Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

can someone help translate my Midas receipt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone help translate my Midas receipt?

i need a few things... new brake lines, our engine oil pan is leaking... not good
new fuel line (rusted out) ... our coolant is lower than it's suppose to be.. not ready for the winter weather ... all these things my sister and I don't really know. Been pretty guilty not having the money to take care of it... pisses us off.. I've attached our receipt from Midas ...can anyone make out what I've scanned.. and if so, can you tell us what's important on it.. what we need to do!

thanks..

hopefully it aint too blurry.. you can zoom up too... if anyone has the time and patience to ...help us ...translate it to us in someway... we'd sure appreciate it.. we have about ... 329,000 miles on our truck right now...

1996 toyota tacoma ext cab... V6 automatic 3.4L engine....
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, my biggest concern would be the leaky oil pan. Wether that is just a bad gasket or a cracked oil pan is the real question. How bad are the fuel and brake lines? Do you constantly have to add brake fluid? Are they cracked and leaking or just have some surface rust? Do yourself a big favor and crawl under the truck and check stuff out, familiarize yourself with the workings of your vehicle, maybe someday it will save you some money, maybe even save your life! Other than those things, do an oil change and top off the coolant. None of that should be too difficult to do.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM

the first problem is.....taking it to midas.
the second issue, 329k miles. Thats a fart load of miles on a rig (im assuming canada) especially in northern snow country too. Unless your adding oil between every oil change, i bet you could just pressure wash your entire motor/undercarriage and it would get rid of the "leak" that midas found.
If your brake lines are rusted through, i would suggest having somone you know look at the rest of your rig to see if its even worth forking any money into - or take it to a local mom/pop shop, or even a stealership & have them walk you through step by step, and show you everything that is wrong with it if you dont have any mechanical knowledge. Understanding your rig before you spend $$ is essential.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as i can tell, your concern would be. a normal tune up/ major tune up is in order. only because of your mileage. honestly, have someone check out your fuel and brake lines to make sure they are okay. get a new fuel/ air and oil filter. oil change and fluids flushed outta everything. new coolant maybe a good flush.... spark plugs. new oil pan gasket is simple. really. nothing to worry about. just make sure you get stuff taken care of. plus, dont take it to midas next time.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

The way things are those people at Midas have to write every little thing up.

Now I would check your fuel and brake lines to me they are the most critical meaning a failure there could mean a fire or a loss of brakes when you need them the most.

Having just done a T100 last winter from upstate New York it also had problems with rusted fuel and brake lines.

The Major tune up should be done as money allows some people have no concept of this state of being.

Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 AM

check lines as everyone else has said, also w/ next oil change see if you can add a dye additive so you can see where the actual Oil Leak is cause sure alot of the oil will accumulate around the oilpan gasket but could be leaking from alot of other places instead.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like they all said, none of that stuff listed is hard to do, just crawl under the truck and have a look for yourself. You will save a LOT doing it yourself and learn a lot in the process.

A full tune up should take care of most of that. The brake and fuel lines I would look over, surface rust is not a big deal but if there is a significant amount of rust on them then it would be worth it to have those replaced.

Lastly, get a second opinion long before going on just what Midas said. They are not exactly the best mechanics or the most trustworthy around.