Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB Antenna Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Antenna Questions

Searched, and to my amazement this hasn't been covered here yet. I read everything I could over at the OutdoorWire but I want some fresh opinions. And by now, people who probably recommended something back then have learned through experience that there's an even better way!

My birthday's coming up (7 July if anyone feels like wishin' me a happy one, heh) and I'm sure to get a CB radio for it so I can join the local 4x4 club here. Plus I'm doing a road trip in the Runner next month so it may come in handy.

My question is regarding antennas. I've seen different ones and because I park underground and won't have it hooked up all the time so I need it to be removable. Reception long range is not a requirement but of course I don't want useless reception...

I understand spring-loaded are best, center-loaded 2nd best and base-loaded rated last. I'm thinking about getting this one, which is magnetic and center loaded:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=21%2D994

So now the questions:

1. Anyone know of any problems w/magnetic mounted antennas that I should be aware of?

2. What's the best way to wire the antenna from CB to the outside for this removable antenna (other than out an open window), without having to go through an hour's worth of wiring each time I want to set it up?

3. Does anyone have a better suggestion than the magnetic antenna, that is just as easily removable?

Thx in advance,

Al
Old 06-27-2002, 01:51 AM

I used to use magnetic areials when i lived in the city because i wouldn't fit in carparks with it on my roof. The only thing i noticed was that they sometimes leave a mark where they wrere, so i recomend wrapping the base in a ziplock bag or something to stop it hurting the paint.
It would only do this if i hit something and the thing bounced.
thats about all i noticed, there pretty good otherwise,

cheers
DAn.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:15 AM

I bought a 5" magnetic base from Radio Shack. That is one tuff base. Can't hardly get it off. Then, I bought a 2' Firestik. I get low SWR with this combo. Under 1.5.

Try www.firestik.com for Q&As.

Pete
Old 06-27-2002, 05:30 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Al, I will try and add my thoughts here. The mag mount ones work, but your reception can be limited since the antennas are often small.

Have you read up on the FAQ section at Firestik? They have some good write-ups.

If you want good reception and transmitting, I'd go for a permanent mount.
The setup I have is removable in a split second thanks to the quick disconnect I have. If you get one, don't get the $10 ones. They are cheap and rattle.
I paid $20 for mine and it's rock solid. One simple push down/turn and the antenna comes off.

Also with a mag mount you are moving them and that could throw off your SWR I would think.
I run my coax right from the CB out a hole in the firewall where those rubber plugs are. Same hold I run all my wiring out that goes to my lights.

Check out my CB page to see where I use to have the antenna before I moved it to the ARB bumper.
The spot where I had it on the fender is a good spot and had a very good SWR reading there.
The important thing is to have the ground wire for the antenna grounded right by it, and not more than an inch or two away.
I found that out when I hooked it up to the ARB.

I put the ground wire under the hood under a bolt I use for other grounds. My SWR was so high, it was almost off the scale.
I went to the local CB shop and he about laughed.
He said you are not looking for an electrical ground, but a "ground plane."
He grounded it right on the ARB and the SWR reading is now around 1 all the time.

I guess you can see here I am not a fan of the mag mount ones and prefer a full time mount setup.
You won't have any coaxes hanging out your window either and getting in your way.
For the best performance I would go for a full time mount with the quick disconnect to take if off before you park.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:38 AM

FirestikII

I have Firestik II 5 feet antenna, white, brand new for sale $10 + shipment if some one is interesting.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:44 AM

Thx for the info guys. I read through the firestik FAQ last night too. Getting the CB's easy, it's all in the antenna and details about them...

Well, I haven't quite decided yet but I do like Corey's installation with the removable antenna. That way I could leave it wired up all the time and simply plug in the antenna when I'm ready to use it.

Were there any problems mounting it on the driver-side of your hood area Corey? I don't want it to warp my hood, not have enough room, or have the hood go up and down more than it already does on the highway.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:00 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi Al, no worries if you decide to mount it on the fender.
I was even able to utilize a factory bolt for part of the mount.

The hood goes up and down fine as there is still a little clearance when the hood is shut.
I did put some 'lectrical tape down in that area, but it never came close to rubbing.

If you choose this mounting method, your SWR and ground are all taken care of.
The mount has a bolt hole on it for the coax ground, and then the mount grounds itself to your chassis when you bolt/screw it on.

You will only then need to fine tune the antenna to get the match down as low as possible.

Did you ever see Phong's setup? I believe he made a mount that comes out of the 3rd gens grille, and it looked real sweet.
I can't find any pics though, and I have his EC4RJ pics from last year.
Corey
Old 06-27-2002, 08:04 AM

Fender mount sounds really good. I saw the Quick Disconnects for sale at Firestik too, only $7 or so. Are they good ones to use or cheapies?

Last question(s): when you remove your antenna does the mounting bracket sticking out above the fender still show? That's part of the permanent mount, right?

Al
Old 06-27-2002, 08:16 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I just looked at Firestik's QD's, and I hate to say it, but that is the same one I bought at GI Joe's that I threw into the junk pile.

The one at Joe's was a different brand, but the same thing.
The spring falls out of it that holds the pressure, and it rattled like crazy.

