Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Costco cargo cabinet...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
man, the more and more i look at this, the more value i see in it. i did a quick google and froogle search on this costco cargo box and definitely costco is the cheapest. i know several members have made their own, but this is such a cost effective and time saving way to have a great little cargo box.

here's the mfg's website: http://suvcargocaddy.com/

this is a great solution for those of you who hunt and/or target shoot. here in the third reich...i mean california, you have to have your guns locked up. technically (as I understand the laws here to be...which no one, not even the cops for the most part), the back of our 4runners are not considered a lockable trunk and thus if you carry multiple guns, you better have locking cases (which can be expensive).

bob
Agreed.
The Costco comes with two instead of one with only less than 10 bucks more. But, too bad only grey color, which is not really terrible.

This is a thing that you would not make it by yourself.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
folonone,

there is a tan color. li_runner put the link to the tan one (see in middle of this thread)

i went to costco today at lunch to see if they had one. they did not. nevertheless, i think id rather buy this than build it. my woodworking skills are not that great

bob
Old 02-09-2005, 04:16 PM

folonone,

there is a tan color. li_runner put the link to the tan one (see in middle of this thread)

i went to costco today at lunch to see if they had one. they did not. nevertheless, i think id rather buy this than build it. my woodworking skills are not that great

bob
bob,
the link you provided in the middle does have more colors to choose from, but also expensive.

The one costco, actually two, is 209 bucks. Grey is great.
I think this offer is online with delivery extra. I don't see it in our store here (east coast).

BTW, the link you provided is very descriptive. Costco should have used that picture.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

this is a great solution for those of you who hunt and/or target shoot. here in the third reich...i mean california, you have to have your guns locked up. technically (as I understand the laws here to be...which no one, not even the cops for the most part), the back of our 4runners are not considered a lockable trunk and thus if you carry multiple guns, you better have locking cases (which can be expensive).

bob
You'll still need a case to take your long gun into the range with... or are you talking about shooting out in the desert? I tend to agree that this would be a really cost efficient way to go.

Have you guys tried calling your local Costco and seeing if you can order it?
I don't know if that's an option...
Old 02-09-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$209 is a smokin' deal. Not to be critical, but I think you'd be hard pressed to make a box for much less that wasn't booty fabbed. It is a factory produced piece - likely pretty good fit and finish.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
$209 is a smokin' deal. Not to be critical, but I think you'd be hard pressed to make a box for much less that wasn't booty fabbed. It is a factory produced piece - likely pretty good fit and finish.
...booty fabbed? must be an east coast expression i mean, back in tha days, i used to get a lot of booty calls, but booty fabbed?

bob
Old 02-09-2005, 04:43 PM

What, did they replace highschool woodshop with steal milling out there in PA?

I think for that ammount of cash, I could make one kickin cargo box.

I made one for <$80 that is a custom fit and it looks good. I was never a fan of anything "universal". To me that means, close but no cigar. You know, I need some cash and I got some spare time, plus I can make a straight cut in a piece of wood!

Lamm
Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 PM

What I like about that one (mine will be custom out of aluminum ), is that it doesn't weigh 100 lbs empty. Wood is too heavy IMO.

Personally, I never like putting wood into a vehicle. I just doesn't seem right to me. Just my opinion - and probably not a popular one...

Even when I did stereo stuff, I tried to stay away from too much wood.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Diamond plate, that "wood" be slick.

With mine you can't see any wood unless you open the drawer, and then its painted grey to match its carpet covering. I didn't weigh it but I bet its around 50 lbs. empty, and plenty sturdy. I just wish I could shake the habit of hauling so much around 24/7. The second I take stuff out, I will invariably need it though. I miss having the depth of the cargo compartment.

Lamm
Old 02-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
I was too busy playing the Trombone!

(Let the jokes begin)
Old 02-09-2005, 05:17 PM

I never wanted to be part of a class that boiled down to hour long sessions of blowing.

Oh well, judging by your username and avatar, you sorted yourself out.

Lamm
Old 02-09-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
No theft here...
Old 02-11-2005, 09:36 AM

Whoops,

I never klaymed 2 B N inglish skoler.

But I have been to Pittsburg, so I'm not convinced there is no theft... HAHAHA

Lamm
Old 02-19-2005, 07:49 PM

What I like about that one (mine will be custom out of aluminum ), is that it doesn't weigh 100 lbs empty. Wood is too heavy IMO.

