Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

difference in spacer lift or new springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
difference in spacer lift or new springs?

I am worried about cv stress and am having a tough time figuring out if
a 2.5 or 3 inch spacer lift is any different than OME springs? even if I go with a 2" spacer lift its way cheaper than springs, I just don't understand the difference. Is it the ride difference or handling, why spend extra for the same concept? please help me understand the difference. I searched and couldn't find anything! thanks!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by werdwerd
I am worried about cv stress and am having a tough time figuring out if
a 2.5 or 3 inch spacer lift is any different than OME springs? even if I go with a 2" spacer lift its way cheaper than springs, I just don't understand the difference. Is it the ride difference or handling, why spend extra for the same concept? please help me understand the difference. I searched and couldn't find anything! thanks!
As far as CV stress, it's the height of the spring or spring w/ spacer that matters. From all I've read, more than 2.5" will cause you problems. Some have more than this w/ little issue but I wouldn't risk it.

There is a pretty big difference between spacers and new springs not just from a dollar perspective, but from a ride one as well. The spacer (cheaper) stiffens up your stock spring while most after market springs are progressive and made to work at their specific height. IMHO, it's much better to go w/ new springs even though I have a spacer lift. I went the cheaper route...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
As far as CV stress, it's the height of the spring or spring w/ spacer that matters. From all I've read, more than 2.5" will cause you problems. Some have more than this w/ little issue but I wouldn't risk it.

There is a pretty big difference between spacers and new springs not just from a dollar perspective, but from a ride one as well. The spacer (cheaper) stiffens up your stock spring while most after market springs are progressive and made to work at their specific height. IMHO, it's much better to go w/ new springs even though I have a spacer lift. I went the cheaper route...
I had a spacer lift on my tacoma and the ride was better than stock. I am fine with what the ride is like with spacers but am really considering OME springs and shocks but can't seem to figure out if double the money is worth it even if i will have the same CV problems in the future. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 02-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

I had a spacer lift on my tacoma and the ride was better than stock. I am fine with what the ride is like with spacers but am really considering OME springs and shocks but can't seem to figure out if double the money is worth it even if i will have the same CV problems in the future. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Springs are just one component of your suspension that will affect your ride. Did you also change out your shocks when you put in the spacers on your Tacoma? Maybe new tires?

My ride stiffened up quite a bit from stock w/ spacers and Bilsteins. It is better than stock but I would think that a progressive spring made for its height would ride and handle better than a stock spring w/ a spacer in it.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Springs are just one component of your suspension that will affect your ride. Did you also change out your shocks when you put in the spacers on your Tacoma? Maybe new tires?

My ride stiffened up quite a bit from stock w/ spacers and Bilsteins. It is better than stock but I would think that a progressive spring made for its height would ride and handle better than a stock spring w/ a spacer in it.
my main worry is the cv angle and how long it will last with 1 or the other.
if a spacer lift is going to give me the same life out of a cv than a new larger spring then I will save the money and buy spacers, but if I gain something from new springs then that is what I will do! Just looking for a reason to spend more money or less for the same problems!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

my main worry is the cv angle and how long it will last with 1 or the other.
if a spacer lift is going to give me the same life out of a cv than a new larger spring then I will save the money and buy spacers, but if I gain something from new springs then that is what I will do! Just looking for a reason to spend more money or less for the same problems!
I think it's kinda a gamble with 2.5-3" spacers. I'm running spacers that give me 3" of lift, but I also have 1.5" diff drop spacers as well. I've been running mine for almost a year, done moderate wheeling, and have had no problems. But others have had problems with their cv's running spacers. The general rule is that 2.5-3" w/ 1-1.5" diff drop is going to generally be OK. I keep an eye on my CV's, but I keep an eye on all my components. Having felt the difference between spacer lifts and high end coil-overs, if you have the $$$, the CO's are definitely the best, but for the money, I don't think spacers are that bad. I also have TRD springs, which are progressive, so that may tame some of the stiffness that others have experienced. Just my 2c.