Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Coolant Drain plugs in 94 V6 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant Drain plugs in 94 V6 3.0L

Hello,

I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup SR5 with a V6 3.0L motor w/o AC and a 5 speed manual. I am trying to install an inline plug-in heater that helps to heat the coolant in the winter (In Alaska) . I am having trouble finding a lower coolant drain plug on the block. I need to stick a fitting with heater hose into that plug so I can pump the cold coolant into the little inline heater. I have everything I need to do the job, but I cant seem to find the coolant drain plug. Also, I hear it is loctite'd in so I might have to work to get them out. I guess I just need to access a coolant source low on the engine, so my heater can heat it up and pump it back through the system. If anyone knows where there are coolant drain plugs on this V6 motor, please let me know. The Chilton I have didnt do me much good, so I might just start pulling plugs down there and hope antifreeze comes out Thanks alot guys.

Tyson
Old 08-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyson94SR5
Hello,

I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup SR5 with a V6 3.0L motor w/o AC and a 5 speed manual. I am trying to install an inline plug-in heater that helps to heat the coolant in the winter (In Alaska) . I am having trouble finding a lower coolant drain plug on the block. I need to stick a fitting with heater hose into that plug so I can pump the cold coolant into the little inline heater. I have everything I need to do the job, but I cant seem to find the coolant drain plug. Also, I hear it is loctite'd in so I might have to work to get them out. I guess I just need to access a coolant source low on the engine, so my heater can heat it up and pump it back through the system. If anyone knows where there are coolant drain plugs on this V6 motor, please let me know. The Chilton I have didnt do me much good, so I might just start pulling plugs down there and hope antifreeze comes out Thanks alot guys.
Tyson

Yeah those pictures are worthless in the manual, I even have the FSM and they use the same crapy pictures as the owners manual. It just behind the motor mount on each side very hard to see and even harder to get to. I have never taken it out though.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:23 PM

Talking Thinking about the Radiator drain plug.

Ok I found the plug, but I will have to remove that motor mount to get to it haha, I was thinking about using the radiator plug as the cold inlet to the heater. That drain plug on the radiator threads out correct?? I can put the fitting in there and not have to go through the hassle just for a little heater. Anyone know if this is a bad idea?? Better than trying to get to that hidden block plug? Just getting the truck ready for -40 F up in Fairbanks, Alaska. Thanks for the reply, helped out alot and saved ALOT of time.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I found the plug, but I will have to remove that motor mount to get to it haha, I was thinking about using the radiator plug as the cold inlet to the heater. That drain plug on the radiator threads out correct?? I can put the fitting in there and not have to go through the hassle just for a little heater. Anyone know if this is a bad idea?? Better than trying to get to that hidden block plug? Just getting the truck ready for -40 F up in Fairbanks, Alaska. Thanks for the reply, helped out alot and saved ALOT of time.
Well I have had a little experence with plugging my car in on a cold winter night. I think (not positive) the problem would be getting the coolant to curculate through the block with the thermostat closed. I had a heater that if I remember right went inline with the heater hose and was suppose to curculate if you left the heater lever on. It worked great for a while but I think I burnt the motor up by plugging it in without leaving the heater on.

Talk to some locals up there, I'm sure they have figured out the best way to keep her warm at night.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:37 AM

Found the drain plug finally!

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I think (not positive) the problem would be getting the coolant to curculate through the block with the thermostat closed.
Hey there,

I found one of the drain plugs you mentioned right by the motor mount. I think I have it figured out now. If I run the heater inlet to the drain plug it will be passed the thermostat and should cycle heater coolant through the block right? I am trying to install the pump somewhere below the top of the block as to make sure that the heater will be full of coolant. It looks tricky on this truck though. The heater hose coming out of the firewall and into the top of the block is the one I want to "T" into, but it is ABOVE the block. I was wondering, will the heated coolant flow, if the outlet hose from my little heater has to run above the water system?? I can "T" into the heater hose at the top of the block fairly close to the top of the block, but the hose from my little heater would still have to "T" in above the block. Maybe I will hook it all up, fill it all up, and then check and see if coolant gets up to my "T" hose . Thanks alot for your replies. This is kind of a dumb pos, but the instructions werent the best.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Hello,

I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup SR5 with a V6 3.0L motor w/o AC and a 5 speed manual..... I am having trouble finding a lower coolant drain plug on the block. ... but I cant seem to find the coolant drain plug. ... If anyone knows where there are coolant drain plugs on this V6 motor, please let me know.
I know I am bumping a very old thread! I am doing my waterpump/timingbelt today. Do I need to drain the coolant from these drain plugs like the manual says? I couldn't find them last night when I drained the radiator, hopefully I can find them now. From searching, it seems like most don't know where these are, so is everyone doing their wp/tb without draining them? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Chris I only drained the radiator.. some fluid will run out when you take the upper hose off. Most of the fluid left in the block is below the level your working at. Good luck with that job.. hardest part by far is getting cams lined back up and getting new belt on.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 AM

Why is this post in the 3rd gen forum?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by emptypockets
Why is this post in the 3rd gen forum?
Because it dates back to the pre-split on the forum.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! I actually just drained the radiator and then when I pulled the coolant line from the waterpump that goes to the oil cooler, I was able to hold it down real low and it drained alot more out of the block.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Because it dates back to the pre-split on the forum.
Duh! I didn't even look at the posting dates! Sorry!