Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best way to accelerate...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 22mr2
Automatics always have less power and less fuel economy than a standard because in a standard there is a direct link to the gears through the clutch. In an automatic it has to go through the torque convertor, which works on the principle of hydraulics which does suck up some horsepower and a lil extra gas to run.
The best way to jump off the line all depends on your automatic trans, although most seem to jump best when manually shifted from 1,2,d,od.
A rolling start may be second gear, but from a dead stop all automatics would start in first gear
"Always" that is a bold statement. New Auto's have lock up torque converter, you might want to look at EPA estimates for something like new Tacoma's they get better MPG in AUTO then they do in STICK. You need to be careful with blanket statements, they will almost always get you in trouble.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dragoon
Well, I'm not planning to race anything, but it sucks when you reach 60 miles in 12 seconds... While a manual tranny does that in 7 secs. And concerning the wear on tranny... I'm not a speed-freak, racing my truck all day long. I might want to race a bit once in a week, but when I want to do that, I want to feel some power.. Considering Toyota build quality, I doubt that that kind of handling will do any harm to this truck in the nearest future.

Conserning driving it offroad - if I wanted to have a city truck - I would have bought QX4 or something of that sort. I'm not planning to stay only on road with a 4Runner and rear diff lock

put the bong down kid.

you want a sports car get a sports car. the 4runner is going to flip you over in a ditch and break your back if you run it like it sounds like you want to run it. it is not a sports car. it is too tall and narrow and doesn't have the road-holding bits to drive it fast and keep it planted. maybe from 2004 onward it is more car like but a 3rd gen is an offroad vehicle with offroad smarts, not sports-car smarts. it has all the power you need to merge on the interstate, or allow you drive like as ass.

you wanna see a 4runner in super action then watch offroad videos. otherwise you just drive them smartly and in control on the street.

for you
I suggest starting with a big wheel, then working your way up to a bicycle.
then a yugo till you get the hang of how things work in the real world
Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 AM

You could always throw it in 4WD, I wouldn't recommend a 1/4 mile race but you'll probably get across intersections faster than anyone else.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
put the bong down kid.

you want a sports car get a sports car. the 4runner is going to flip you over in a ditch and break your back if you run it like it sounds like you want to run it. it is not a sports car. it is too tall and narrow and doesn't have the road-holding bits to drive it fast and keep it planted. maybe from 2004 onward it is more car like but a 3rd gen is an offroad vehicle with offroad smarts, not sports-car smarts. it has all the power you need to merge on the interstate, or allow you drive like as ass.

you wanna see a 4runner in super action then watch offroad videos. otherwise you just drive them smartly and in control on the street.

for you
Take it easy. He was asking a question about how to best use his auto tranny and not learn the hard way. We all had to start somewhere.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 AM

okay, do me a favor.

take your 3.4L equipped truck, drive it around. Then find someone who has a 3.0L auto 4runner and drive that around. then get back into YOUR 4runner and be happy with what you have.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
okay, do me a favor.

take your 3.4L equipped truck, drive it around. Then find someone who has a 3.0L auto 4runner and drive that around. then get back into YOUR 4runner and be happy with what you have.
Well said
lol.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba
Well said
lol.
x2
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
put the bong down kid.

for you
First of all, I'm no kid for you. I'll be quite amazed if you turn out to be older then me.

Second, it seems that the word "race" messes things up.. I doubt that by "racing" 60 or even 100 miles an hour on a straight road somebody can get hurt. I'm not stupid to corner on those speeds with a truck. I just want my car to perform to it's best, that's it.

Seeing things your way means people at TRD should get fired.

As to others, thanks for your help and useful comments!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Just so everyone knows, how old are you then ?

Go on, Prove your the koolest and oldest web wheeler here why dont ya
Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 AM

Lol, you people are amazing. I'm 23. I'm not proving anything, I just asked a simple question. Is it so hard to answer?

Here, I'll ask you another one: is it worth swapping an auto transmition for a manual one?

Try answering that without irritation.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get a 4500RPM stall converter! that should get you of the line in a timely manner.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM

if you feel you have the skills then go for it. do some searching, many people have done it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 AM

First of all, I'm no kid for you. I'll be quite amazed if you turn out to be older then me.

Second, it seems that the word "race" messes things up.. I doubt that by "racing" 60 or even 100 miles an hour on a straight road somebody can get hurt. I'm not stupid to corner on those speeds with a truck. I just want my car to perform to it's best, that's it.

Seeing things your way means people at TRD should get fired.

As to others, thanks for your help and useful comments!
sorry about stuff like that people on here get irritated when someone is trying to "race"or "rally" their toyota cause thats not what theyre made for. i think your first post just came across that way so dont worry about it.
bigballsmcfalls: cant we all just try and help eachother out without being an ass about it?
edit: oh and btw dragoon, try not to push that motor too hard or it wont last long trust me

Last edited by algranger; 10-15-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Best way to accelerate is to press the pedal ever so slightly.. keep it under 2000rpm at all times if possible.

Waitaminute..I just hate the current gas prices!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Dragoon, you've admitted having little experience or knowledge concerning vehicles. Doing an Auto to Manual transmission swap isn't like changing spark plugs. Unless you're handing the keys to a mechanic and paying to have it done...there's a healthy amount of work and even some mild fabricating needed in most situations.

I suggest you search and read the many threads on the topic.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM

904runner- that's a very good way to put it.

Also, if you want to go fast in a toyota, get a mid '90s Supra. Or get a 2wd toy p/u and put a small block V8 in it. Assuming money is not a factor. I guess in that case, get a Mclaren or F40 or whatever the hottest exotic out there is.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 AM

this is how to get off the line as fast as possible with a any automatic. excluding auto's with a trans brake.

1. drop shifter into low or 1st or whatever it says.

2. mash brake pedal hard.

3. keep pushing your throttle down ever so slightly until your 4 runner wants to move forward, or starts to slip a tire.

4. hold pedals there until you are ready, then let off the brakes and stab the throttle at the same time.

that will get you the best launch and fastest eta.

and don't worry about the haters.. there everywhere

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 10-15-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Dragoon, you've admitted having little experience or knowledge concerning vehicles. Doing an Auto to Manual transmission swap isn't like changing spark plugs. Unless you're handing the keys to a mechanic and paying to have it done...there's a healthy amount of work and even some mild fabricating needed in most situations.

I suggest you search and read the many threads on the topic.
Well, I guess it'll be more healthy for me just to enjoy this vehicle as it is. It's a great truck, no complaints, but I always want to get something more out of things I own...

I'll stay with the stock for now and try to take good care of it, so that it resells at a good price I'm beginning to understand that I'll need 2 vehicles - one for the city and another for hardcore offroading. This runner is stuck in the middle...

Thanks for your replies!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm beginning to understand that I'll need 2 vehicles - one for the city and another for hardcore offroading. This runner is stuck in the middle...
Bingo... hard to find a vehicle that can do it all without some compromise at one end or the other.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Quick Reply: Best way to accelerate...