Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust set up

Here is my plan, I am going to run a vortex cherry bomb muffler that I just got in from Jason Burtman. My question is if I split the pipe after the muffler to make a dual setup will this give me enough back pressure?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Most of the backpressure happens at and behind the muffler. Mostly the cat. IMO, it shouldn't be a problem. But if you wanna make sure, mount the muffler as far forward as possible. The downside to that is that you'll have more resonation in the cab.

Are you planning to run 2.25" to the muffler and then 2in after or what? If so, you'll be fine no matter what, but I'd put larger tips on there as 2" tips are tiny...cosmetically.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Yeah, I guess I will go with 2"-2.25" piping and definalty some larger tips. Also the muffler I ordered is a single outlet one, so I assume it's no problem for the muffler shop to put some sort of splitter after the muffler, right?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:28 PM

possibly

This has been a debate in every muffeler setup that I have ever read, anywhere. I have heard a lot of good debates that argue that duals are barely necessary, even for the high performance v8 engines. In this aspect, I went with a 2.5" single setup on my 3.0 and probably would have done well with a 2.25".
Backpressure is such a sensitive subject, so here is my reasoning for my setup...

The vehicle came stock with an approximate 1.75" tubing. I felt that it would be safe to improve the "breathing" by .75". If I dualed, it would be atleast two 1.75" pipes, which almost doubles the size (provided it's not two completely separate pipes). Theoretically, the dualled setup would decrease backpressure by half. Half seems like a large amount, provided the manufacturer felt that the stock backpressure was sufficient. In addition, a single probably allows the engine to "breathe" without sacraficing the low-end torque that is paramount in truck functionality.

In any event, if you like the way duals sound and that is your key objective, go for it. If it's functionality with a nice rumble, go with a moderate single. I only hope that someone can explain and expound upon this in a more eloquent form.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 AM

I had my heart set on a custom dual exhaust setup too. After talking with the tech at a local Exhaust Pros, they discouraged me from running duals. If you go duals and run too big of a pipe (2.5" or larger), you'll lose a lot of low end torque. According to him, it's really not about back pressure, but air flow. Larger pipes make the air slow down, expand and cool, which is the last thing you want. Imports are especially sensitive to air flow differences.

With that said, it is possible to split the pipe after the muffler and make duals. It'll be tricky to route the exhaust on the new side, but it's do-able. With the 3.4V6, use no larger than 2" pipe and 3" tips. That will allow you to somewhat maintain air velocity and hotter temps. Even with that setup, you may lose some low end.

After all that advice from him, I finally just ordered a Jardine/Doug Thorley catback system. It's a single exhaust, but will increase power and will sound good. If you're interested, call Jardine and talk to Nick. His number is (951)739-5900. They have GREAT factory direct prices too.

IMO, scrap the dual idea due to the risk of losing power. Since you already have the muffler, stay with a single exit and you'll probably be happier in the end. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 AM

I have a dual set-up on my Runner... I have The OEM Cat, going into 14" dual-outlet Magnaflow, into 2.25" Pipes, with 3" tips (I didn't loose any low end with this set-up) If you want duals put the "Y" after the GlassPack but run no bigger then 2.25" pipes

The guy at the Muffler shop said they don't even go bigger then 2.25" Pipe for V8's on dual exhaust.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:50 AM

In the past I have had many exhausts on... The first incorperated the stock exhaust with a flowmaster 50 series muffler with little to no noticable performance increase.

I then stepped it up to custom crushbent 2" aluminized piping from the second cat (cali emissions) back with the same flowmaster split over the axle into duals showing a small decrease in top end and no noticable change in bottom end.

After that i switched over to 2.5" aluminized crushbent from the second cat back with a straight through style Dynomax Ultraflow with a splitter once again over the rear axle and felt my top end not only come back but seemed even better than before.

From here i started doing my own welding and aquired some stainless T304 pipe and bends and welded up a 2.5" mandrel bent setup with a pipe shoved through the cat that exited in front of the rear passenger side tire (side exhaust). This showed amazing signs of life up top and 22 miles per gallon on the highway with slight power loss down low.

With the dynomax not sounding right for me, i switched over to a magnaflow stainless 18" long 4" body muffler and saw no difference, just got extremely loud.

My current setup utilizes this same magnaflow muffler but is run over the axle as 2.5" mandrel bent pipe exiting almost exactly where the stock pip was. This setup yields to me the best power in all catagories as well as good sound (if you like it loud) I am switching to a straight through style magnaflow oval body (24") in a week or so to quiet it down and keep my flow high.

Recommendations:
Supercharged - w/ or w/o headers... I would do 2.5" all the way back (mandrel bent if possible) with a straight through style (NOT chambered) muffler.

Non-Supercharged... 2.25" mandrel bent if possible. Muffler choice isnt extremely vital.

DUAL OUTLET DOES NOT DO ANYTHING BUT MAKE IT LOOK DIFFERENT!

Last edited by TRDatVT; 01-17-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:38 AM

Well, thanks for all the opinions! I think I am going to go with custom dual exhaust with a dual outlet vortex muffler instead of using my muffler I just bought that has one outlet, because apparents it will be cheaper to use the shops mufflers. They said $200 installed using there dual outlet cherry bomb and $175 using mine.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Well, I got my dual setup today! I am very impressed. It sounds very deep and throaty. The muffler they actually used was a vortex glass pack. So I have a vortex cherry bomb available if someone would like to buy it from me.
Ill post some pics of the dual tips soon.

Thanks everyone
Old 01-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

In my opinion your going to lose power if your not supercharged remember trdvat's truck is boosted your most likely not.

I stick with a magnaflow 14"/18" with no tailpipe just a turn down at the outlet for optimal performance and mean sound.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:10 PM

well, I very may have lost power, but I can't feel it and it sounds badass! The tips look pretty darn good!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Pics?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:26 PM

Ill get them by saturday
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Awesome, I cant wait.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:39 AM

Well here are some pics. So far I love this exhuast setup. I get endless compliments from people about how it sounds. If you are looking for a throaty, deep, V8 sound then this is your best bet.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Wow.... that is nuts.

I wish I would have done that VS the TRD setup.... but the price was too good.....

You have any under shots?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:33 PM

O yea this reminds me, the price for everything which includes vortex muffler, exhaust tips and installation was $205.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:53 PM

I was wondering about that burtman vortex muffler. does anyone have it , how is it and how loud is it inside the car .
Old 01-24-2007, 02:48 PM

The best exhaust man in the world is right here in Bay Springs,MS.He built a crossover and Y'd in to the relocated cat(moved forward)new 2.25 to the flow master then Y'd again for the duals over the chunk.Chrome bologna sliced tips and all for $80!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Well, lets just say if you want something you can't here inside the cab then don't get a dual vortex. I am not sure how much of the loudness has to do with it being dual vs. the muffler itself. But any who, I am very satisfied with what i got, It is not to loud for me.

Quick Reply: Exhaust set up