Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clutch job, and price. New idea as well

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch job, and price. New idea as well

Ok, here's a new idea, instead of searching for what it costs to get things done (brake jobs, head gaskets, clutches, lift installs, etc.) make threads or gather info for each and post it up. For example:

I need a new clutch in my truck, starting to slip.

So, what I'd like people to list is:

cost of every thing out the door and indicate whether you installed it yourself, got a hook up on install through a friend, or just payed some random shop to do it.

Also, if you got it done at a shop, indicate whether it was dealer, random mechanic, or toyota only mechanic.

I think this would be nice to have a section for the rest of the YT'ers so that when something needs to be done, a person can check a section and find prices or add prices.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think for my clutch, I paid around $300 bucks in parts at Napa autoparts. $100 bucks to tow me from the entrance to Pismo to Santa Maria.

New Flywheel $75
Clutch assembly (pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot bearing, alignment tool) $240

Total for parts: Approx. $315

Installed it ourselves (Me and Milt 'Cabbage')

I burnt up my clutch at Pismo beach back in October '05
I called a local shop and they quoted me $900 for the job and couldn't guarantee that they could complete the job before I needed to get back home. So, some fellow YTers helped me out by towing me to the entrance of the beach. Then I got towed to Cabbage's (Milton) house and we spent all the next day doing it. It was my first time replacing a clutch and his second. We didn't have a tranny jack, so we ended up using two floor jacks. We did have to buy a ridiculously long extension for his ratchet to reach the top two bolts on bellhousing (connected to engine). It was pretty straightforward... we took A LOT, and I mean A LOT of breaks. We probably could have done it faster, but we didn't want to rush... plus, it wasn't completely urgent. I mean, I still had a day after that day to work on it if needed. Anywho, it took approx. 13 hours. I wish I had had that money to just put a ceramic clutch with an HD pressure plate, but I just needed to get back home. It still works fine... when I do the engine swap, I'm gonna put a Marlin ceramic clutch and heavy duty pressure plate.

Last edited by Keggo; 11-26-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Keggo
I think for my clutch, I paid around $300 bucks in parts at Napa autoparts. $100 bucks to tow me from the entrance to Pismo to Santa Maria.

New Flywheel $75
Clutch assembly (pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot bearing, alignment tool) $240

Total for parts: Approx. $315

Installed it ourselves (Me and Milt 'Cabbage')

I burnt up my clutch at Pismo beach back in October '05
I called a local shop and they quoted me $900 for the job and couldn't guarantee that they could complete the job before I needed to get back home. So, some fellow YTers helped me out by towing me to the entrance of the beach. Then I got towed to Cabbage's (Milton) house and we spent all the next day doing it. It was my first time replacing a clutch and his second. We didn't have a tranny jack, so we ended up using two floor jacks. We did have to buy a ridiculously long extension for his ratchet to reach the top two bolts on bellhousing (connected to engine). It was pretty straightforward... we took A LOT, and I mean A LOT of breaks. We probably could have done it faster, but we didn't want to rush... plus, it wasn't completely urgent. I mean, I still had a day after that day to work on it if needed. Anywho, it took approx. 13 hours. I wish I had had that money to just put a ceramic clutch with an HD pressure plate, but I just needed to get back home. It still works fine... when I do the engine swap, I'm gonna put a Marlin ceramic clutch and heavy duty pressure plate.
thanks for being the only reply thus far.

Yup, it seems that I'm going to be in the 'just below 1k' ballpark for a clutch job, dammit.

I'd love to do it myself, but it's finding the time and place to do it that is the hard part.

Thanks Kevin.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Toyota dealer
(10% off because my friend worked for Toyota at the time)
OEM clutch kit
Resurface flywheel
R&R

$750
Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Toyota dealer
(10% off because my friend worked for Toyota at the time)
OEM clutch kit
Resurface flywheel
R&R

$750
with that 10% discount, about the same price i got quoted.

keep 'em coming guys.

Does any body else think it'd be a good idea to get a section for finding costs of things like this?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

I think it's a good idea. The only problem is that prices seem to vary by region and sometimes "hidden" work jacks up the price which would skew our data a bit. All in all I think it would be beneficial to a lot of folks here on YT though. Maybe something very simple like this:

3rd gen full clutch job
dealer
$700 - $1000

Another good one would be axle seals. The dealer wanted $1400 to do both my seals and rear brakes. I just completed the entire job myself for less than $100. Can you believe that?