Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone use " Equal" in their tires instead of Lead weights ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
you can do the same with water but it's not recommended.
Maybe water mixed with anti-freeze. I can just picture a big chunk of ice bouncing around in there.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Maybe water mixed with anti-freeze. I can just picture a big chunk of ice bouncing around in there.
Wooops! I live in the south so we don't worry much about ice, you caught me on that though lol. I was just thinking from my steering and suspension instructor's experiences with tires and thought it would be good to share it although I wouldnt recommend it to you guys in sub zero temps.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Has anyone here tried lead shot or BBs?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run Golf balls in my TSL's, works great. Not perfect, but its smooth till 70 mph. Next set of tires i get will be ballanced with BB's, they spread the weight better than the golf balls.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

I'm thinking the lead shot would work better because it is less bouncy and softer. Smaller the better like #8 or so.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe you could find some lead shot small enough to get through the valve stem. It sure is nice being able to put the stuff in without breaking the bead on the tire. Sand would work too as long as you aired up with CO2 or argon or some other dry gas.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:33 AM

why would you need co2 or something else with sand? I'm not picking this up as to why you'd need it... a quick explanation would help.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Water or moisture in the tire could cause the sand to clump together. I don't know it may not be a problem once the tire gets warmed up. They say that the Equal being a polymer won't clump up if it gets wet. I'm airing up with CO2 just in case.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-02-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rick F.
Using "Equal" to balance tires... SWEET!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:04 AM

If using sand or some other powder that becomes clumpy with moisture, could you not just add some dessicant beads in there with it? Should be readily available in science catalogs or packs of beef jerky, then you don't have to worry about using inert gases or any of that stuff. I guess it would just depend on how much you air up/down your tires.

"so if you like to joke around then prepare for da ˟˟˟˟˟"

You're priceless.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:16 AM

I have some 34" LTB's and wonder if I should give this a try. My truck is so light in the rear I can feel them. They have been balanced twice and are fine but I think this may make them better. Keep up the good info. I was looking at the center.....something, thingy with the steel balls in it but I like this better.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

I test drove mine and everything seems very smooth. It wasn't really very out of balance before though, just a slight shake in the wheel. The real test would come if I was to throw off a weight. I thought about purposely adding some weight on the rim just to get it way out of balance and test it.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by GRNTACO
I have some 34" LTB's and wonder if I should give this a try. My truck is so light in the rear I can feel them. They have been balanced twice and are fine but I think this may make them better. Keep up the good info. I was looking at the center.....something, thingy with the steel balls in it but I like this better.
If mine were okay to start with, I wouldn't mess them. Too much effort balancing tires on these trucks seems to be more trouble than it worth. I've adopted a 'good enough is fine' attitude at this point.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 PM

I think it's funny all the foolios with street yotas talking smack as if they know how to wheel ! Yeah I only have 22 posts, here, I have many other places, goof !

Nice pic of your sister !!!, seagull and wow , that must be one of those real wheelers ya got there huh Racer, ha ha ha , LOL SFB , SSOE !!! ya think your's can handle that trail your on , hehe hehe heh , ˟˟˟˟˟ some one else !!!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Digger, you have a PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sand in tire. At low speeds, whatever you put in the tire is gonna slide around in the tire until the tire is rotating fast enough to force it out against the rim. Doesn't seem like the best redneck engineering idea I've ever heard. You've heard of sandpaper and vibratory tumblers. Not exactly what I want in my tires for 40K miles.

Re: Lead shot. Poisonous. And you're gonna expose yourself and some unsuspecting tire guy to lead dust when you open it back up.

I do like the sound of "Equal" though. Non-toxic put it in and forget about it. Seem to have a balance problem on the '99 with it's 265's.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Well after driving about 170 miles yesterday with the Equal in, I'm not as happy with it now. There seems to be some speeds and conditions (like 40-50 mph on bumpy roads) where it actually seems to make the wheels shimmy more. Maybe at those lower speeds and hitting bumps it doesn't get moved back into position quick enough? The stuff is mainly sold to long-haul truckers around here, and they would be mostly concerned with freeway speeds.

I agree the sand was a bad idea, but I'm not convinced of the danger of the lead shot. I've spend years and years (USPSA competition) reloading and flinging the stuff down-range at the rate of 10,000-15,000 rounds a year and no lead poisoning yet. Just have to wash your hands good after handling lead. It is so heavy I just can't see it being an inhalation problem unless it is vaporized. But I could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
I'm thinking the lead shot would work better because it is less bouncy and softer. Smaller the better like #8 or so.
No dont use my favorite shot size to use on the sporting clays course, use something completely useless like 9 shot. (Poking fun at skeet shooters and it's smaller in diameter than 8s.) 25lb bags of #9 shot can be found at your local gun club and it usually sells for around 18-20 bux a bag. Opt for chilled as you wont need the harder, 5% antimony, magnum shot.

Digger - grow up. Post count doesnt mean ˟˟˟˟˟, so quit showing your ass.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-03-2005 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 AM

Yotatech.com is sending out this email in regards to events pertaining to the the post Anyone use " Equal" in their tires instead of Lead weights ??? .

Yotatech.com will NOT tolerate flaming in any sense of the word on our server. This means on the boards or in PM's. Flaming = anything derogatory, offensive (racial, sexist, etc) or threatening, and also includes egging people on. We have also received several complaints from members.

After reviewing recent events regarding the post (indicated above) we have decided that the parties involved will get a first and final warning. If you are reading this then you are involved and this is to be considered your warning. If we see problems with this again YOUR ACCESS TO YOTATECH.COM WILL BE REMOVED, no exceptions..
Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

I guess we won't be seeing you anymore Digger. It been real, see ya bye, don't let the door hit ya.

Quick Reply: Anyone use " Equal" in their tires instead of Lead weights ???