Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amsoil vs. TRD (air filter)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
I use a K&N air filter (let the flames commence! )
I use Castrol Syntec full synthetic, and change every 3K. I WAS using the Fram PH8A oil filter but after reading This oil filter study I have decided to immediately swap out my Radioactive Orange Can of Death for a Pure One filter. What really got to me was teh email teh guy doing the study got from an engineer on the Fram line said about their filters. There's a link on there to the email. I'll stick with the Syntec oil, but a new filter is definately in order! I use the 20W-50 weight because of the heat down here. The motor sure seems to like it, better than anything else I've run it so far, anyway...
Old 07-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krasher
Amsoil IS full synthetic. To add info, 25k OR 1 year. Whichever is first. Just change the oil filter at 12.5K or 6 months.

i run the 0w30 sever duty and love it. Both my limited and the wife's 99 get it. i change the filter every 6months and the oil every 12. I never drive 12k in 6 months.

I run the Amsoil air filter b/c it does a good job at filtration and costs $30 (reusable)--I prefer re-use/ re-charge. Less waste too
Old 07-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I'm not sure I could go that long without changing my oil...I'm accustomed to changing to it every 3-5k, that just seems too long to me...

I'm using Mobil 1 Full Syn 5W30 and I just change it every 3k usually...I figure $15 bucks every 3k to ensure that I've got clean oil and a healthy engine is not really too big of an expense.

Fink
I understand how hard it is to break a cycle that you've grown accustomed too but even I let my synthetic go for 7500 miles and it's still quite clean so you really should do your self a favor and stretch out the oil change intervals since that's sort of why you use synthetic and not dino oil. New synthetics have been proven over and over to at least double the traditional 3k mile changes with zero breakdown.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I'm not sure I could go that long without changing my oil...I'm accustomed to changing to it every 3-5k, that just seems too long to me...

I'm using Mobil 1 Full Syn 5W30 and I just change it every 3k usually...I figure $15 bucks every 3k to ensure that I've got clean oil and a healthy engine is not really too big of an expense.

Fink

$15 for 5-6 quarts? It ain't synthetic or your getting a helluva deal.
3k is a rediculous OCI for synthetic oil. Seriously. I know its hard to break habits. Trust the engineering going into today's synthetics. Chances are you got the 3k OIC from your dad. I did. Well, this isn't dad's oil, nor his car. Generationally speaking, of course. If you don't trust your synthetic oil and that is doing its job, get an analysis done on it after 5k, 10k, even 15k on most synthetics. They hold up extremely well. This will give you the piece of mind you are looking for. I do about 20k a year on my Jetta TDI and have a OCI of 10k(different Amsoil blend suited for diesels). I drive about 15k a year on my Taco. I'm looking at 1 OC on the Taco a year and 2 on the Jetta.
I'll take that extra savings and use it towards the ever inflating price of go-go juice.

As stated earlier, head over to bobistheoilguy.com. EXCELLENT repository of info regarding OCIs, synthetic vs. dino, etc.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:58 PM

I have seen the Amsoil air filters and they are just the same foam filters that HKS and many other Japanese performance companies use. I am just basing this on personal experience. The foam filters suck. At first they flow better than the kan type. Its because the holes in the foam are larger as you could observe when you hold it to the light. But once dirt gets into the foam. You are practically ÅÅÅÅ out of luck. Even if you try to clean them you can never get rid of ALL the dirt because there is so many little crevices in the foam filters. After a awhile the little crevices get filled with so much dirt and dust you can't do anything but toss it. Same goes for the kan type filters also, but they wont clog and trap dust in hard to reach crevices like foam. For some reason the foam filters get clogged super quick. This is from my experience with my turboed 400 hp Civic. Here is my last rant about synthetic oil vs dinosaur oil. Yes, its true the synthetic oil last longer than dinosaur conventional oil. But Amsoil tells you not to change every 3000 miles, but to do it every 25,000 miles. Did you guys forget that when there is combustion, there is other side effects like heat, moisture, and many other contaminants. All those contaminants are in your oil. Even a good oil filter gets pretty clogged up by 3000 miles. When the filter is clogged it just opens and lets unfiltered oil into your engine. What do you think unfitered oil filled with crap and metal pieces does to a motor? All engines are hard working beasts even synthetic oils get killed. Synthetic oils are far superior to conventional, but for 25000 I dont think so. Don't believe everything a product advertises, because most of the time its just that a ADVERTISEMENT GIMMICK. Amsoil is just another company that is trying to hit the mass market really big now. They use to claim that they are the little company that puts quality in all their batches of oil. Like the same small brewery beer, that makes small batches so their beer taste great. But that is just crap now, Amsoil is trying to mass produce just like all the other greedy oil companies. Pretty soon they will be in every shelf like Mobil and the rest. Amsoil is practically there already.I just had to stop the Amsoil loving in here. Maybe I hate Amsoil because I sell it at my store, I am an authorized distributor, but when Amsoil reps and people come around, they give you the biggest crock of crap lies about their products. They say they have the best oil on the market blah blah blah. Yeah thats why my Civic burned oil like crazy when I used their oil, and for some strange reason the oil burning stop when I switched back to Mobil 1. Sorry about the long rant. Remember this is only based on my personal experiences.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

krasher,

I get hooked up at the dealer here so thats why the price is so cheap. Sounds like I might ATLEAST be changing my interval to 5k lol, its gonna take a while to break my habits. And to be honest, I'm not real sure where I got my OCD about changing the oil every 3k...I guess it just feels right.

As far as the air filter goes...I just bought an OEM one, 10 bucks, can't go wrong there!

This is becoming a very good thread, lets keep it going with some more info...if nothing else, all my useless threads can be used as an information database for all the nOOb's!

Fink
Old 07-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, go at least 5K on the Mobil 1 Oil Change intervals.

As for the Amsoil comments, well, they have always served me well here in the desert over the past 3 years. The dust here is insane. In fact, we have something called "dust storms" which are really fun. Remember, if you don't oil the Amsoil right, you are going to get inferior filtration to what is intended. So oil it right and rest easy. Besides, if you are worried about airflow, just get a SC'r and cast your cares goodbye.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

My amsoil filter is in the basement. My MAF got a oily, and I didn't feel like screwing around with a MAF down the road. I ran the Amsoil for a while, but it seems mostly hype to me. I am running a paper filter again.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone try one of these from Jaos?

http://www.jaosusa.com/large.asp?catid=&theid=351

I run Amsoil, but agree with some of the others -- they do coat the MAF sensor with oil. I had to buy a new MAF sensor for my '99 4Runner with 50k Mi. Cleaning it with lectromotive wasn't a permanent fix.

One other beef I have with Amsoil air filters: They dont seat very well. Their design does not mate well with the factory airbox tension clips. There is nothing solid for the clips to push against. Just foam.