Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Dual Exhaust

Just picked up my 'Runner from having a Magnaflow 1-in-2-out cat-back system installed. He used 2.25" pipes out and they saddle up nicely beside the tow bar in back.

While the sound isn't quite like a V8, it's no rice-burner either! In fact, I can't really hear the noise from the intake silencer mod very much anymore!

The only problem the guy had was keeping the pipe from hitting the sway bar, and he used a rubber bushing of some sort to keep it from banging. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'm replacing the sway bar as soon as it shows up!

I'll take it back after the Addco's installed and see if it can be modified to give a little more clearance.

Total time to design and fabricate the installation was 4.5 hours. Total cost: $225

I'll follow-up after driving it a few days and after the SC installation.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Pics, man, post some pics!

Glad you are happy with it so far...
Old 11-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Holy cow, I just picked it up!

Actually, I might get out early enough to head home and snap a pic to post.

I haven't figured out what to do about tips yet. Since I'm in the "chrome elimination mode" right now, I really don't want to add shiny chrome tips. However, I'm scouting around for some "black chrome" tips. Maybe some hi-temp black paint will just have to do.

OK, pix ...
Old 11-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool. If you can record it later, that would be great.

I finally got a 3rd gen today with the Magnaflow recorded.
See the exhaust page.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/exhaust.htm

I met up with TS1 down at Central 4WD.
He has the same muffler you just got Tomcat.

I wanted to get a driveby too, but time just got misplaced today.
Also we were next to a very busy street, so there is some background traffic.

We should have gone behind the building away from traffic.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Pics man, let's see some pics!!

Matt
Old 11-26-2002, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

I'll make the cry for pics. even more redundant.

Come on man pics. we want some pics. this mod really intrigues me b/c I am definatly doing exhaust as my next big mod and have tossed the idea of duel around for awhile.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

OK, OK ... I hear you. Sorry I didn't come through with my promised pix last night. The Mother-In-Law arrived, and I was pressed into service from the outset. Any thoughts I'd entertained about taking pix of my truck were immediately dashed by my loving wife.

So, I'll scramble home right after work today (assuming I'm not similarly pressed into service tonight!) and snap a couple of quickies for you guys (those are the only quickies I'm liable to get for awhile anyway ...)

So hang tight.

FWIW, I'm not sold on the setup so far. Because of the location of the pipes, any large bump results in a BANG! from the rear end, which the installer warned me about. I'm not too keen on that and haven't had the opportunity to crawl under and see where the interference is.

Plus, the sound of the Magnaflow is great at idle, but gets pretty harsh as the RPMs increase. We'll see what happens when I reinstall the air intake silencer and slap on the SC ...

Morelater...
Old 11-28-2002, 11:28 AM

Hey Tomcat, where abouts in Indiana are you? I'm in Indianapolis, is ya ever want to go wheelin!

can't wait to see those pics of your truck! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 12-02-2002, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

OK, I took pics but they didn't show much -- just a couple of plain exhaust pipes sticking out beside the tow bar...

The punch line is, it's not working. The interference on the left side is unbearable. Every bump in the road results in a jarring >BANG!<

I'm heading back to the shop at lunch to discuss it with the muffler guy. Maybe we can salvage the dual setup, maybe not. I'll keep the list posted.

If successful, THEN I'll post a few pics...

(there's a reason why nobody has functioning duals on 4Runners)
Old 12-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Here's the latest update on the dual exhaust:

I took it back to the muffler shop today and told him that its constant banging was making my wife irritable ... did I need to clarify? Nope.

"Do whatever you need to do to make it so it doesn't bang on every bump," I said.

I picked it up at lunchtime today and it doesn't bang anymore. Yippee!!

The muffler guy said that there was "a clamp that they forgot to tighten." Oops.

So, maybe a functional dual exhaust is possible after all. When the weather warms up enough for me to wash my Runner and figure out how to shoot some pix of the underside (which is what I presume everyone wants to see, right?), I'll do my best.

Attached is a pic of the rear view. Not much to see ...
Old 12-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Is it me or is the attachment missing?!?
Old 12-11-2002, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Tomcat, does your dual magnaflow sound close to the one on corey's exhaust page? I love the look of dual exhaust, but I also love that sound of the magnaflow with the single out... If the dual has a fairly close sound, without much of the tone lost, I would deffinatley want it... Also, tomcat, where did you get your jaos billet grill, and how much? I love the look of the front end of your Runner in your Avatar. Peace.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:32 AM

hey tomcat, did you have to move your spare in order to do this??
Old 12-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Here's the latest update on the dual exhaust:

I took it back to the muffler shop today and told him that its constant banging was making my wife irritable ... did I need to clarify? Nope.

"Do whatever you need to do to make it so it doesn't bang on every bump," I said.

I picked it up at lunchtime today and it doesn't bang anymore. Yippee!!

The muffler guy said that there was "a clamp that they forgot to tighten." Oops.

So, maybe a functional dual exhaust is possible after all. When the weather warms up enough for me to wash my Runner and figure out how to shoot some pix of the underside (which is what I presume everyone wants to see, right?), I'll do my best.

Attached is a pic of the rear view. Not much to see ...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
duals-1.bmp (42.8 KB, 224 views)
Old 12-11-2002, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Jason has one too...

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/Exhaust.html

hes got pics and vids as well, check out his site
Old 12-11-2002, 11:33 AM

forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a "fake" dual exhaust system? So basically, one pipe has no exhaust fumes coming out of it correct? doesn't that look fishy in the winter when only one pipe is smoking? hmmmm... I think dual exhaust would be sweet on my runner, but I don't know about it now.... not that it doesn't look badass or anything...

the recent snow has got me thinking about weird things...
Old 12-11-2002, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's called Cabin Fever!

And I've got it too after an Icestorm today.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

The only problem he had with making it true dual is the spare tire. If he mounts it somewhere else (roof for example) he could easily turn it into a real dual exhaust...
Old 12-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

No, the muffler (Magnaflow) has one inlet and two outlet pipes. Smoke and noise come out of both.

Is there any increase/decrease in performance over a single exhaust in this setup? Haven't a clue. I would imagine that any differences are insignificant.

I would imagine that Gadget or Dr. Z could address the performance differences better than I.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe I'm not getting it, but I don't see the problem with the spare tire.

While I haven't crawled up under the truck since the installation -- other than to see what was banging so loudly -- the tire didn't seem to be a problem. The pipes just pass innocently by the spare on either side and exit alongside the hitch assembly.

While this muffler guy was very nice and seems to have done a respectable job (after tightening the offending clamp), he doesn't impress me as being the sharpest tool in the shed. If HE could run duals, I'm sure any other muffler guy could.

If there's still some confusion about how this was done, I'm sure I could run the Runner over to a shop and have 'em hoist it up so I can take some really nice pix of the setup, if that becomes necessary.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust