Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AIRAID MIT/Notchy shift fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIRAID MIT/Notchy shift fix

First off... just installed the Deckplate/AIRAID deal today and I absolutely love it. Because I'm still in awe of the awesome sound at WOT I haven't really been paying attention to the power increase but I'm sure it's there as throttle response has improved. I used to feel the kick when it hit 3,000 RPM's but now it kicks more around the 2,500 RPM. In any case... I like the mods and I am now on my way to losing gas milage because of my heavier foot (I LOVE THE SOUND AT WOT TOO MUCH!). Anyways... to the point. To anyone thinking of doing the ISR mod... I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the AIRAID MIT. It was amazing how smooth the install was (definitely worth the $89). All hoses and clamps that you need are there. Though it may be more fun to do the ISR mod... the RIGHT way to do it is with the AIRAID MIT.

On another note: whoever posted the "overfilling the tranny" trick to get rid of the notchy shifting was right on. Instead of overfilling the tranny with gear oil I simply added a 6oz tube of BG tranny additive. Ramped the right side of my truck and poured it in. No need to take off the gear shifter to fill it. My shifting is back to how it was with little or no notch. This REALLY did the trick. Overfill it just a lil. The 6oz tube comes out to about 1/6 quart which I think was plenty. Anyways... those are my 2 cents for the day. Lates!
Old 02-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

I just recently did the airaid mit too and its awesome. Really cleans up the intake area and gives you that little oomph when taking off. I didnt get that notchy shifting you're talking about but I just recently had my tranny flushed and it is silky smooth. I did however, get an intermittent surging when in gear and idle (stopped with foot on break) but not when I'm driving, in park or neutral or in reverse. Its pretty bad and annoying. The truck sometimes jerks too. It's like when you're seafoaming through the pcv hose, only not as pronounced, except when it jerks. I'm thinking maybe one of the hoses they sent is cracked or something causing a vacuum leak? Did you notice anytihng different with your idle?
Old 02-19-2005, 08:10 PM

No, I didn't notice a big difference in idle. It's cold here so the idle is always jumping around when it's warming up. Usually it sits right below 1,000 rpm. Maybe a vacuum hose? Did you remember to reset your EFI by taking out the fuse for 15 seconds? That's all I can really think of. I'd check the hoses to make sure everything is good. Did you realize this issue RIGHT after you installed the MIT?

On a side note: Just had a 4x9x18 Mangaflow with a turn down installed. The truck sounds and performs awesome. Let me know if you figure out what's up with your idle deal. G'luck.

edit: I have a manual so I may not be able to diagnose your issue that well.

Last edited by Poopshute; 02-19-2005 at 08:11 PM.