Personally, I never like putting wood into a vehicle. I just doesn't seem right to me. Just my opinion - and probably not a popular one...

Even when I did stereo stuff, I tried to stay away from too much wood.
I hear you...Even the one from Costco is a little heavy for me, when adding a ton of tools/supplies/etc. its already adding a lot of weight to the rear...In fact I am building one for my runner right now out of carbon fiber, final weight empty should be less then 25 pounds... I just want to do what ever I can to keep the truck light, anything to help the gas mileage!
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonized
I hear you...Even the one from Costco is a little heavy for me, when adding a ton of tools/supplies/etc. its already adding a lot of weight to the rear...In fact I am building one for my runner right now out of carbon fiber, final weight empty should be less then 25 pounds... I just want to do what ever I can to keep the truck light, anything to help the gas mileage!
Post up pics - that will be cool as hell!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:47 PM

carbon fiber...sweet! but really, there is a cost/utility threshold that probably can't be beat as compared to this costco organizer. but if you do build it, i'd love to see it as well

bob
Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 AM

Unless I'm missing something, there's only a grey one for the 4Runner. If you check the fitment guide from either Costco or EPI, the mid-size is the one that fits the 4Runner, and Costco only sells the mid-size in grey (though EPI's site does list the mid-size in tan).

I also do not see where you guys are seeing 2 units (of any of the sizes) for 1 price. The king sized unit is shown as two drawers side by side, but I think that you have to buy each drawer (at $209 each), though the point is moot as they don't fit the 4Runner anyway (unless you fold down the rear seats, perhaps - but I don't think you could fit 2 side by side in the 4Runner anyway).

As far as planning this purchase to store your firearms in while travelling either to or from the range or your basecamp, keep in mind that the cargo box designed to fit our 4Runners doesn't have a whole lot of room. It has an interior width of just over 33 inches, so that rules out most rifles (unless you're transporting it disassembled). If you use most of the box to put the weapon in (ie the rifle is situated diagonally, with the muzzle in the upper left and the stock in the lower right), you should have about 45 inches to work with. This will let you fit in a lot of rifles, but there are several that even this will preclude. Just make sure you take your measurements before you buy, if this is what you're buying it for.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but everyone should realize all the aspects before investing.

~Bill
Old 02-20-2005, 11:20 AM

Mystickal is right about the size and the price being only for one of the two king size shown in the image.

Another note - I had considered this as an option for under the 4th gen double decker, but the mid size one is about an inch too tall to fit.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:38 AM

bill,

holy cow, they dont have mid-size tan anymore! i swear when li-runner posted that link, they did. i was a few clicks of a mouse from buying it too,but decided to go see if my local costco had one.

damn!

but good points on the size issue.

bob

Originally Posted by Mystickal
Unless I'm missing something, there's only a grey one for the 4Runner. If you check the fitment guide from either Costco or EPI, the mid-size is the one that fits the 4Runner, and Costco only sells the mid-size in grey (though EPI's site does list the mid-size in tan).

I also do not see where you guys are seeing 2 units (of any of the sizes) for 1 price. The king sized unit is shown as two drawers side by side, but I think that you have to buy each drawer (at $209 each), though the point is moot as they don't fit the 4Runner anyway (unless you fold down the rear seats, perhaps - but I don't think you could fit 2 side by side in the 4Runner anyway).

As far as planning this purchase to store your firearms in while travelling either to or from the range or your basecamp, keep in mind that the cargo box designed to fit our 4Runners doesn't have a whole lot of room. It has an interior width of just over 33 inches, so that rules out most rifles (unless you're transporting it disassembled). If you use most of the box to put the weapon in (ie the rifle is situated diagonally, with the muzzle in the upper left and the stock in the lower right), you should have about 45 inches to work with. This will let you fit in a lot of rifles, but there are several that even this will preclude. Just make sure you take your measurements before you buy, if this is what you're buying it for.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but everyone should realize all the aspects before investing.

~Bill
Old 02-20-2005, 11:40 AM

I think the price is good compared to me trying to building and screw it up. But I think you end up with it in your truck all the time and just makes for even higher jump for my dog to jump over (already had one knee surgery)

Quick Reply: Costco cargo cabinet...