Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CEL and rough running

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CEL and rough running

Had a bit of an issue this morning on my way to work. To set the stage, it has been really cold the past week. last few mornings have been between 14-19 degrees, yeah that might not sound too cold for some in the midwest but for western washington that is freakin cold!

Truck was fully warmed up, had about 1/4 tank. Started to pull an incline at about 50 miles per hour and the truck felt like I was running on a washboard. After the tranny kicked down I started getting a flashing CEL and the truck was still running weird. I let off the accelerator as I crested the hill and the roughness subsided and the CEL went out. Coasted down the back side without issue but after I turned onto the highway and began to accelerate at about 50 miles per hour, I started feeling the washboard again and the CEL started flashing for about 5 seconds then out. This repeated two more times in the next 2 miles. When I arrived at work I got out and listened to the exhaust and it sounded a bit like a motorboat. It was missing, but not really severe.

When I left work this afternoon, I started up the t4ruck without issue and it ran smooth as glass for about a minute then started missing. I drove about 1/2 mile and was at operating temp when the CEL came on solid for the first time. I stopped at the auto hobby shop on base and talked to a mechanic as I wanted to try to see if they had an OBD2 code reader but they didn't but the mechanic there said by my description that I had damaged my CAT? Well I did not put too much stock in that. Managed to get to town and at the local O'Reilly's (formally Schucks) they loaned me the code reader and I flashed a code. I had a hard code and then one in memory as now I had a solid CEL. The code was P0306 6 cyl misfire. I also got a bunch of other info about the freeze frame. The guy there made a recommendation as I only had the single code and that was to buy a can of throttle body cleaner and a new set of plugs. I wasn't sure when the wires had been changed either so I bought a set of wires as well. he told me how to clean the throttle body (same instructions were on the can) but I could not fully follow the directins as the truck would not continue to run when I removed the intake hose coming from the air box. Bottom line here was I was able to complete the cleaning as per the directions and then disconnected the battery while I swapped out the plugs and wires. I found out the NGK plugs that I got which the parts guy told me where OEM plugs was that the V type plugs I bought only had a single electrode with a groove in the plug end. I checked the gap for .031 as my FSM directed, replaced the plugs, ran the new wires (that was interesting as well) and thenhooked up all the hoses and the battery.

Truck fired right up and no CEL. I let it run for about 5 minutes to let it come back up to operating temp and all seemed right with the world again. I noted the plugs I pulled out where the same number but the last two digits were different and the electrodes were forked. I am wondering will I have any issues with these new plugs or am I going to be replacing these "new" plugs with these double forked ones?

Any comments or suggestions are always welcome. This was a first for me on my Runner and getting those plugs out was very interesting and was a challenge. I love YotaTech!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So all is fine now, no more CEL?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:19 PM

So far it seems to be clear, but I really will not know until I drive the truck for a few days to see if it comes back. Right now it seems to be running smooth but I will be posting results.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 AM

To follow up on my CEL and rough running issue, seems that for now the issue has abated with the install of new plugs and wires. I have driven the truck over the weekend and so far all is right with the world. The CEL code P0306 6 cyl misfire has not returned. Engine is smooth running. I am still at a bit of a loss on the plugs, anyone have any input on the type of plugs that should be used? I installed NGK plugs that O'Reilly's shows as the OEM replacement, supposed to be the 'V' power electrode, but as I mentioned in the previous write up it only has one contact over a 'V' shaped electrode while the plugs I pulled from the engine had two contacts over a smooth electrode.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Run those plugs since you have them in there, they may wear out quicker but just check them in about 10,000 miles.

Here's a long thread on plugs for the 5VZFE: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e...h-bank-177019/
Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 AM

Dale, really interesting thread thanks for the input. After reading your thread I think I may go back to the parts store and have a chat with the parts guy who sold me those plugs. It was a real PITA putting htose plugs in to start with and I may just swap those plugs out with the dual ground BKR5EKB-11 Grrrrrrrrr and I told the guy I wanted the OEM plugs!