All 95-00 Tacoma Drivers Read This!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sucks that all those 3rz's and elockers are going to waste
Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 PM

How is the Value of your Trucks so good?

I went to Kelly Blue book and my 99 Taco TRD V6 manual with 90k miles is only worth 7.8k =/
Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 PM

Have a 95 Tacoma 3.4 SR5 with 420,000 kms, and it gets beat frequently and never washed and the frame is SOLID. Work in a bodyshop and there is absolutely no sign of corrosion within the frame or the body for that matter. Sounds like I should have bought one of the other ones!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 AM

Does anyone know if there has been any talk of Toyota extended this to include earlier year trucks? I have a 94 and even though i believe the frame to be strong it has a high amount of surface rust. There was a guy who worked with me that had to buy a new vehicle because his wouldn't pass inspection because of frame rust and his was a 93. This was awhile ago but it still stands to reason that alot of the earlier ones might have the same problem.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Well I received the news today. Toyota will be buying my black 1996 std cab 4x4 Taco back. It has 130,000mi and I am getting $7,500 for it. Time to take accessories off. Wheels, tires, cd player, speakers, MTX Thunderform Enclosure, reciever and toneau cover. Hopefully someone will want the stuff on Craigslist. I will keep everyone posted....
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM

Bye Bye Taco

Well apparently my 96 Tacoma is the first one on Vancouver Island BC Canada to be bought back through the Toyota Tacoma frame corrosion program. I just found out today. I have no idea what I will get for it, I am wondering what will happen with all of my stuff on it like 10k of after market goodies. It is a total shame the truck has only 170,000km on it and I just had a compression test done the motor is as good as it was out of the factory. I love this truck and have not seen one like it around here, at least Toyota will provide me with some funds to go towards a new truck. Its funny I am even pissed off that I just filled her up with a premium tank of gas. A little piece of me died today......

Last edited by Vicfire; 09-25-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vicfire
Well apparently my 96 Tacoma is the first one on Vancouver Island BC Canada to be bought back through the Toyota Tacoma frame corrosion program. I just found out today. I have no idea what I will get for it, I am wondering what will happen with all of my stuff on it like 10k of after market goodies. It is a total shame the truck has only 170,000km on it and I just had a compression test done the motor is as good as it was out of the factory. I love this truck and have not seen one like it around here, at least Toyota will provide me with some funds to go towards a new truck. Its funny I am even pissed off that I just filled her up with a premium tank of gas. A little piece of me died today......
It should still be at the dealership so you might want to go up there and ask if you could take some of the stuff off it.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, most guys down here have been stripping them before they turn them over.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM

What can I take off???

So far I have been getting the run around from Toyota as to what exactly I can take off of my Tacoma before it goes to the wrecker.
The dealership isn't letting me take my truck home (yet) for reasons that they can't explain. From my point of view, it is my truck and I should be able to take it home. I am stuck driving this corolla (nothing against family sedans) when I could be using up my full tank of gas and getting started on removing some parts. Does anyone know what Toyota will let you take out of the truck? Does the truck have to be able to drive? I have searched the vastness of the Internet and I have not had any luck.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Does the truck have to be able to drive?
Yes, thats what I've heard.

Here's more info than you could read in one day (83 pages so far):

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95993
Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

The dealership isn't letting me take my truck home (yet) for reasons that they can't explain. From my point of view, it is my truck and I should be able to take it home.
The problem is the truck has been deemed unsafe to drive. But that doesn't mean you can't take the truck, it is after all your truck. What it means is they can't let you DRIVE it off. You can however TOW it away, at least a block or 2, then drive it at your own risk. At least that's how it is here.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-29-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
The problem is the truck has been deemed unsafe to drive. But that doesn't mean you can't take the truck, it is after all your truck. What it means is they can't let you DRIVE it off. You can however TOW it away, at least a block or 2, then drive it at your own risk. At least that's how it is here.

Hmmmmmm, thanks for the info, time to call in a favour......
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM

pleasantly surprised

I received my offer today from Toyota for the buyback of my 96 Tacoma.
The offer is $15,200cad I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with the amount. After reading the info that the dealers get regarding the inspection process I believe they take into account the after market add-ons and include that into the buyback assessment. Well now its time to go shopping.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 PM

I have 2 friends that had their Tacomas bought back. My buddy bought one for 3K and was in the process of scraping all the rust and painting the frame with rust paint when I told him about the recall. He had a 97 with 124k, it failed and they gave him $18900 for it. CRAZY!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

How does one tell was there a cut off in the serial # that got good frames .

Being aware of these problems after having repaired several Tacoma Frames .

I just picked up a 2000 That from the vehicle history grew up at the New Jersey shore As of now the frame is excellent and I will be keeping a close eye on the frame.

I think I would rebuild this one rather then see it crushed.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM

well, I finally got my '98 tacoma inspected ~a week ago. . . .

Got a call from Toyota yesterday they are going to buy it back.

209K+ miles, one body panel ripped, rust on the hood, interior trashed and they are still giving me ~8700 for it!!

Needless to say I am a bit excited while pondering what to get next. . .

I am going to go back and check out to see what kind of deals folks are getting if they buy another Tacoma, but sadly I am actually looking at the nissan xterra as a serious option.

anyway, just figured I would let ya'll know.

BTW I was a member but lost access to the password reset email addy I used . . .

ohhh - wondering if they will allow me to take the cap and some other accessories off before they take it, any ideas?

-John
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
How does one tell was there a cut off in the serial # that got good frames .

Being aware of these problems after having repaired several Tacoma Frames .

I just picked up a 2000 That from the vehicle history grew up at the New Jersey shore As of now the frame is excellent and I will be keeping a close eye on the frame.

I think I would rebuild this one rather then see it crushed.
check this post out - [-]http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...html#post82768[/-]

try this one instead... http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...6&postcount=39

Last edited by letterboy; 03-05-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by letterboy

ohhh - wondering if they will allow me to take the cap and some other accessories off before they take it, any ideas?

-John
That should not be a problem. Just take them off if you still have the truck, if not ask the dealer for access to it so you can.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That should not be a problem. Just take them off if you still have the truck, if not ask the dealer for access to it so you can.
Sweet!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Wow!!!

I just bought 2 running tacos ( 97 & 98 ) they are rough as hell and I was going to use for parts but the frames have gone to hell. so I took them to the dealer yesterday. I am getting $30,000 for them!!!!!! my taco is going to be looking right!!!! ( thank god my 98 taco I got right now is in awesome condition! ) only gave 3500 for those 2 tacos

Quick Reply: All 95-00 Tacoma Drivers Read This!