Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blown engine woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Blown engine woes

I few months ago I bought my 95 4Runner… One month after I bought it I hydrolocked my engine. I purchased a new engine for $3,400 from Power Pro Engines. One month after I bought the engine I finally got it installed. I started it up and it sounded kinda funny so I took it to my local mechanic. The next day he told me I would need a new engine. I spoke with power pro and they advised me that I need to remove my engine and send it to them to check it out. My engine has a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and I got 0 miles out of it and less than 1 min on time. So I will be pulling the engine soon and I need your help. My book told me that I had to remove the engine and trans together, so we did that the first time and messed up some stuff. I’ve been told that I don’t need to pull the trans so I need to know how to do it…. Any one done this? I have the 3.0 3vze with automatic trans.

I’m beginning to not like Toyota. :cry:

Here are my other threads with pics and stuff.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-engine-got-put-today-29745/
Old 04-07-2004, 05:08 PM

It's not too hard if you can unloosen the bolts on the crossover pipe and move it out of the way. I personally took the heads off to give me more space, but I'm sure you can get the engine out intact if you can get to the Transmission Bolts.

It's real easy if you have the heads off.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power Pro Engines better be giving you some money back if it is their faulty manufacturing!!!
Yes, you just need to get at the tranny bolts and undo the tourque converter to get it out.
Hang in there man, I know things look grim but it is a learning process.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Power Pro Engines better be giving you some money back if it is their faulty manufacturing!!!
Yes, you just need to get at the tranny bolts and undo the tourque converter to get it out.
Hang in there man, I know things look grim but it is a learning process.
How many times do I have to learn though?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

i would be pretty upset, i dont see how some compensation is NOT in order. i was just curious what is wrong with it, did the mechanic give you some details?

g/l, hey its nothing you havent done already
Old 04-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

I personaly would have a talk to a laywer if they didn't compensate you.. The hard thing is to prove you have not driven it for the last month.. As to the tranny, ann you need to do is to unbolt the bellhousing bolts and take the tranny lower shield cover off the bellhousing, then remove the bolts that hold the flexplate to the torque converter. It will slide right out. You do not need to remove the exhaust crossover, it just makes it eaiser to do the job. I have never taken off the crossover while the motor is still in the truck

Here is a photo showing the tranny still in the truck and it is hard to see, but the crossover is still on the motor too..

Old 04-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

I had a similar issue when I did my "swap". The first engine was a dud...unfortunately on the receipt that I signed in nice small print...it said labor is not coverd if part is bad. Sucks...but not much I could do. Look into it though...they guy who sold it to me felt bad and gave me a deal on other parts.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:54 AM

Before you go pulling this engine and crating it up to send off for an inspection, make sure the engine is bad. All you've said is that your mechanic told you you need a new engine. Why does he say that? Consider getting a second opinion of that. If on a second examination you get the same "need a new engine" start talking with Power Pro about having a local rep examine it as opposed to spending the shipping costs.

There's a lot more to this story then is being mentioned so far.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Designsbyme
How many times do I have to learn though?
I meant learning process on the engine tranny separation not a poorly remanufactured engine.
I am sorry it is not going as smoothly as planned, just keep the spirits up!

Now can you elaborate further on why the mechanic said it was bad?
What noises made it sound like it was running funny?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-08-2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:19 AM

The engine knocks on the lower left side. When you press on the gas the engine shakes. Lexutech told me it was most likley a rod spining arroung in there. As far as Power Pro goes, they have a place no more than 10 miles from my truck so I will be taking it there myself. My buddy and I will be taking it to lexutech and letting them look at it before we take it to power pro. I just hope they don't give me the run around, I can't afford another engine.

Oh yeah, I bought a suspension lift from 4wheel parts, I told them my situation and asked them if I could bring it back, they said sorry. So looks like I'll have a lifted truck with no engine. LOL, at least I have my motorcycle to get arround.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:35 AM

Hello,
My engine had about that same noise when she went. Took a big dump on the road and lost all of its oil and most of its coolant. Waited around for a good month researched my options and the only conclusion I came up with was the 3.4L swap. Two reasons, they dont make the 3.0L block anymore so you will have to either pay alot of money and invest in a new block, (Toyota quoted me 3000), or hone the old one and you still have a piece of crap block that has a good many miles on it. Parts are extremely hard to find and if its anything like mine everything is old and rusted off. I have a 90 4runner auto-everything, and can feel your pain with thinking only people with manual trans have done it. Not now. I am posting plenty of info with a full tech write up on the swap so if you want to wait have about 3months you want to decide or make up your mind of what to do, my swap should be done by then. Write if you need any info or advice. Also check out my swap on off-road.com I have the same screen name. Or just do a search on 3.4L swap.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:06 AM

Sorry to Hijack....but a quick question for bh4runner..does your 4runner have a tach, cruise and A/C? If it does, how did you get past the tach, A/C and the cruise control?
From what I've read, the 2nd gen uses a negative pulse to make the tach, cruise and A/C work. Where as the 3rd gen's use a posotive pulse.

I've been reading up a lot about this swap and found that those 3 things seem to be the largest obstacle.
Thanks!

Last edited by slowyota; 04-09-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 AM

Reply to your questions

Have not ran across the wiring part yet. Figured I would get the complicated, stuff out of the way then worry about the electronics of the comp. If this is the case a simple logic board will work or I am currently looking now at inline logic converters simply, you need to change the wave form to this _-_ to -_- really easy. In case you need further explainations, write.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bh4runner
Have not ran across the wiring part yet. Figured I would get the complicated, stuff out of the way then worry about the electronics of the comp. If this is the case a simple logic board will work or I am currently looking now at inline logic converters simply, you need to change the wave form to this _-_ to -_- really easy. In case you need further explainations, write.
You should do a writeup on the wiring because for most people that is the tough part.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:27 AM

Well, I got my new engine out yesterday and took it in for inspection. We will see what happens in a few days. I have pictures but Fed ex lost my laptop so I am waiting on my replacement.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Designsbyme
Well, I got my new engine out yesterday and took it in for inspection. We will see what happens in a few days. I have pictures but Fed ex lost my laptop so I am waiting on my replacement.
You must be having some really bad luck.

Did you take the motor out? Did they take it out? Did they pay to have it taken out?

I think they should be responsible for all expenses resulting from their screw up.

Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Also, we're getting together a TX 4ROC. So go check out the 4ROC section.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:19 PM

I took it out. They've payed nothing so far.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Don't they test those engines before they are sold? Maybe only some companies do that.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:13 AM

Thats a total bummer man. You were so close to being done. I was ready to do back out to 360 for our little challenge. Did you guys ever post the photos of Zach's 4runner lift install? He picked up a new tire that Monday after the Sunday debacle.

Do you think the engine malfunction had anything to do with the elusive bolt?

I hope everything works out. I'd be glad to help turn a few bolts for your lift install, naturally while drinking heavily.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn I hear your pain. It's taken me about 2 month's to save up for parts to rebuild my engine. I start rebuilding it tomorrow since I have a engine hoist and stand now.
Goodluck I hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: Blown engine woes