Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Electric Fan with Variable Speed Controller Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, now I know when the gauge climbs past the middle, starting at 230F. And at 245F it is three quarters way up and keeps climbing. Seems the gauge climbs with temperature and time as well. Staying at a constant high temp will make the gauge climb higher with time.

The 2” 4Crawler body lift definitely altered the cooling! Radiator needs the drop. It got that hot with only 90F outside, sunny, and crawling traffic.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 PM

FANS 101???
Sorry guys, but I'm curious what the aftermarket fans on the 3.4's benefit. If temp is never an issue with my driving, is a fan replacement something for me to consider?
thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it frees up a few horsepower - those few horses are much appreciated w/ huge tires.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 AM

Yea, mostly just the free horse power. Also, when I do this I'm going to put some sort of cut off switch so I can turn the fan off if I ever go through water that is that deep, so i don't bend the blades.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:41 PM

Thanks for posting your installation...

I am considering some simple mods to my 2000 SR5 4x4 and I was considering the Flex-A-Lite electric fan but with a different controller. It seems as though you have given me the controller that I want to use.

I have a question though...

Does anyone out there know if the flex-a-lite fan would work with a variable speed controller?

I am not so much concerned with retaining the stock housing with my fan, in fact I have considered fabricating my own shroud (I have fiberglass experience from composite airplane building).

One other question...

Is anyone aware of a temp sensor out there that would be compatable with the FK-35 that does not slide between the fins or require a sensor under the hose?

I am looking for something like what Gadget got his hands on.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Banned

you don't have to use a $200 FAL fan unless you just want to. you could just use one like mine (volvo, taurus, etc) or get a dual setup and wire them in parallel.

you can use any fan w/ the contoller.

if you like what gadget used, then PM or email him...
Old 07-01-2005, 03:24 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by dragr1
Yes it is, dang we need a 3 day weekend, install on Friday, drink beer on Friday night, and wheel on Saturday!

Which year Tauras fans work? Part #?
There are some more Volvo fans on eBay

If you ever decide to have a wrench day here in Auburn to install an electric fan and control unit let me know. I would love to install one on my truck also but it's not something that I am tackling by myself. It's not a tool issue, it's a matter of know-how. We could knock out two rather quickly. It would probably go smoothly the second time around.

BTW, I saw APR's trailer rig the other day parked out on Wire Road. That's an impressive rig. They must be doing something right over there.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AUJWE
There are some more Volvo fans on eBay

If you ever decide to have a wrench day here in Auburn to install an electric fan and control unit let me know. I would love to install one on my truck also but it's not something that I am tackling by myself. It's not a tool issue, it's a matter of know-how. We could knock out two rather quickly. It would probably go smoothly the second time around.

BTW, I saw APR's trailer rig the other day parked out on Wire Road. That's an impressive rig. They must be doing something right over there.
I think he was planning on coming to t-town to do several mods at once...but the more the merrier.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I think he was planning on coming to t-town to do several mods at once...but the more the merrier.

Yeah I was but I went riding instead!

I still need to do a lot of stuff, whatcha doing the weekend of July 16-17?

APR's trailer is awesome-dual stacker pulled by a Toter Home-awesome!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Banned

Nothing honey...I get to mod tomorrow ALL DAY! The wife said it was her gift to me at the "start" of my vacation...so now I'm scared to death as to what she really wants me to do.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Nothing honey...I get to mod tomorrow ALL DAY! The wife said it was her gift to me at the "start" of my vacation...so now I'm scared to death as to what she really wants me to do.

Lucky you, Brandy has designated me to plant shrubbery and move some other shruberry around.

Guess I'll have a few choice beverages to make it a little better.

Let's pencil in July 16 as a wrenchathon if that works for you. That'll be just in time for me-I'll be at Tellico the weekend after that! You need to go to, it's the Allpro event at Crawfords.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Banned

Lucky you, Brandy has designated me to plant shrubbery and move some other shruberry around.

Guess I'll have a few choice beverages to make it a little better.

Let's pencil in July 16 as a wrenchathon if that works for you. That'll be just in time for me-I'll be at Tellico the weekend after that! You need to go to, it's the Allpro event at Crawfords.
Okay honey, July 16 it is. Just let me know for sure in enough time to get the permission of the "boss". You found a fan yet and got your controller? What other mods are you planning to do?

Crawford's will be crawling w/ people don't ya think? You going to wheel or just see AP up close? I'd love to go that is for sure. What is the schedule of events?

Old 07-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Banned

Okay honey, July 16 it is. Just let me know for sure in enough time to get the permission of the "boss". You found a fan yet and got your controller? What other mods are you planning to do?

Crawford's will be crawling w/ people don't ya think? You going to wheel or just see AP up close? I'd love to go that is for sure. What is the schedule of events?