I pad about $20 for mine, and it's worth it. I am not sure where to get them online, but this is the shop I deal with.
It's called Jet City CB as it's just down the road from the Boeing 737 & 757 factory.

If you call him, maybe he can ship to Canada?
The guy is real good at doing any work on CB's.

See that little skinny part just sticking above the spring?
That, and the spring are all that shows when you grab the knurled part and twist the antenna off.

If you don't use a spring, you will stick up about 4" less. I like the spring though as it lets the 'glass antenna flex more, and I think it's better for it instead of being solid.
Corey
Old 06-27-2002, 08:33 AM

I see how it works now, thx for the explanation Corey. I'm new to CB's so learning all I can about it before I get mine installed.

The thing I like about the magnetic ones is the 'stealth aspect' of it when removed. You can't tell you've got a CB radio or an antenna for punk kids to grab, pull, try and tear off, etc.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 06-27-2002, 01:19 PM

He said you are not looking for an electrical ground, but a "ground plane."
Keep in mind that if our truck was a circle and the antenna was in the middle, the radiated signal would also be a circle. If we consider the front of the truck one side of the circle and the back the other, we can see that the sides of the circle are missing. We now have an elongated oval pattern instead of a circle, with a somewhat equal distance front and rear.

This is perfect for the traveler on the road since the reception is good behind and also in front, with some reception from each side. As we are speeding along we can hear all about the wildlife front and rear.

Since it's not always practical to have the antenna in the middle we have to give up something. So keep this elongated oval pattern in mind as a guide for antenna location and you can see the pattern shift as the antenna location moves.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:28 PM

Thx for the tip, Ron. I'll remember it when I'm deciding where to mount the antenna.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by dandownunder
I used to use magnetic areials when i lived in the city because i wouldn't fit in carparks with it on my roof. The only thing i noticed was that they sometimes leave a mark where they wrere, so i recomend wrapping the base in a ziplock bag or something to stop it hurting the paint.
It would only do this if i hit something and the thing bounced.
thats about all i noticed, there pretty good otherwise,

cheers
DAn.
My Bluelight for the fire co. does the same thing, so I wrapped duct tape around and it works great. No Marks or anything. Just make sure that the magnet is strong enough so it doesn't move at all! Goodluck! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 01:45 PM

Hey Ryan,

When you use it and mount it, do you normally send the coax through an open window? What about if you go mudding?

Al
Old 06-28-2002, 07:22 AM

I took a trip to CB City after work yesterday to see what they have for antennas.

I think I've finally decided not to go with a magnetic mounted one, just because I don't want to run the coax out the window. And other routes to run the coax just don't seem feasible for me.

Because the CB I am getting includes weather channels, I need a particular type of antenna, in which the coils will allow the reception of those channels.

The mounting bracket, base bolt-looking thing, 18' coax and 48" whip antenna should cost me about $35 USD, so that's not too bad.

I'm going to mount it above my driver-side fender like Corey did. The mounting bracket uses only one bolt to secure it in place. I'll put some rubber between it and the quarter panel so it doesn't rub the paint or rattle. After all is done, the antenna can simply be unscrewed from the base leaving only very little showing (about a 2 " bolt sticking up from the mounting plate).

Can't wait...I'll take pics when I get it installed. Thx for all the help guys.

Oh...does anyone know how to properly tune an antenna to the vehicle, without the $500 equipment most CB places use? Or do I have to take it to them to do?
Old 06-28-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by HBoss
Oh...does anyone know how to properly tune an antenna to the vehicle, without the $500 equipment most CB places use? Or do I have to take it to them to do?
I just checked my Radio Shack catalog and they have 2 CB/HAM SWR meters for $19.95 and $29.95 if your radio doesn't have a built-in meter.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by HBoss
Hey Ryan,

When you use it and mount it, do you normally send the coax through an open window? What about if you go mudding?

Al
I'll reply here.... When I ran my K40 magnet mount CB setup, I routed the cable to the back hatch. The weather strip/seal did a good job did not chew up my cable.

I mounted the magnet mount on the center of the roof and routed the cable along the roof rock with zip ties. It works nicely, however since my ARB bumper, I'm wanting to do a permanent mount.
So if anyone is interested in it, shoot me an e-mail or see my ealier post.
BTW It's K40 with a quick disconnect on the antenna and a magnet mount base.

Best offer! and it's in excellent shape.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:07 PM

Re: FirestikII

Originally posted by Bratik
I have Firestik II 5 feet antenna, white, brand new for sale $10 + shipment if some one is interesting.
Is this the one that show's up on your pics at the EC4RJ? Did you end up going with something different?
Old 06-28-2002, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,
I run a 2 meter amateur radio and it was easy to drill a hole in my roof and mount my antenna in the center. This is the best place to be able to transmit in all directions (center of the ground plane = good transmission in all directions) I believe it was a 7/8" hole, and it is just a 3/8" high screw base. If I'm going through a car wash (not often) or a parking garage, I just stand in the door and unscrew it from the base. There is no rattle, no leaks and it works great on my DD wagon. I also remove it when parking at hiking tail heads.

David