Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Yota is history

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey phil!

glad to hear you and your dad are both doing better. it is simply amazing that a person was removed from the remains of that truck! i can speak firsthand as to the work the emergency and icu people do for those seriously injured, they work miracles. my g/f and i wish your dad a speedy recovery and you take care of yourself in the process. im not sure how the food is at the hospital your dad is in, take it from me, bring him as much home cooking as you can! its a damn site better than what they serve there! all the best, lee & donna.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man... sorry to hear about that... but glad your dad is ok!!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:17 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
I was saddened to hear of the accident,but glad to hear he's ok!!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Thanks guys. It means a lot.

Happened noonish Friday the 10th, on highway 30 about 10 miles from Astoria Oregon. Blind curve, 45 mph or so when he hit.

Bob, oh yes broken, nearly everything. Broken sternum, ribs broken off from sides of sternum, ribs broken up badly all over in general, broken collarbone, broken bones in face all the way across, broken nose, broken right knee, various bone scrapes, pieces of the dash had to be surgically removed from both legs. He could not breathe on his own, but today they are getting him off the ventilator. Good thing he was still a very active outdoors type, and a big strong guy, even at his age. (67) He will recover. Amazing what they can do, and the people who work in ICU at Legacy Emanuel in Portland are incredible. They even took good care of me all week.
Im happy he made it out alive !
Old 01-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

4RUNR, sorry if I took your comment wrong. It just sounded like it was in bad taste. I mean, a large chunk of the members here are driving "old" trucks. That's what owning a Toy is all about.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

I understood what 4RUNR was saying but you guys are being harsh. There's still people driving older cars with just lap belts and with just those you probably will get hurt seriously or die;if I owned an oldie but a goodie I would update the belts at the very least since older cars in general obviously have their down sides and in 30 years people will be saying how unsafe cars of today are.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:47 AM
lee
Contributing Member

sure, but then again, some cars today are not as well built as 20 year old trucks.

im just glad his father's OK.. too bad he got so hurt. good luck.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Thanks guys. It means a lot.

Happened noonish Friday the 10th, on highway 30 about 10 miles from Astoria Oregon. Blind curve, 45 mph or so when he hit.

Bob, oh yes broken, nearly everything. Broken sternum, ribs broken off from sides of sternum, ribs broken up badly all over in general, broken collarbone, broken bones in face all the way across, broken nose, broken right knee, various bone scrapes, pieces of the dash had to be surgically removed from both legs. He could not breathe on his own, but today they are getting him off the ventilator. Good thing he was still a very active outdoors type, and a big strong guy, even at his age. (67) He will recover. Amazing what they can do, and the people who work in ICU at Legacy Emanuel in Portland are incredible. They even took good care of me all week.
I have probably been on that road at least once but I can't recall it. Thoes truck drivers drive like maniacs in this state. They drive faster than any other car on the road over Mt. Hood. I got passed by two in December last yea in the snow/gravle. Yea, passed! By two. A friend of mine was in a wreck on santiam and he is collecting around 1 millon dollars from the company for neglagent driving on snow and injuries and yata yata.

Anyway, best wishes on his recovery. Hope he ends up good as new a year or two down the road.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
sure, but then again, some cars today are not as well built as 20 year old trucks.
Alot also depends on what you hit as in a '04 Camry hitting a '67 Dodge would be just a matter of physics and with all these behemoth SUVs all over our 4Runners might be like the Camry.
With large vehicles hitting smaller vehicles build quality or safety features might just go out the window. (hehe,I'm punny)
Old 01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

wow! good thing he was in a toy

If he'd been in a NA built POS he'd never have made it, Here's hoping he makes a good recovery it will take a while but he' will get back. keep his spirits up as best you can (and yours too) and it will make all the difference. Ditto the thoughts about home cookin'. I'd stick to light soups for the first while his system won';t be able to take anything heavy. Check with the doc's first. Cheers Aviator
Old 01-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Looks almost identical to this:
http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle.../96004_2_4.jpg

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle...tml/96004.htm#
Old 01-14-2005, 07:55 PM

You know that when those old steel 80's trucks cave in in the front end that it was a serious collision. Usually in minor collisions they barely have any damage!

Glad to hear your dad's still alive. I hope he makes a speedy recovery!
Old 01-15-2005, 05:25 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
The pic is somewhat misleading too. It was a very straight on hit. Notice the Toyota emblem. There was a vertical steel piece on the container he hit, and it hit dead center on the truck (the emblem and the hood show this) but the driver side folded inward much more than the pass side.

I took a bunch of pics, and there are some things that really amazed me. The airbox is nearly touching the cruise servo (should be like 18" away) The hump under the console and the console itself are broken-backed (down in the middle and up and the front and rear ends,) the floor of the truck bend downward, the dash and steering column folded up into the windshield, the cab buckled across the floor and across the roof. (The sunroof didn't break!) The frame bent like a Z (and broke partially) in two places, on either side of the engine and on either side right where the bed and cab come together. The front axle is even bent...

All in all, looks like the designed-in crush zones absorbed and dissapated a ton of energy. Astounding. Thanks Toyota!
Attached Thumbnails Another Yota is history-p1110048sm.jpg   Another Yota is history-p1110044sm.jpg  
Old 01-15-2005, 05:32 PM

and this one shows how the driver side front folded inward.

Anyway, my father is stable and will recover. They did a lot of work and will be taking him off the respirator soon. They took him off it once but it was too hard for him.

Thanks for all the kind words. It was a rough week and it really helped.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Another Yota is history-p1110039sm.jpg  
Old 01-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

i know it's been said a lot, but glad to hear he made it out ok.

-Russell
Old 01-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

I hope you feel like a jack ass. Whoever said its not smart to drive a 20year old truck... hmmm mines only 19 years old..

I would be willing to bet that a newer car would not have faired any better than that old truck. Only thing not smart in this post is someone who thinks their new truck is rolled over semi proof.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
I hope you feel like a jack ass. Whoever said its not smart to drive a 20year old truck... hmmm mines only 19 years old..
I know I was the first one to comment on this, but I apologized, realizing that maybe I took it the wrong way, and also realized that this might not be the thread to post my feelings in.

Once again Flamedx4, glad to hear your dad's doing better!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jovis
I know I was the first one to comment on this, but I apologized, realizing that maybe I took it the wrong way, and also realized that this might not be the thread to post my feelings in.

Once again Flamedx4, glad to hear your dad's doing better!
Well I am not appologizing. It was a jack ass thing to say to someone whoes dad was seriously hurt. Furthmore it was moronic to think a newer car could make that much of a differenct hitting a freaking semi at highway speeds.
I dont care if his old man was driving a riding lawn mower down the middle of the highway when it happened - still not cool to comment on the mans intelligence after serious accident.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:46 AM

Here's what it looked like in its day:
Attached Thumbnails Another Yota is history-raystruck01sm.jpg  
Old 01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy

Another Yota takes one for the team....I, for one, prefer the older toys, but thats another thread. Glad he is gonna be O.K. Flamed. Take care....

Quick Reply: Another Yota is history