Brett:

you'd better get moving if you want one of those variable speed fan controllers. it takes 2-3 weeks to get it after you pay.

Brian:

Schedule of Events:

You spend all day driving your granny-ass up to Crawfords on Friday.

You spend all night sitting in your chair and picking your nose Friday Night.

You spend Saturday morning picking your nose some more.

You spend Saturday riding along w/ someone else cause your rig isn't ready to wheel.

You spend Saturday Night eating your 138oz Steak that you cooked on my Hibachi Grill that you stole from me last trip...

You spend all day Sunday on the road getting your granny-ass back home...

Old 07-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

I'm gonna skip the electric fan for now. What I have is working fine so I've decided to leave it alonje for now-I've got enough power. Main thing I need to do is the bodylift, and change the O2 sensor. Then just a few little things. I need switch back over to the Toyota red coolant (why the hell didn't I study up on that? )-but I may do that before then, maybe.

Wheeling-I plan on it for now. Marc is going inthe '85, if he wants to do some really hard trails with most of the AP guys, then I may try to catch a ride with him.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Brett:

you'd better get moving if you want one of those variable speed fan controllers. it takes 2-3 weeks to get it after you pay.

Brian:

Schedule of Events:

You spend all day driving your granny-ass up to Crawfords on Friday.

You spend all night sitting in your chair and picking your nose Friday Night.

You spend Saturday morning picking your nose some more.

You spend Saturday riding along w/ someone else cause your rig isn't ready to wheel.

You spend Saturday Night eating your 138oz Steak that you cooked on my Hibachi Grill that you stole from me last trip...

You spend all day Sunday on the road getting your granny-ass back home...

Old 07-02-2005, 01:49 PM
AUJWE

Yeah I read that in a post earlier. I was more or less picking with him. I wish I could come for a wrench day, I would like to install a tranny cooler and electric fan. Nothing too serious. I already have a camping trip to Cheaha State Park - Talladega National Forest on that weekend though. Let me know if the work day gets rescheduled for any reeason.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:52 PM
AUJWE

I have been drooling over that rig for the past few days. I told my girlfriend today when we went by it that there is no telling home much cool stuff is in that thing. Definitely a nice set up.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AUJWE
I have been drooling over that rig for the past few days. I told my girlfriend today when we went by it that there is no telling home much cool stuff is in that thing. Definitely a nice set up.
Cool stuff for sure-like a haevily modded S4, A4, and 911 Turbo. Funny thing is that I have used their shop before to do some stuff on my 4Runner-I should have taken a picture.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:23 AM
Banned

wow, that was a little off-topic... :pat:

well, it's been in for just over a month now, and all is fine. the fan and controller are working flawlessly. the engine runs fine w/o any overheating in the dead of summer while sitting still in traffic w/ the AC cranked. the AC stays VERY cold, telling me that the condenser is getting the proper amount of airflow. i'm getting NO indications of electrical drains from the fan, and since it's a soft-start (via the controller), it doesn't drop the voltage when it kicks on.

i do notice a little better throttle response, but the main thing that i've noticed is a MUCH quieter engine. it's nice and smooth and now QUIET w/o the parasitic fan always pulling a ton of air when it was first cranked up.

in all, i'd say that this was a good idea and i'll be keeping it. i also have my mehcanical fan in the garage as a backup if anything ever does happen, but i'm not planning on putting it back on. i still have to run a kill switch for the fan for water crossings, but that will be very easy since it'll be inline w/ the IGN trigger wire on a low-amp draw. the relays are built in to the controller, so no additional relays are needed for the kill switch.

Last edited by bamachem; 07-18-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
wow, that was a little off-topic... :pat:

well, it's been in for just over a month now, and all is fine. the fan and controller are working flawlessly. the engine runs fine w/o any overheating in the dead of summer while sitting still in traffic w/ the AC cranked. the AC stays VERY cold, telling me that the condenser is getting the proper amount of airflow. i'm getting NO indications of electrical drains from the fan, and since it's a soft-start (via the controller), it doesn't drop the voltage when it kicks on.

i do notice a little better throttle response, but the main thing that i've noticed is a MUCH quieter engine. it's nice and smooth and now QUIET w/o the parasitic fan always pulling a ton of air when it was first cranked up.

in all, i'd say that this was a good idea and i'll be keeping it. i also have my mehcanical fan in the garage as a backup if anything ever does happen, but i'm not planning on putting it back on. i still have to run a kill switch for the fan for water crossings, but that will be very easy since it'll be inline w/ the IGN trigger wire on a low-amp draw. the relays are built in to the controller, so no additional relays are needed for the kill switch.

Sorry about that off topic rant.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan with Variable Speed Controller Installed