Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track, there's a chance the brakes will get better on their own. Sometimes the bubbles will work back through the master cylinder. Once your system flushes clean, you can reuse the brake fluid, no need to waste 2 gallons. I usually power bleed the system til the fluid comes out clear, then keep reusing the fliud.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Sounds like your on the right track, there's a chance the brakes will get better on their own. Sometimes the bubbles will work back through the master cylinder. Once your system flushes clean, you can reuse the brake fluid, no need to waste 2 gallons. I usually power bleed the system til the fluid comes out clear, then keep reusing the fliud.
yeah ive heard of that but the fliud is cheap enough and I was using the same bottle so it was dirty. I guess better safe than sorry. You can buy it in a gallon at auto zone.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
No my brake light never came on. Here is some advice, it's from the FSM so I know people will say it's wrong but here goes

ignition off, press brakes more than 40 times
turn key to "on" position, listen for brake booster to turn off w/in 40 seconds
if it does not turn off w/in 40 secs re-do

Bleeding procedure
when bleeding use a clear tube to see bubbles/ no bubbles in fluid
bleed right front until no bubbles
bleed left front until no bubles
Bleed rear left and right (it didn't say which side so I did both at the same time, the left had 1.6 million tiny bubbles while the right had a few)
oh also the master cylinder has lines for each wheel so I guess that's why you can start up front.

I ran through a total of 2 gallons of fluid doing this job (total, before and after the FSM way)

I finally got it to feel like a brake pedal again, and it stops well. I went on a trip this weekend with it and it did really well. Still not as firm as my car so I might take it in when I get more $$$ to waste.

Let me know if you need more from the FSM on this matter

Oh one more thing did you let the master cylinder run out of fluid or go below the "low" level at any time?
hmm..i just did my rear axles + new shoes and rebleed..and the pedal still feels a bit mush too. stops well though. i was also under the impression of doing furthest to closest when bleeding (was what my other manuals say)...maybe i'll do it as the fsm says.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom_mag
Being a mechanic is the most thankless job in the world. I used to be a Toyota mechanic for about 6 months before I realized that it was a lot easier to get a 4 year degree than to be an auto mechanic. I give you props for putting up with all the crap mechanics have to take. Personally, if I can't figure out a problem and a mechanic gives me a good tip, I will give him a tip $$$ for his knowledge. They say doctors and mechanics are alike, neither one of them know what they are doing. But I like mechanics more because they give free advice. A doctor will charge you 100 bucks for advice.
thanks, yea and after the doctor charges you 100 bucks, hell stick his finger in your butt. Us toy techs wont do that. lol But I like it and thats all that counts. I just like the challenge
Old 01-06-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 86SR522REEFI
thanks, yea and after the doctor charges you 100 bucks, hell stick his finger in your butt. Us toy techs wont do that. lol But I like it and thats all that counts. I just like the challenge
umm I'm not that kind of doctor