Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

drift starts ok, but starter wont start the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beartracker
Callmej75, I'm guessing that the battery was put in on the assembly line in late 00. At least the door sticker says that's when it was built in Calif. and it's an 01 Tacoma 4x4 exten. cab SR5 auto 2.7 .Everything points to the battery. It doesn't crank as easy as it should in the morning and when I turn on the lights just to see how bad they dim it's clear that starting power is a problem.
Don't know if I want to spend the money on an optma when a good Die-hard or interstate can last for years, Mike
Yeh I'd say its ready for a new one!! Theres your problem then...luckily its an easy pop the hood fix rather than ripping a starter out! I got a good battery from Advance...should last a while. Since were here thru the winters I like to get em with alot of cold cranking amps...but I'm sure you know this being in the hills of WV!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:22 PM

update; the started was fine, I watched them at advanced auto strap it to a table and it kicks out and runs strong.

then I took notice of the face of the mounts where it bolts up.

dirty... slightly corroded. the face of it was clean but staned a little black with that dull patina aluminum gets, (that doesnt conduct well ) after i took a wire brush to the started mount surface, the place where in bolts to on the engine, and cleaned all the contacts bright and dry.....

it starts up as good as new.
so if this happens to anyone else, first just try CLEANING the grounds, including the starter mount face itself and the engine.

the salt and water splashes up on that part from the road... salt and aluminum doesn't mix well.

the starter doesnt go in as easy as it comes out... btw.

Last edited by Allyia; 07-17-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Allyia
update; the started was fine, I watched them at advanced auto strap it to a table and it kicks out and runs strong.

then I took notice of the face of the mounts where it bolts up.

dirty... slightly corroded. the face of it was clean but staned a little black with that dull patina aluminum gets, (that doesnt conduct well ) after i took a wire brush to the started mount surface, the place where in bolts to on the engine, and cleaned all the contacts bright and dry.....

it starts up as good as new.
so if this happens to anyone else, first just try CLEANING the grounds, including the starter mount face itself and the engine.

the salt and water splashes up on that part from the road... salt and aluminum doesn't mix well.
Good deal
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 PM

Something that may be a little helpful to all that I've gotten into the practice of doing after every offroad excursion and/or oil change is hose down the starter's contacts with cleaner, i.e., first with "CRC 'QD' Electric Parts Cleaner", and then with some brake wash to clean the aluminum back up again as the 'lectric parts cleaner tends to leave a discoloring residue.

If you use the little "straws" that come with them and a little aiming with your hand on the straw, you barely need to strain yourself or get dirty, let alone grease under your fingernails.

Happy 'yota-ing.

p.s. Another possible diagnosis of the "click, click" would be the stater's and/or altenator's main power lead becoming corroded inside of it's casing (outta sight-outta mind), as can happen if you don't keep the contacts clean or are putting a heavy drain on your battery.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 AM

Received 638 Likes on 514 Posts
Corrosion down inside the insulation is the main reason I replaced the heavy guage battery wires when I went to Optima's. Never need to worry about corrosion on the termonals or down inside the insulation ever again now...
Old 07-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Well, good news on mine too but never would have found this one. My mechanic just said he wanted to try something....He replaced the starter relay in fuse box under the hood and it starts like new now! Bad relay would have been the last thing I would have thought of and it's the cheapest. It pays to have a mechanic who knows what he's doing and know that you can trust him. Mike
Old 07-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beartracker
Well, good news on mine too but never would have found this one. My mechanic just said he wanted to try something....He replaced the starter relay in fuse box under the hood and it starts like new now! Bad relay would have been the last thing I would have thought of and it's the cheapest. It pays to have a mechanic who knows what he's doing and know that you can trust him. Mike
No doubt Mike....glad ya found it man! Now you can keep that ancient battery another 100 years!
Old 07-24-2005, 09:42 AM

Wish you were right about the battery. We just replaced it too with a new Interstate. Oh well, I'm ready for winter if it ever gets here before the global warming kills us all. Mike
Old 07-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

You're good to go
Old 07-24-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Allyia
thats ok..
I don't know why more women don't work on their own cars... its fun.

(but I do use latex gloves....greasy fingernails just isn't very attractive)
I, too, don't know why more girls/women don't work on their own rides unless they're afriad of getting dirty or have become too reliant on us to do it for them, and have/am doing all that I can to encourage them to do so.

Not so much because I/we would'nt gladly do it for them ("it helps us to feel 'needed'" ), but more so so that they would stop getting taken advantage of when we're not around to berate the BS garage or stealership that is out to do so, not to mention that I think that it is one display of the epitome of "sexy' to watch a girl tooling around on her ride.

I don't know why the garage/stealership starts marking up the bill when they see a girl coming, other than it being out of some form of gender bias or debasement designed to help them feel better about thenselves by coddling their, no doubt, shallow ego's by taking advantage of a uninformed woman. Mind you, men get it as well, albeit to a lesser degree, they just seem to take more pleasure in taking advantage of a woman, like their trying to get even for something that their mothers didto them when they were little or something (and I'm not exaggerating here, I've seen some trully outrages examples of this exact same behavior, e.g., "headlight fluid").

p.s. I wear gloves, too, when I'm working on my ride not so much because I'm afraid of getting "greasy fingernails", but more so because girls have complained of my hands being too rough or coarse afterwards.

Last edited by 94x4; 07-24-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:09 PM

Author, author!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:23 PM

Thank you! Thank you!..., I'll be here all week. Please leave a tip in the jar.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Well, i thought it sounded just the teeniest bit more intelligent than "Yeah, what he said!"
Old 07-26-2005, 08:15 PM

O'kay, I'll give ya that, but that works too.