Perfect solution" tread

I meant to post a reply, but accidentlt started a new thread check out "perfection solution". Basically I'm selling lift wheels and tires for your truck and I can install it too. I live somewhat near by call my cell at (949) 394-7748 or email at koyota93@yahoo.com
Old 10-25-2003, 04:21 AM

Darx,
The Performance kit from Fabtech should come fully assembled & the install would as easy just put jack stands under the frame,unbolt strut at the bottom(1bolt)& 3bolts on the top,take out whole strut-spring assembly.Put in new spring -strut assem.,adjust to 2.5" or less.That's it.I had never installed a lift before I had done mine and it was easy & I used the basic kit which is a little harder to install.Don't under estimate yourself it's not really hard.I found that the instructions Fabtech provided were good.At least buy the kit & when you get it see how easy it looks & decide then if you want to try the install yourself.If you want check out my install pics here.
www.msnusers.com/yotatech
click pictures then lift install,we also did my friends 95.5

Last edited by 92 Toyota; 10-25-2003 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

get the saws for $650 from group buy mike. thats a rip for the fagtech stuff!