Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

bike rack or hitch opinions/advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gapguy
Hitch mount racks that swing away are the BEST you can get if you dont want them up top. I used to have a Thule fold down, and I hated it. It was impossible to actually fold it down with bikes on it. However, you would be looking at $300+.
Not true the ones from WeatherTech or BVG or below $300. Just don't get the Yakima or Thule hitch racks. I've tried them both and they blow and they cost an arm and a leg. Again, like gapguy says it is up to you. Go to REI (if you have one near by), they carry a good variety of racks and they can help you try them out.

Here are the features:

The BVG XR2 Revolution swing-away receiver hitch rack package is like nothing else on the market. Its heavy duty 2 3/8 in. steel tubing is e-coated prior to powder coating to prevent nicks, chips and scratches while providing years of use in the elements. The bikes can be locked to the rack and the rack to the vehicle.

* Revolution accommodates 2 bicycles on a "swing-away" base in a 2 in. recevier hitch
* Trigger release allows rack to effortlessly swing-away with the bikes on or off of the rack
* Features an Anti-Wobble device with pads and straps to protect bikes and limit their motion
* Includes a locking top plate to lock bike frames to the rack
* The rack includes an anti-wobble hitch bolt and locking cover for theft resistance
* Adjustable top clamp plate fits any top tube diameter
* Carry up to 4 bikes with the optional 2 bike add-on
* Ski attachment available
Old 03-27-2004, 08:35 AM

I used to have a Thule Boat/Kayak haluler on top. They stick up pretty high forgot they were on. Drove into the garage. Snap the factory crossbar right off and slightly dented the garage door. Point is if you have anything on top, you will drive into the garage one day. IMO, Roof mounted racks are meant for sedans. SUVs are better off with hitch mounted.

I do have to admit the roof mounted ones do look cooler.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:12 AM

ok i'm going to the local bike store tomorrow and seems like the way to go is the swing away hitch

but now i'm not sure which brand to get since some seem to be happy with yakima/thule, while others don't think they are worth it.

that's just democracy !
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 AM

i vote for the roof rack. i have a thule on my subaru and a yakima on my 4runner. they can be expensive, but i'm lucky that my brother works at a bike shop, so i get everything at cost. after owning both brands, i recommend yakima. both thule and yakima are very well built and woth the money, but i think the yakima is an extra notch better than the thule.

Originally Posted by Yotabozo
rack:
- good:
* out of the way in the back and have easy access to trunk
* holds the bike by the fork, the place where it's made to handle the stress. holding the bike elsewhere is just asking for truouble
* better locking mechanisms than i've seen on hitch type mounts
* should cost less because you mention you have a thule box, that means you put down the inital investment of feet and load bars, all you need is the velovise now.

- bad:
* can't park in garage with bike on top
* hard to lift bike up that high? easy to scratch paint?
* can't use my thule cargo box at the same time
* have to remove front bike tire
-it's not hard to lift the bike up that high, i've never stracthed my truck or car in the many years i've hauled my bikes
-on my subaru i can use two bike mounts and hte cargo box all at the same time, it works pretty well, on my 4runner i use two bike mounts and the load warrier basket, again no issues there. everything fits.

hitch:
- good:
* easy on/off of bikes
* no need to remove front bike tire
- can't think of any other good things about a hitch. but loading on the roof isn't much harder, and as i said above, it's better to mount the bike by the fork rather htan clamping on the tubes.

- bad:
* stability?
* extrudes out the back too far?
* can't open back door
* have to worry about the drooling cretins in the pickup truck behind you tailgating. it might not be as big of an issue for you, but my bike cost more than my truck, i like having it out of the way.

EDIT: also, don't worry about accidentally driving into your garage. i just hide my garage door opener in the back of the truck, that way i need to get out to open the garage when i have the bikes on. then i remember that the bikes are up there.

Last edited by mike_d; 03-29-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:36 AM

i was gonna check out some hitches but had a very basic question.

bought my 01 4runner used and it already had a Reese hitch on it, not sure if it was installed by the dealer or aftermarket...

but i'm trying to figure out how to tell if it's a 2in or 1.25in receiver since I understand there's two sizes...i'm not sure what to measure

sorry for an easy question
Old 04-03-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yotabozo
i was gonna check out some hitches but had a very basic question.

bought my 01 4runner used and it already had a Reese hitch on it, not sure if it was installed by the dealer or aftermarket...

but i'm trying to figure out how to tell if it's a 2in or 1.25in receiver since I understand there's two sizes...i'm not sure what to measure

sorry for an easy question
Just measure the width of the square. It's not a diagonal measure.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

The square hole in the hitch shows the size, just measure one side of the square and that should ive you the size. Basically if you look athem you normally see the big one 2" and the small one 1.25". Look at other cars and you will spot the difference immediately. One easy way of doing it, is if you can put your hand around it easily it is 1.25, if you just dont make or just make it is normally 2", unless you play in the NBA and have huge hands.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:32 AM

thanks again guys, i thought it was a bit odd when the guy at the REI store told me is was the diagonal measure.....since mine was well over 2"

since it's just the width, mine is indeed the 2" hitch...

also, my little hands won't fit around them either